Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

+18
Alex!
Badges
Wokoval
Keith Powell
gjones31
John Hamilton
Jackers
SimonH
dougieginn
VicNorth
The Nightwatchman
Sir Winston Churchill
Steve
VauxhallRey
Ali888
adelaide
Admin
RightArmSlow
22 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship Empty Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed May 08, 2024 1:09 pm

Friday 10th to Monday 13th May

3rd place plays 4th place, whoever wins this goes top of the League!

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship Div_on10

Foakes missed last match v Hampshire (rested by England) as did the injured Overton and Lawes
Question mark over whether Pope is rested or not as per central contract (both he and Foakes set to miss one more match in next 3)

Starting XI v Hampshire:
Rory Burns(c)
Dom Sibley
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith(wk)
Dan Lawrence
Ryan Patel
Cameron Steel
Jordan Clark
Gus Atkinson
Dan Worrall
Kemar Roach

https://www.kiaoval.com/match-centre/

Warwickshire have drawn all their 4 matches so far scoring 361, 455, 698 and 333 in their first innings so they can bat, but they haven't bowled out a side for under 350 so far. Alex Davies 481 runs, Rob Yates 386 runs and Will Rhodes 357 so far in 5 innings are up there at the top of the batting averages. Olly Hannon-Dalby their top wicket taker with 12, Yates with 11 and Rhodes with 6.

Other matches:

Hampshire v Durham
Kent v Worcestershire
Nottinghamshire v Lancashire
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship Empty Re: Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

Post by Jackers Wed May 08, 2024 2:37 pm

Quite astonishing that we have a situation where Warwickshire could go top of the league by winning their first game of the season.

We have to be positive: with Abbott now available along with Pope, Foakes and McKerr we have an embarrassment of riches to choose from. Essex will be kicking their heels and cursing at a very fine weather forecast, with just a slight question mark about Monday. Let's kick on and get 20+ points.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship Empty Re: Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed May 08, 2024 3:14 pm

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RightArmSlow Thu May 09, 2024 10:55 pm

From the squad announced I would expect Patel to not play and then one of Cam Steel or Atkinson to miss out. Be odd to not select and England player when available but for me Woarral, Roach, Abbott and Clark have to play.

Is Overton injured?

RightArmSlow

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 am

RightArmSlow wrote:From the squad announced I would expect Patel to not play and then one of Cam Steel or Atkinson to miss out. Be odd to not select and England player when available but for me Woarral, Roach, Abbott and Clark have to play.

Is Overton injured?

Hi RightArmSlow - I'm very much with you there. I'm sure that Patel is in the squad as batting back up but isn't expected to play. He was the only one of the team who played against Hants to feature in the seconds game this week which I feel supports that view.

The other one who'll miss out is extremely hard to call. I would be tempted to leave out Atkinson which wouldn't go down well with the ECB but that would be their problem. However, my guess is that we'll go with all 5 seamers on a typically green Oval track against a Warks side who have been piling on the runs this season. That means leaving out Steel and using Lawrence for any slow bowling wanted. That would be tough on Steel as our leading wicket taker but someone has to make way.

Overton has a back injury.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 am

Replace Patel for Foakes, and for returning Abbott "rest" Roach perhaps?

Would be a big call to drop Cam Steel, 15 of his 21 wickets have come at the Oval and so far Roach only has 6 wickets in 4 county championship matches.

I'd pick this 11 from the 13 match squad (Patel and Roach missing out)

Rory Burns(c)
Dom Sibley
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith
Dan Lawrence
Ben Foakes (WK)
Cameron Steel
Sean Abbott
Jordan Clark
Gus Atkinson
Dan Worrall

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Fri May 10, 2024 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am

Here's my preview of the County Championship clash between @surreycricket and @WarwickshireCCC which starts today at the Oval http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevsurwarcc2024.htm

First-class stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @WarwickshireCCC http://www.ovalworld-online.com/fc_stats_surrey_warwickshire.pdf

For Surrey's fixtures and scorecards go to: http://www.ovalworld-online.com/cards.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri May 10, 2024 10:41 am

Wonderful weather

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri May 10, 2024 10:50 am

Surrey won the toss and decided to field

Rory Burns(c)
Dom Sibley
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith
Ben Foakes(wk)
Dan Lawrence
Cameron Steel
Jordan Clark
Sean Abbott
Kemar Roach
Dan Worrall

(Atkinson and Patel miss out)

Saim Hain in Warwickshire XI
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri May 10, 2024 11:31 am

Jackers wrote:Quite astonishing that we have a situation where Warwickshire could go top of the league by winning their first game of the season.

