Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

+14
Jhe10077
Badges
offdrive4
adelaide
guildfordbat
OvalCynic
kjb
Jackers
Benmug
Chinaman
Alex!
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Ray AFCW
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

Post by Jedrich Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:04 pm

Moving permanently at the end of the season.

Jedrich

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

Post by Alex! Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Appalling from Surrey, to be honest

Alex!

Jackers and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:26 pm

Good for Dan. Taking control of his career. I hope he does well up there.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat, Badges and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:36 pm

Incredibly short-sighted. There is zero evidence he is not good enough: quite the opposite. We may not currently be favouring spin, but within two or three years that could well change. Far better to loan him.out again in the meantime. Wretched decision. And he is an asset at T20.
I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back like Rikki Clarke and Dom Sibley. Hopefully as soon as the latter rather than the former.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:57 pm

Moriarty's a more than decent player and I'm sorry he's going but it is his decision. We have to understand that. It's not as if Surrey have given him the boot.

I can understand his frustration at not being in the Championship side and wanting away. However, we shouldn't be selecting someone just so they won't want to leave. It's not as if we've done badly without him last season or this. Nor do I consider it realistic for him to keep going on loan until a more permanent opening for him appears at some unknown future date.

guildfordbat

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 pm

Very sad news IMHO.I think he has been treated abysmally by Surrey CCC and more and more supporters/members are getting to know what that feels like.

All the very best Dan.

Badges

Jackers, dougieginn, RightArmSlow and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:47 pm

The Professor never seemed to be given the opportunities he needed. Rather sad, I think he is a decent bowler.

offdrive4

Jackers, SimonH, Badges, RightArmSlow and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:09 pm

I guess this is inevitable, but pleased* (for his sake) to see Moriarty move on, hope he does well at Yorkshire.

I presume he's going there to replace Dom Bess, who looks like he's on his way somewhere ... https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/3010902/county-cricket-ins-and-outs-signings-and-departures-for-2023-season ... Dom Bess (Loans to Warwickshire 25 June-9 July; Somerset from 10 July) ... https://somersetcountycc.co.uk/news/first-xi/dom-bess-signs-short-term-loan/

It's good for Cam Steel though. Don't know where it leaves Amar Virdi though - 2 one day games this season doesn't show we've got much confidence in him. And I wonder if it means that we've got a spinner coming to join us?

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:18 pm

Well done Batty ,finally got rid of a fine prospect, won’t be long before you get rid of Virdi,and tykes there were none. I think there’s jealousy that Moriarty and Virdi would have shown how ordinary Batty was as a spinner I sure Surrey will regret the seamer obsession he has and regret losing a fine prospect!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:35 pm

dougieginn wrote:Well done Batty ,finally got rid of a fine prospect, won’t be long before you get rid of Virdi,and tykes there were none. I think there’s jealousy that Moriarty and Virdi would have shown how ordinary Batty was as a spinner I sure Surrey will regret the seamer obsession he has and regret losing a fine prospect!!!

If they were that good they would have featured in the Championship side. I don't see where jealousy comes in to it. We haven't needed either because our seam attack has won two Championships with a third very likely. There is no argument and both will be much better off furthering their careers elsewhere if they can. In my view both are one dimensional players and actually rather average spinners. Virdi  has gone to pieces since 2019, and is half the promising bowler he was. I don't mean to be unkind but Jacks and Steel (top wicket taker for us in the ODC) can do the job and offer so much more.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:15 pm

How you can state that “Virdi has gone to pieces” I don’t know.He has’nt played for ages,for goodness sake!! To suggest that Jacks (17 @ 47) and Steel (10 @ 40.50) are good enough replacements isn’t borne out by those statistics. What Steel has done in the 2 nd team ODC is irrelevant in the real world. Because we’ve won one CC without a spinner and one with a spinner (2019) doesn’t mean we don’t need one!! Cannot understand why this obsession in pretending Steel is the best. thing since sliced bread is beyond me. Be real!!!

Last edited by dougieginn on Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:18 pm

Virdi played every CC game in 2018 when we won it,taking 39 wickets.

Badges

dougieginn, Jason and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:22 pm

[quote="Badges"]Virdi played every CC game in 2018 when we won it,taking 39 wickets.[/quote
More than 50% more wickets than than Jacks and Steel combined then!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:35 pm

dougieginn wrote:
Badges wrote:Virdi played every CC game in 2018 when we won it,taking 39 wickets.[/quote
More than 50% more wickets than than Jacks and Steel combined then!!!

My error, but he's been rubbish ever since. The issue, and I repeat for the last time I hope, we are where we are in the Championship and have not needed either of them.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:50 pm

He’s been rubbish since then(quote )How many matches has he had since then???? Certainly none last year!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Don’t think Batty has ever forgiven Virdi for out bowling him at Trent Bridge a few years ago,by taking 14 wickets in the match whilst Batty himself only took 4 on a turning wicket.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:51 pm

dougieginn wrote:Don’t think Batty has ever  forgiven Virdi for out bowling him at Trent Bridge a few years ago,by taking 14 wickets in the match whilst Batty himself only took 4 on a turning wicket.

I think that was a "comeback" for Virdi after being told he wasn't fit enough (what a joke) to play Cricket.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:01 pm

Pretty good comeback then!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:42 pm

dougieginn wrote:He’s been rubbish since then(quote )How many matches has he had since then???? Certainly none last year!!!

I wonder why? What a performance today.

(We lent him to Somerset and from memory he took around 0/150
They didn't want him back.)

And really I don't think Batty is holding any grudges.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:00 pm

It’s explains a lot if he is bearing a grudge,at least Gough has considerably better judgement than the myopic Batty,and can recognise real talent when he sees it.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:48 pm

"Real talent". Oh dear.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:09 pm

Chinaman wrote:"Real talent". Oh dear.
Quite obviously you are in the same class as Batty when it comes to recognising talent!! Someone with talent is someone who delivers,which both Moriarty and Virdi have shown in the past seasons prior the Myopic Batty,doubt if Warne would have got into the side if Batty was in charge!! Gough realises talent or he wouldn’t have signed Moriarty,would he??? Because Batty hasn’t picked them,doesn’t mean they are no good!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:07 pm

Virdi played almost every game in the second half of 2019, as well as (I think) every game in 2020 and 2021. His form - and economy rate - were well off the pace.

Moriarty played in the 501 game at Kent this year and at Old Trafford last year, so had clearly usurped him anyway.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:57 pm

dougieginn wrote:
Chinaman wrote:"Real talent". Oh dear.
Quite obviously you are in the same class as Batty when it comes to recognising talent!! Someone with talent is someone who delivers,which both Moriarty and Virdi have shown in the past seasons prior the Myopic Batty,doubt if Warne would have got into the side if Batty was in charge!! Gough realises talent or he wouldn’t have signed Moriarty,would he??? Because Batty hasn’t picked them,doesn’t mean they are no good!!

No they have not shown anywhere near enough since 2020. When did Virdi last deliver anything? Batty has picked the best side to advance in the Championship and has delivered on all fronts. I'm not sure where this supposed Batty bias thing is coming from? Statistically neither are up to the mark, especially Virdi who bowled two overs today for 20 in this "Second 11" competition . Going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:12 am

I think Mozza has shown he can cut it at this level.

RB

dougieginn and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum