Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches

3 posters

Go down

Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches Empty Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches

Post by David Waghorn Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:47 pm

I don't know if anyone has a good and fair explanation of this but I have been listening to the latest round of CC matches on the BBC local radio links. How is it possibly fair for Zac Crawley to be able to play for Kent whilst Notts, their opponents, have both Duckett and Broad missing. OK Notts are pretty safe in mid-table and Kent are fighting to avoid relegation but I cannot see Middlesex or Northants being happy if the ECB have allowed Crawley to play for their major opponent but stopped Duckett and Broad playing. Broad cannot have the excuse that he needs to rest for England as he has announced his retirement from Test Cricket. Surely he is still a Notts player to the end of the season and could have played these last 3 games. The omission of Duckett is even stranger - is he injured? Crawley has scored a probable match winning big hundred for Kent.

Overall this is another example of how the ECB needs to radically review the red ball game, support it, return it to 2 divs of 9 teams so that everyone can play opponents home and away and stop having the whole main summer month of August without any proper cricket. These central contracts also need urgent review with players playing so little cricket for their home counties.

David Waghorn

Jackers, Robertoflondon, Chinaman and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches Empty Re: Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches

Post by Cee Gee Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:26 am

Stuart Broad has retired from cricket. Players get stick on this board for coming out of retirement and now sticking to retirement. Nobody can win.

Cee Gee

dougieginn, RB and MatthewC like this post

Back to top Go down

Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches Empty Re: Implications of Test contracted players missing September CC matches

Post by Chinaman Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:58 am

Yes very good but - the whole of August is blocked by the 100 at least until 2028. You could play the CC as well, but with greatly depleted teams, a sort of 4 Day wokey ODC. Not sure that will please any one even if you play all teams twice.
And yes if Crawley can play for Kent then so should all other test players also play for their county, otherwise it just becomes both one sided and unfair and ultimately a bit pointless. The County Championship should have as many of the best players as possible in it, look what's happened to the ODC! And ultimately 4 competitions don't fit proving that more is rarely better. Putting it crudely, the 100 has f***ed up the whole season, even the Ashes.
Cricket, or proper cricket should I say, needs a major rethink and restructuring. You won't get that with the ECB, even with the two Dicks, who seem to have sold their souls to the hit and giggle. Now where have I heard that before.....

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down