Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Hants - rain for four days

+17
Jhe10077
RB
Wedmore Wanderer
Angus French
adelaide
guildfordbat
Peter.M.Gardens
KeninWestWickham
SimonH
gjones31
John Hamilton
Alex!
Admin
Coatesy
Steve
Sir Winston Churchill
Chinaman
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Surrey v Hants - rain for four days Empty Surrey v Hants - rain for four days

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:25 pm

This will be most annoying. Absolutely vital we wrap things up in Canterbury tomorrow.

I say we “rest” Foakes for Hants to use up his England commitments of time off, as there’s no chance of anything like a result.

Last edited by Sir Winston Churchill on Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Hants - rain for four days Empty Re: Surrey v Hants - rain for four days

Post by Chinaman Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:28 pm

Saturday and Sunday are ok.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Hants - rain for four days Empty Re: Surrey v Hants - rain for four days

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 pm

Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:13 pm

Ben Foakes.

VicNorth

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gjones31 Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:14 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:This will be most annoying. Absolutely vital we wrap things up in Canterbury tomorrow.

I say we “rest” Foakes for Hants to use up his England commitments of time off, as there’s no chance of anything like a result.

Might be wrong but think there will be less of a need to rest Foakes. We have a week off after Hampshire and I think it is going to be unlikely that he will play masses of T20 for us, which means a lighter load in June. Gus/Pope much more likely to be involved in the White Ball games for England at the end of May, Foakes won't be needed until July if selected for England.

gjones31

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Not according to BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6690601

Never look at the BBC forecast. ACCU is far more accurate and says for Sat-Mon just a passing shower or two.

Chinaman

Jackers, David W and Peter.M.Gardens like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 am

Chinaman wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Not according to BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6690601

Never look at the BBC forecast. ACCU is far more accurate and says for Sat-Mon just a passing shower or two.

Weather looks good now

Confident we can continue the trend of Hants opposition scoring 450+ in their first innings. (Lancs 484/ Worcs 455)

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am

I think "good" is pushing it. Bowling conditions I'd say.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 am

Jackers wrote:I think "good" is pushing it. Bowling conditions I'd say.

week on week lowering my expectations this season. Good means no thunder and lightning or torential rain.

Why is the BBC online weather site so different to others?

Doesn't match what they say on their weather forecast here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001ykny/weather-for-the-week-ahead-24042024

Friday looks OK, Saturday bad, Sun/Monday should be OK rain-wise, potentially 17 degrees Monday
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 pm

Better weather forecast now. Looks like at least two dry days and a couple of patchy ones. No dilly dallying, Burns.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:51 am

Sun is out now, with blue skies.Totally different to the forecast five days ago!
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm

I wonder if those nice people at the ECB will let us use Gus, John Paul and Ben in this game.

As they are the c word I bet we arent allowed to use one of them you watch!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 pm

Steve wrote:I wonder if those nice people at the ECB will let us use Gus, John Paul and Ben in this game.

As they are the c word I bet we arent allowed to use one of them you watch!

We've been told we (and the players) can decide which 5 of the first 7 matches they play. As Gus missed the last one and there is a rest week next week I'd bet my house that he will play. Ollie Pope almost certainly will (for the same reason, and because his face was featured on the club's facebook promo for the match yesterday!).  Not sure whether we'll rest Foakes, but if so, I do hope Blake comes in to allow Jamie Smith to focus on batting.  

Not sure who John and Paul are, though George and Ringo are standing by in case they are required!
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm

John Paul Jackers the Pope! Next time I will just call him Ollie or Pope!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm

The 5 out of 7 surely includes missing matches for England?

We've played 3 of which Atkinson has missed 2 and Pope 1, Foakes 0:

So Atkinson should be available for all 4 of:

Hampshire (h)
Warwickshire (h)
Worcestershire (h)
Hampshire (a) (which clashes with England T20 series v Pakistan)

So does Atkinson know he's not being selected for the England T20 World Cup squad already then?

Also its been mentioned the players playing in the IPL will not be selected for the Pakistan T20 series (so no Curran, Jacks or Topley appearing at the Oval then)

Considering no Jacks or Buttler we'll presumably field 2 openers who won't be going to World Cup? Jason Roy? would be ironic if he excelled and forced his way into the squad ahead of say Bairstow!
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:06 pm

So no Foakes even though the first test is 2 and a half months away. This resting of players when they should be playing is total bollocks.

Steve

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm

I am sorry that Lawes is unavailable due to a heel injury. I've seen him bowl better than at Canterbury many times, but he still took three first-innings wickets including the vital one of Bell-Drummond to break the third-wicket stand of 100. I'm slightly surprised that they rested Ben Foakes for this one (I'd have played him the first five consecutively) and very disappointed that they have burdened Jamie Smith with the gloves instead of giving Blake a go.

The team therefore picks itself: however out-of-nick/on the wane Kemar may be, McKerr is going to be carrying the hot bovrils on to the field.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

I agree I'd go with selecting Blake, I think we need to expand the squad options and see if he can fill in when Foakes is actually unavailable during the Test series later in the season.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm

Hopefully the dulcet tones of Mr Church will be back on the airwaves for this game.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:00 am

I have to say that I am slightly surprised that its only a 12 man squad, as not many options. I suppose as we are at home if someone was to pull up injured/sick this morning another player could come in at short notice.

seems obvious what the starting XI will be though

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 am

Here's my preview of the County Championship clash between @surreycricket and @hantscricket which starts today at the Oval http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevsurhamcc2024.htm

First-class stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @hantscricket http://www.ovalworld-online.com/fc_stats_surrey_hampshire.pdf

For Surrey's fixtures and scorecards go to: http://www.ovalworld-online.com/cards.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 am

It's quite bizarre that in the first three games we've selected 14 or 15 players, which seems quite unnecessary. 12 always used to be the norm, and seems fine (especially at home, where emergency replacements won't be far away).

I wonder if Foosis will prepare another deceptive-looking green-top? Not an easy decision at the toss: our normal inclination is to bowl first, but looking at the weather forecast I'd bat today with a view to bowling in the more unsettled conditions tomorrow.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:I agree I'd go with selecting Blake, I think we need to expand the squad options and see if he can fill in when Foakes is actually unavailable during the Test series later in the season.
It’s not a given that Foakes will play in the Tests,he was essential in Indian conditions,but I think they might return to picking Bairstow in English conditions.

dougieginn

guildfordbat and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am

Surrey won toss, put Hampshire into bat

Rory Burns(c)
Dom Sibley
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith(wk)
Dan Lawrence
Ryan Patel
Cameron Steel
Jordan Clark
Gus Atkinson
Dan Worrall
Kemar Roach
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am

dougieginn wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote:I agree I'd go with selecting Blake, I think we need to expand the squad options and see if he can fill in when Foakes is actually unavailable during the Test series later in the season.
It’s not a given that Foakes will play in the Tests,he was essential in Indian conditions,but I think they might return to picking Bairstow in English conditions.

Even if Foakes isn't selected we need to know at some point whether Blake can make the step up, and imo this is the ideal opportunity for him to come in at 6 rather than Patel. We have to give squad players opportunities when we can or are they just here to play Metro Bank stuff?
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Jackers, dougieginn and John Hamilton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next