Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd Test Lords 28 July

+19
Cee Gee
Howzat
optimistnot
Keith Powell
Benmug
Badges
Sir Winston Churchill
kjb
dougieginn
Jedrich
guildfordbat
Andy1210
VicNorth
Pink Panther
Vauxhall
Alex!
Jackers
Coatesy
Chinaman
23 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2nd Test Lords 28 July - Page 6 Empty Re: 2nd Test Lords 28 July

Post by adelaide Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:19 pm

Badges wrote:
adelaide wrote:
Badges wrote:The worst things i have seen in my Cricket watching days,1963 to date.In no particular order.............

The Brian Rose declaration 1979.

The Trevor Chappell underarm 1981

Any and all "Mankads."

ANTIGUA 2018.Possibly the worst thing i've ever personally witnessed on a Cricket field.With Kent winning easily only 1 wicket down they denied Crawley a first century by bowling wides.Dickson,on strike,tried to block a deliberate wide but got too strong a touch.2 fielders then shepherded the ball to the boundary with no attempt to stop it.Crawley ended 99*

That's interesting. Mankading an opponent who is trying to make it easier to score a run is unacceptable, even after a warning, but dismissing someone who is not trying to get any advantage is fine. I don't get that.

PLEASE IGNORE MY POSTS.YOU GET ON MY FUCKING NERVES.THANKYOU.

As you have asked so eloquently, I'll try and remember not to reply (except to this one). If it's OK with you, I might read the odd one. I might even hit the LIKE button.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:15 am

Pretty sad and funny at the same time.On Resumption in the World Cup South Africa requiring 24 off 1 Ball.Must admit I found it more funny. Shame Graeme Smith wasn’t old enough to be playing would’ve love he’s expression.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:31 pm

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:10 pm

Does anyone remember the Wally Grout/Fred Titmus incident of 1964?Titmus (used as an emergency opener if memory serves) collided with a fielder while taking a single with Geoff Boycott.
The ball was thrown in to Grout who,instead of running him out called him back in.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:24 pm

Hi Badges - that's pure gold and shows McCullum up for the shameful hypocrite he is.

guildfordbat

Badges and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:43 pm

Bairstow scratch his Bat then left the crease.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Hi Badges - that's pure gold and shows McCullum up for the shameful hypocrite he is.

Blimey it's almost the identical.
It also says that England would have almost for sure done the same thing if it were the other way round.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:25 pm

Chinaman wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

It also says that England would have almost for sure done the same thing if it were the other way round.
The appeal was eventually withdrawn.

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:46 pm

Jedrich wrote:
Chinaman wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

The appeal was eventually withdrawn.

Really? When I viewed the clip there was no mention of that rather saiient difference. I wonder why? For that matter, there's nothing on the clip about England doing the same.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:19 pm

It may have been withdrawn, but  McCullum was the wicket keeper who attempted to get the batsman dismissed in identical circumstances. It was I believe Daniel Vetori who overruled him, though he did not need to do so.

That wasn't the only time McCullum did something similar: he also ran out Muralitharin when he stepped out to congratulate Kumar Sangakka on reaching a century. That one wasn't overruled.

Enough of the hypocrisy.

Last edited by Jackers on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:38 pm

You never going to know but I feel Ben would’ve withdrew the appeal and called the player Back.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

adelaide wrote:
Badges wrote:
adelaide wrote:
Badges wrote:The worst things i have seen in my Cricket watching days,1963 to date.In no particular order.............

Any and all "Mankads."

ANTIGUA 2018.Possibly the worst thing i've ever personally witnessed on a Cricket field.With Kent winning easily only 1 wicket down they denied Crawley a first century by bowling wides.Dickson,on strike,tried to block a deliberate wide but got too strong a touch.2 fielders then shepherded the ball to the boundary with no attempt to stop it.Crawley ended 99*

That's interesting. Mankading an opponent who is trying to make it easier to score a run is unacceptable, even after a warning, but dismissing someone who is not trying to get any advantage is fine. I don't get that.

As you have asked so eloquently, I'll try and remember not to reply (except to this one). If it's OK with you, I might read the odd one. I might even hit the LIKE button.

Adelaide - have you ever hit the LIKE button for any Surrey poster on this forum? I've never noticed if you have. If you did occasionally or even a tiny bit more, it might lessen suspicions of wumming.

guildfordbat

adelaide likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:30 pm

Jackers wrote:It may have been withdrawn, but  McCullum was the wicket keeper who attempted to get the batsman dismissed in identical circumstances. It was I believe Daniel Vetori who overruled him, though he did not need to do so.

