Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"All Professional Cricketers Will Be Required To Do Diversity Training"

+6
Sir Winston Churchill
VicNorth
Jackers
Ali888
Ray AFCW
Chinaman
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"All Professional Cricketers Will Be Required To Do Diversity Training" - Page 2 Empty Re: "All Professional Cricketers Will Be Required To Do Diversity Training"

Post by adelaide Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:17 am

Chinaman

Your previous post seemed like your usual antiwoke thoughts with a little bit of cricket-related fig leaf sewn on at the end! Now I could engage vigorously and (just as) repetitively on this thread on the general issues but other posters clearly didn't want to see such exchanges, hence the other thread.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

"All Professional Cricketers Will Be Required To Do Diversity Training" - Page 2 Empty Re: "All Professional Cricketers Will Be Required To Do Diversity Training"

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:22 am

Well please engage vigorously on the other thread if you wish, but this is Cricket related and many do want to comment
apparently.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:53 am

Yes, comment on the cricket.

A bit rich to suggest that I should engage on the general issues on the ABC thread to highly general comments that you have made on this thread. You could take your own advice and only post such general comments on that ABC thread.

If you argue that the general antiwoke stuff is relevant, then so too would be the rejoinders and we would be ack to square one.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm

Absolutely not possible.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:41 pm

adelaide wrote:Yes, comment on the cricket.

A bit rich to suggest that I should engage on the general issues on the ABC thread to highly general comments that you have made on this thread. You could take your own advice and only post such general comments on that ABC thread.

If you argue that the general antiwoke stuff is relevant, then so too would be the rejoinders and we would be ack to square one.

They are not general comments! It's a cricket issue whether you like it or not.
What is "rejoinders"? Do you mean remainers? So your bringing Brexit into the discussion? Sorry wrong thread. You said it!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:18 pm

Rejoinders, answers, replies, responses.

Ali888

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:52 am

Chinaman wrote:
adelaide wrote:Yes, comment on the cricket.

They are not general comments! It's a cricket issue whether you like it or not.
What is "rejoinders"? Do you mean remainers? So your bringing Brexit into the discussion?  Sorry wrong thread. You said it!

As Ali's post has surely made clear, I most definitely have not brought Brexit into the discussion!

Brexit was relevant to cricket as it changed who/how you could recruit, in particular Kolpaks disappeared. But if I had posted on Kolpaks I would not have shoehorned in rhetoric about the economic effects of Brexit or how it was impossible to argue with [insert according to taste] because they just shouted you down, as it would have been irrelevant to cricket. As is, in my view, some (not all) of the stuff you have posted on this thread. I'll leave that side there, as others are probably finding this aspect as tedious as the exchanges which led to you setting yup the separate thread in the first place.

Sticking to the substance of the thread, I think a mountain may be being made out of a molehill here. My recollection of the only diversity thing I went on at work was that it lasted an hour and was more about understanding than aggressive prescription and not remotely controversial in content. I'm not sure it told me anything I didn't already know but we all say that after courses, even if they did"! Maybe it has mushroomed into a month long slogathon since then but I rather doubt it.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:38 pm

Your first paragraph makes little sense. If Brexit is relevant to cricket when it suits, then cricketers being coerced to take diversity courses is also relevant. And Brexit, at least to remoaners, is also shouted down. You can't just pick and choose to suit the mood I'm afraid.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:56 pm

I see in response to the ICEC Report on racism the ECB is going to "change the game" and adopt most of 44 actions and, get this, 137 sub actions. One example quote -
"Assess venues that have been allocated the right to stage major matches with regard to their standards of equality, diversity and inclusion, and adjust the allocations if there is evidence of non-compliance". Sounds like blackmail to me

Let's have another-
"Publish an annual progress report and a full State of Equity Report every three years". Oh dear more diversity rubbish.

They are committed to -
" a positive direction of travel on 94% of them". Sounds like wokery to me. I'm beginning to think I've had enough of cricket, think I'll train up to be the oldest man to swim the Channel (unless the Channel Swimming Association has gone woke as well.

Chinaman

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vauxhall Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:47 pm

adelaide wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:
Vauxhall wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:I think we should appoint Ebony Rainford-Brent as our manager with her ACE team acting as coaches. One of them could even take Stewies job.
I think Ive got all the boxes ticked here!!

Ah the good old ACE programme. Where white people aren’t allowed.

Wonder what the reaction would be to a similar initiative for white footballers seeing as they’re so underrepresented in the Premier League?

My very same comment that had Surreys Twitter admin ban me from Surrey ccc twitter. Says quite a lot about what we are allowed to observe but not speak about!

Have you not noticed that most Premiership teams are packed with players from across the world? So a comparison with the UK population proportions is next to useless.

OK, so let’s look at England’s last game v Scotland:

Only 6 of the starting 11 were white.
Only 13 of the 24 man squad were white.

White players massively underrepresented compared to the general English population.

When can we start an ACE programme solely for white footballers?

Vauxhall

Back to top Go down

Post by Vauxhall Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:50 pm

I also noticed this from the Cricinfo report on ‘equal pay’:

Despite a significant uptick in interest in women's cricket this summer, with more than 110,000 ticket sales across a compelling drawn Ashes campaign, Gould said that the "definable income" into the women's game, in the region of £11 million, still fell some £20 million short of expenditure.”

So the men’s game is massively subsiding the women’s game as that still isn’t deemed as enough? Hilarious.

Vauxhall

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:36 am

Vauxhall wrote:

OK, so let’s look at England’s last game v Scotland:

Only 6 of the starting 11 were white.
Only 13 of the 24 man squad were white.

White players massively underrepresented compared to the general English population.

When can we start an ACE programme solely for white footballers?

Yes, that's a more sensible comparison. I suppose footballers still come predominantly from what might be termed working class backgrounds and the proportions of various ethnic groups will differ from that in the population at large - but not by enough to explain the figures on their own. There is a complete absence of Asian players, of course.

Given that the vast majority of people running football, from owners down to managers, are white, it's hard to see what any institutional barriers might be for white footballers coming through. The argument on cricket (and probably rugby too) is that there are such barriers for black and Asian players. You may not agree with that but that is the argument.

If you go back far enough there were such barriers in football. The Glory Game was an excellent book by Hunter Davies following Spurs for a season but it was evident from the book that Eddie Baily, the assistant manager, thought black players weren't mentally strong enough (he can't have seen Pele play). They wouldn't like it up 'em, so as to speak. Then there seemed to be periods when black players were pigeonholed as tricky wingers, then as clogger centre halves. Even after the message got through that they could play perfectly well in any position, any strong black midfielder was getting touted as the new Patrick Vieira (they never were, of course). And that's before you got onto the fans; at some grounds it could be truly horrible.

I can remember an end of season game in the mid '70s when a young black winger made his debut for Leicester at the Lane. This was before squad numbers came in. Someone next to me looked at him, looked at his programme, looked up again and said "Here, that's never Keith Weller!" I thought of that this evening when the Samuel L Jackson playing Jonathan Warburton advert came on...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:02 am

I thought this was a Cricket thread? What all this football stuff.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:32 am

Ask SWC. He brought it up. I just reacted.

Having said which, learning from other sports seems fairly relevant to me.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 am

adelaide wrote:Ask SWC. He brought it up. I just reacted.

Having said which, learning from other sports seems fairly relevant to me.

I didn't say you had.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2