Leicestershire were top of CC2 before the last round despite having drawn all of their matches. I presume that they had the good fortune to play on pitches which enabled both bowling and batting bonus points to be amassed. It's 8-for-a-draw, I'm afraid.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri May 10, 2024 11:41 am

Really don't think we've bowled badly. Just no luck whatsoever

Alex!

Ali888 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri May 10, 2024 11:55 am

How does Roach get in the side? A. Shadow of the bowler he was a couple of years ago. Should have picked Lawes or Atkinson. Roach going for 5/6 runs an over on a green pitch. Awful
selection!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm

They have to pick him because he's black. Sadiq Khan said so.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

dougieginn wrote:How does Roach get in the side? A. Shadow of the bowler he was  a couple of years ago. Should have picked Lawes or Atkinson. Roach going for 5/6 runs an over on a green pitch. Awful
selection!!!

He hasn’t bowled badly. Just a bit unlucky. We haven’t picked Lawes because he’s injured.

Ali888

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nightwatchman Fri May 10, 2024 12:40 pm

Ali888 wrote:
dougieginn wrote:How does Roach get in the side? A. Shadow of the bowler he was  a couple of years ago. Should have picked Lawes or Atkinson. Roach going for 5/6 runs an over on a green pitch. Awful
selection!!!

He hasn’t bowled badly.  Just a bit unlucky.  We haven’t picked Lawes because he’s injured.

And the ECB won't be happy we haven't picked Atkinson. Shame.
Watching on the TV, the bowling looks ok to me so far.
Hoping to be their Sunday.

The Nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri May 10, 2024 1:48 pm

[quote="Ali888"]
selection!!!

He hasn’t bowled badly.  Just a bit unlucky.  We haven’t picked Lawes because he’s injured.[/quote

Far too many four balls for me!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 pm

I've not watched anything back but the appealing today has been very exuberant - either the umpires are having a shocker or the players need their eyes sorting.

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nightwatchman Fri May 10, 2024 6:36 pm

Just about evens? Really if you put a side in, you want them out for under 270ish I think. Does not always pay to put the opposition in regardless. Need to polish it of quickly tomorrow.

The Nightwatchman

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri May 10, 2024 6:38 pm

Very disappointed with today’s bowling performance,only Clark and Abbott bowled well, Doesn’t look to have anything in the pitch,but what there was we didn’t use well,particularly Worrall ,our hero of the last match. Hope we bat better than we have bowled so far. With wall
to wall sunshine perhaps we should not have put them in.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Fri May 10, 2024 7:48 pm

This inability to dislodge the tail is starting to become concerning.....
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri May 10, 2024 7:54 pm

More rubbish about Gus being rested when he has hardly played! Why do cricket people treat supporters like crap by lying through their teeth. He wasnt picked because he isnt as good a red ball bowler than the 4 seamers used today.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri May 10, 2024 8:00 pm

Pretty much even at the end of Day 1. On Roach, I thought his first spell was very loose, but he bowled much better when switched to the Vauxhall End. Talking of which...

In the 54 years I have been coming to Surrey, I do not recall being prevented from walking freely around the concourse before. For the past 15 years or so, we have become accustomed on match days to seeing conferences taking place in the various rooms within the JM Finn/OCS Stand. We have accepted that they contribute revenue to the club which - until recently - we seemed to benefit from, in terms of reasonably-priced membership. A friend of mine who is now 78 (and a lifelong member) has sufferred two strokes and finds it a struggle to get to matches by public transport from Enfield now. He had an appointment this morning which meant that he arrived at the Vauxhall End just before lunch, hot and tired, to be told that he would have to walk anti-clockwise around the entire ground in order to join me and another friend in block 14. This was an absolutely brutal way to treat him.

I walked round to the Pavillion reception at lunchtime and asked to see the Head of Supporter Services, who sheepishly admitted that the restrictions were due to a conference booking. He admitted this it was not at all satisfactory on a match day, and claimed that it was probably an "oversight" that this level of exclusivity had been agreed on a matchday with whichever company had made the booking several months ago. He promised to pass the feedback up the line. I intend to follow up with an email to the General Committee - it would of course help if I am not the only one to do so.

Last edited by Jackers on Fri May 10, 2024 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

SimonH, Erniep7070, Pink Panther, MatthewC and The Nightwatchman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Fri May 10, 2024 8:06 pm

Are you suggesting that hosting the "National Cargo Bike Summit" is not a worthwhile sacrifice of the southern forecourt?

https://www.cargobikesummit.uk/exhibition-floorplan-2024

Lights blue touch paper and stands WELL back.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri May 10, 2024 8:09 pm

Not on a match day. God knows they have enough non-matchdays during the modern cricket season when they could do it.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Fri May 10, 2024 8:40 pm

Anyone know why its a good idea to have our one and only slip fielding at one and half slip?!! Bonkers, and cost us a vital easy catch.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next