That wasn't the only time McCullum did something similar: he also ran out Muralitharin when he stepped out to congratulate Kumar Sangakka on reaching a century. That one wasn't overruled.

Enough of the hypocrisy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgvjC9WUCs

Last edited by Badges on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:34 pm

Bairstow stumps Patel........make of it what you will.I make it sneaky and underhand personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN80TTaTloE

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:42 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:
Badges wrote:
adelaide wrote:

Any and all "Mankads."

Adelaide - have you ever hit the LIKE button for any Surrey poster on this forum? I've never noticed if you have. If you did occasionally or even a tiny bit more, it might lessen suspicions of wumming.

I have done so a few times but I'm not really attuned to the social media world of LIKE buttons (where's the DISLIKE one BTW?) so it's not often something I think of doing. I suspect I am not unique amongst posters of my age. The button was staring me in the face when I replied to Badges though so I thought I would (to misquote the great Barry Davies from that Wembley semi-final) use it by not using it.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:02 pm

adelaide wrote:Lack of concentration, naivety and sheer doziness can be factors in bog standard dismissals so no, I do not overlook them. That's a normal part of sport. Indeed, it was probably my USP when I was playing! The distinction in my mind is between doziness etc when in the act of bowling, batting or fielding and doziness at a point when none of those is really taking place. Yes, it was dozy and yes, it had to be given out but we'll just have to differ on whether the Australians could or should have withdrawn the appeal.

Would it have been given out in pre-DRS days? On the Yorkshire forum, someone found a clip of Shai Hope doing something vaguely similar (he was keeper; Bairstow wasn't playing) and all the players celebrating. It was given not out. The umpires may have declined to give it out because neither of them was looking but I did find myself wondering whether they just decided they could tell Yorkshire to go forth and multiply as there was no DRS to contradict them out after the event. (I say "vaguely similar" because I can't tell from the clip whether the batsman was wandering a la Bairstow or taking his guard outside the crease.)

The Bairstow dismissal has taken attention away from the bumperfest that first England, then Australia resorted to. It almost seemed as if the bowlers were trying to bore the batsmen into hooking or pulling, even with three fielders waiting in the deep. It worked for both teams but if fast medium bumpers are the shape of things to come I find the thought rather depressing.

The placid surface at Lord's has a part to play here.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:36 am

Didn’t realise some many Aussies exiles support Surrey!

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:39 am

adelaide wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

I have done so a few times but I'm not really attuned to the social media world of LIKE buttons (where's the DISLIKE one BTW?) so it's not often something I think of doing. I suspect I am not unique amongst posters of my age. The button was staring me in the face when I replied to Badges though so I thought I would (to misquote the great Barry Davies from that Wembley semi-final) use it by not using it.

That seems unbelievable b*ll*cks to me but let's move on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:40 am

Badges wrote:
Jackers wrote:It may have been withdrawn, but  McCullum was the wicket keeper who attempted to get the batsman dismissed in identical circumstances. It was I believe Daniel Vetori who overruled him, though he did not need to do so.

Enough of the hypocrisy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgvjC9WUCs

Whilst not defending McCullum on this, its not entirely clear that the batsman isnt trying to take another run. He turns to 'congratulate' Kumar when the ball is in the air from the throw. He could have at least waited for the ball to be back with McCullum and then to congratulate

at the end of the day, whats done is done, right or wrong, its not going to change and there will be so many arguments either way.

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:56 am

Coatesy wrote:

at the end of the day, whats done is done, right or wrong, its not going to change and there will be so many arguments either way.

Hi Coatesy - Yep and as Alec often says, ''It's a game of opinions''.

What grates for me though is that when he was trying to take the moral high ground and effectively slating the Australian team at the end of the Test, there was no acknowledgement (that I heard) from McCullum of his past actions and apparent subsequent change of beliefs.

A hypocritical chancer in my book.

guildfordbat

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:16 am

guildfordbat wrote:
adelaide wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

That seems unbelievable b*ll*cks to me but let's move on.

Yes, let's move on but my views on LIKE buttons are genuine; perhaps I explained them too flippantly.

On some sites (like BBC Have Your Say) you see that a poster has expressed sympathy for someone who has had some sort of personal tragedy and then a stream of lowlifes has disliked, voted thumbs down or whatever (which probably answers my question about the absence of a DISLIKE button here). That is one reason why I think LIKE buttons and so on are pretty much a waste of time. The other is "so 2 out of 60 like this post - so what?" So I rarely use them. I might think of doing so if I see a really well made point but even then I probably don't bother - if I like such and such a post - so what?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6