Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

+14
Jhe10077
Badges
offdrive4
adelaide
guildfordbat
OvalCynic
kjb
Jackers
Benmug
Chinaman
Alex!
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Ray AFCW
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

Post by Jackers Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:55 am

He absolutely has. As a 21-year old, he played 2 games in the 2020 Bob Willis Trophy, taking 17 wickets at an average of 20. Virdi averaged 26 from his 5 games (respectable), Gus Atkinson took 4 wickets at 32.

The next year (2021) he played 4 championship matches and took 18 wickets at 29. Not as cheap, but under 30 and with a healthy strike rate. Virdi was clearly in decline by then, averaging 34 and taking just 28 wickets from nearly three times as many matches (11).

When you factor in that Dan is clearly the better one-day bowler (especially at T20) it seems madness to even contemplate keeping Virdi and not him on the staff. Yes, there is the other young lad Yousef Majid who bowls left-arm, but we really haven't seen enough of him to know whether he is ever going to come through. We know that Moriarty is a class act.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dan Moriarty loaned to Yorkshire

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:23 am

Jackers wrote:He absolutely has. As a 21-year old, he played 2 games in the 2020 Bob Willis Trophy, taking 17 wickets at an average of 20. Virdi averaged 26 from his 5 games (respectable), Gus Atkinson took 4 wickets at 32.

The next year (2021) he played 4 championship matches and took 18 wickets at 29. Not as cheap, but under 30 and with a healthy strike rate. Virdi was clearly in decline by then, averaging 34 and taking just 28 wickets from nearly three times as many matches (11).

When you factor in that Dan is clearly the better one-day bowler (especially at T20) it seems madness to even contemplate keeping Virdi and not him on the staff. Yes, there is the other young lad Yousef Majid who bowls left-arm, but we really haven't seen enough of him to know whether he is ever going to come through. We know that Moriarty is a class act.

But it's not the case of Surrey not wanting to keep Moriarty on the staff. It seems clear from the Club website that Stewart had much discussion with him and wanted him to stay. As per an earlier post, it is Moriarty's choice and his decision to leave. Whether he is better than Virdi and other Surrey bowlers and, if so, by how much is irrelevant to that.

guildfordbat

Chinaman and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:28 am

Even if that is true that it is Moriarty's decision to leave (and it may be), what a terrible indictment of Surrey that he should feel that he has to do so to have any prospect of even semi-regular first-team cricket. At least when Sibley left we got Rikki Clarke back as a quid pro quo. Looking back we had the best of both worlds over that deal: two terrific years of Rikki and a much-improved Sibley available to play any time we needed him back with us now. In contrast, I cannot for the life of me see the upside for the club in this.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:41 pm

Jackers wrote:Even if that is true that it is Moriarty's decision to leave (and it may be), what a terrible indictment of Surrey that he should feel that he has to do so to have any prospect of even semi-regular first-team cricket. At least when Sibley left we got Rikki Clarke back as a quid pro quo. Looking back we had the best of both worlds over that deal: two terrific years of Rikki and a much-improved Sibley available to play any time we needed him back with us now. In contrast, I cannot for the life of me see the upside for the club in this.

There isn't an upside for the club in this and that is why the club didn't want it to happen. However, the decision was understandable and almost inevevitable for which I blame no one.

Moriarty is a good player who wants more regular first team cricket, particularly in the Championship. I totally get that and therefore don't fault him in wanting away.

Surrey have adopted a strategy that has seen him very little used during the last two Champioship seasons in which we have won the title and currently top the table. That's been tough on Moriarty but I don't fault the club either for hardly selecting him for Championship matches when we've demonstrably been successful.

Just to add that if Yorkshire didn't have a ''Rikki type'' whom we wanted, it would have served no useful purpose to hold out for a player in exchange.

guildfordbat

SimonH, Cee Gee and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:22 pm

I think the timing of the Hundred is having a detrimental effect on spin Bowling in this country. August in England is normally a dry spell you would expect spinners to come into play. The Hundred has stunted their growth big time.

Jhe10077

dougieginn, Chinaman and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:24 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:I think the timing of the Hundred is having a detrimental effect on spin Bowling in this country. August in England is  normally a  dry spell you would expect spinners to come into play. The Hundred has stunted their growth big time.

STBO?

VicNorth

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4