Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38!

+10
KeninWestWickham
Chinaman
adelaide
Jackers
Ali888
Cee Gee
RB
Badges
Bhambrownhatter
SimonH
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38! Empty Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38!

Post by SimonH Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:33 pm

... just as well Dan Moriarty's transfer wasn't with immediate effect.

Does anyone know what's happened to the four players I marked as MIA? All four of them have been playing for Surrey 2nds up until Jun/Jul. Are they injured, not good enough, something else?

(Some of these may be wrong, just wanted to annoy myself by making a list)

Available
Amar Virdi
Ben Geddes
Cameron Steel
Daniel Moriarty
Dominic Sibley
Josh Blake
Luke Griffiths
Rory Burns
Ryan Patel
Conor McKerr
Tommy Ealham

Injured
Ben Foakes
Yousef Majid
Jordan Clark
Matthew Dunn
Ollie Pope

Missing in action
James Taylor
Nathan Barnwell
Nick Kimber
Nico Reifer

Overseas
Sean Abbott
Sunil Narine
Kemar Roach
Tom Latham

H*ndred
Chris Jordan
Daniel Worrall
Gus Atkinson
Jamie Overton
Jamie Smith
Jason Roy
Laurie Evans
Reece Topley
Sam Curran
Will Jacks
Tom Curran
Tom Lawes

Last edited by SimonH on Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38! Empty Re: Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38!

Post by Bhambrownhatter Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:55 am

Who’s Reece Topley …….?

Bhambrownhatter

SimonH and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38! Empty Re: Thirty six players ... thirty six ... then 37, now 38!

Post by SimonH Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:58 pm

Bhambrownhatter wrote:Who’s Reece Topley …….?

We'd be better off ditching a third of the squad as they never play for us, incl. Topley.

SimonH

Badges and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:20 pm

Especially Topley.Hasn't bowled a ball in anger for us all season yet is fit for the circus.

Badges

Jason and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:12 pm

Someone needs to make this point at the next forum. I can just about accept players who we only ever see for the entire T20 Blast (Jordan, Evans, Roy, both Currans) but at this point we have simply too many of them, and whilst there's a big difference between players we have had who used to play first class cricket for us (i.e. those we developed, such as Roy, Curran x2, etc), signing Evans and Jordan was a mistake and a colossal waste of money.

At forums, Stewie brushes this aside with "would you rather they played for someone else then against us" and someone needs to say that's not acceptable.

Use the money on players who aren't liable to being called up for the Hundred - although we have been uniquely unlucky here with Smith, Atkinson, Lawes, and Worrall (who you wouldn't have thought would have been called up) - and stop bitching about "development" and availability.

We could/should have won all three trophies this year - our batting in the ODC has hugely underperformed regardless.

RB

Jackers, SimonH, Jason, Badges and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 pm

RB wrote:Someone needs to make this point at the next forum. I can just about accept players who we only ever see for the entire T20 Blast (Jordan, Evans, Roy, both Currans) but at this point we have simply too many of them, and whilst there's a big difference between players we have had who used to play first class cricket for us (i.e. those we developed, such as Roy, Curran x2, etc), signing Evans and Jordan was a mistake and a colossal waste of money.

At forums, Stewie brushes this aside with "would you rather they played for someone else then against us" and someone needs to say that's not acceptable.

Use the money on players who aren't liable to being called up for the Hundred - although we have been uniquely unlucky here with Smith, Atkinson, Lawes, and Worrall (who you wouldn't have thought would have been called up) - and stop bitching about "development" and availability.

We could/should have won all three trophies this year - our batting in the ODC has hugely underperformed regardless.

RB - do you know what Evans and Jordan are being paid? I don’t, but I assume you do given you’ve decided their contribution represents a ‘colossal waste of money’.

I thought both were good this season in the Blast and a key reason why we even made it to finals day - which given you think we should have won all three trophies this season I’d be keen to know how you would use the money saved by not having two match winners in Evans and Jordan and still being able to win even 2 of the 3 competitions.

Cee Gee

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:44 pm

Cee Gee wrote:
RB wrote:Someone needs to make this point at the next forum. I can just about accept players who we only ever see for the entire T20 Blast (Jordan, Evans, Roy, both Currans) but at this point we have simply too many of them, and whilst there's a big difference between players we have had who used to play first class cricket for us (i.e. those we developed, such as Roy, Curran x2, etc), signing Evans and Jordan was a mistake and a colossal waste of money.

RB - do you know what Evans and Jordan are being paid? I don’t, but I assume you do given you’ve decided their contribution represents a ‘colossal waste of money’.

I thought both were good this season in the Blast and a key reason why we even made it to finals day - which given you think we should have won all three trophies this season I’d be keen to know how you would use the money saved by not having two match winners in Evans and Jordan and still being able to win even 2 of the 3 competitions.

I highly doubt both - neither of whom are centrally contracted any more - would have left Sussex if money wasn't a factor. I have been critical of Jordan's captaincy in the T20 and I continue to be so. Bear in mind he didn't even show up for us until the IPL was over and Sam Curran not only deputised admirably, he arguably deputised better than Jordan did. Exhibit A was the use of Will Jacks as a bowler. (As a sidenote, I think Rory Burns's captaincy in both formats has been excellent this season.)

We could have signed players who aren't Hundred-contracted rather than signing two players that we knew we were not going to see for the majority of the season. That's my point.

RB

dougieginn and SimonH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:49 pm

If you ask Stewart (who dubbed us "keyboard warriors" in an interview with Annie Chave for County Cricket Matters) anything all you get is the usual platitudes.
If you asked him or Batty what on earth was going on at the two Guildford games i guarantee the answer would be "It's not ideal." They have a raft of these sayings for all occasions.Ask a player if he's fit and they will tell you "I'm getting there." It doesn't mean anything.
I thought the way Alec spoke to that old boy (even older than me!) a year or two ago ,asking him how good a batsman he was etc because he had the temerity to ask what was going on with Surrey,was disgraceful.

Badges

dougieginn, SimonH and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:37 pm

I thought that Evans and Jordan were both developed by Surrey.

Ali888

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhambrownhatter Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:10 pm

I think the frustration of many is easy to understand. Whether these players have been developed by Surrey or not, no member or supporter feels any real affinity with them. You see the list of great names attached to Surrey but are left to conclude ‘so what?’The fact Narine couldn’t play in the final actually made a mockery of the whole T20 set up. Personally I was frustrated that Abbott often came in so low down, particularly given the fact that I have viewed him as a key ‘team’ man for the majority of the season. I think one further point to add to the frustrations of many is the fact there is no meaningful cricket for the whole of August and it is no surprise that passionate Surrey members find themselves feeling generally annoyed that so many Surrey players are playing cricket on August, but not due Surrey, while they sit and watch a Surrey side getting annihilated by all and sundry. A further point to consider is one hopes this does not impact on our championship run in.

Bhambrownhatter

Jackers, dougieginn, SimonH, Erniep7070 and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:25 pm

Ali888 wrote:

I thought that Evans and Jordan were both developed by Surrey.

We re-signed them from Sussex recently, so I consider that a moot point.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:47 am

Down to 8 fit pros now. Plus the 3 club players Griffiths, Ealham, and Krish Patel.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Bhambrownhatter Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 am

It’s disgusting - probably the county with the highest wage bill and we are being placed in a position where we can’t field a team. The championship too is fast becoming a fiasco. What other sporting competition sees you play some teams once and others twice?

Bhambrownhatter

SimonH, Badges and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:11 am

Rory Burns, Jordan Clark and Ben Foakes are all now injured ahead of the championship run-in. Burns injured his ankle in the warm-up (again). You'd have thought the captain would have stopped that football nonsense. Oh, wait...!

What an unmitigated disaster this excuse for a competition has been.

Last edited by Jackers on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:12 am

I fear the words injured and rested are now used interchangeably.

VicNorth

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 pm

Strange how our better players have gone missing throughout this fiasco tournament.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:11 pm

Especially once chance of progressing was gone.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 am

When I saw the heading change, I immediately thought of rabbits.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:22 am

I thought we were up to Now 105. I've got Now 3, it's a rare one.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:15 am

Chinaman wrote:I thought we were up to Now 105. I've got Now 3, it's a rare one.

Ha ha … I was thinking of that when I edited the title …

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Nico Reifer playing for Northants 2s.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by KeninWestWickham Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:33 pm

SimonH wrote:... just as well Dan Moriarty's transfer wasn't with immediate effect.

Does anyone know what's happened to the four players I marked as MIA? All four of them have been playing for Surrey 2nds up until Jun/Jul. Are they injured, not good enough, something else?

(Some of these may be wrong, just wanted to annoy myself by making a list)

Available
Amar Virdi
Ben Geddes
Cameron Steel
Daniel Moriarty
Dominic Sibley
Josh Blake
Luke Griffiths
Rory Burns
Ryan Patel
Conor McKerr
Tommy Ealham

Injured
Ben Foakes
Yousef Majid
Jordan Clark
Matthew Dunn
Ollie Pope

Missing in action
James Taylor
Nathan Barnwell
Nick Kimber
Nico Reifer

Overseas
Sean Abbott
Sunil Narine
Kemar Roach
Tom Latham

H*ndred
Chris Jordan
Daniel Worrall
Gus Atkinson
Jamie Overton
Jamie Smith
Jason Roy
Laurie Evans
Reece Topley
Sam Curran
Will Jacks
Tom Curran
Tom Lawes

Which other cricket forum could give you a category ‘missing in action’? Chapeau

KeninWestWickham

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:37 pm

KeninWestWickham wrote: Which other cricket forum could give you a category ‘missing in action’? Chapeau

Sorry, couldn't think of another category!

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:52 pm

SimonH wrote:... just as well Dan Moriarty's transfer wasn't with immediate effect.

Does anyone know what's happened to the four players I marked as MIA?

Missing in action
James Taylor
Nathan Barnwell
Nick Kimber
Nico Reifer

I think I posted elsewhere, but maybe not, Taylor and Barnwell are injured.

Ali888

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonH Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:32 pm

Ali888 wrote:

Does anyone know what's happened to the four players I marked as MIA?

Missing in action
James Taylor
Nathan Barnwell
Nick Kimber
Nico Reifer

I think I posted elsewhere, but maybe not, Taylor and Barnwell are injured.

I think you did post it, I was just too lazy to split the groups into MIA and Injured.

I may have missed the club's announcements of what people are up to, but still seems odd we'd drag some kids out of the academy teams if we had 2nd XI players who are fit.

(Not against chucking the kids into the 1st XI at all, in fact I'd rather have Ealham/Majid/Griffiths/etc in the T20 side than the usual mercenaries; but would rather that we were doing it through choice instead of having to do it because the eighteen counties sold English cricket and our original first XI for thirty pieces of silver).

SimonH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next