Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

+18
Alex!
Badges
Wokoval
Keith Powell
gjones31
John Hamilton
Jackers
DRJardine
dougieginn
VicNorth
The Nightwatchman
Sir Winston Churchill
Steve
VauxhallRey
Ali888
adelaide
Admin
RightArmSlow
22 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

Post by Jackers Sun May 12, 2024 7:36 pm

There is life in the old dog yet!

Kemar was outstanding today, finding prodigious reverse swing that in the four years I have been watching him I had not realised was in his armoury.

While it is down to him that we are going to win with the best part of a whole day to spare, the fact we were in such a strong position was due to the stand between Jamie Smith and Sean Abbott (a record for the 9th wicket against Warwickshire, beating the one previously held by some bloke called Douglas Jardine and the legendary Ted Brooks.)

We should put clear daylight between ourselves and Essex, who are the only team who look remotely likely to challenge us. Catch us if you can!

Last edited by Jackers on Sun May 12, 2024 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey v Warwickshire - County Championship

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote: ...

I think Alec Stewart said we rested Gus Atkinson with eyes on next weeks Worcs match, but why do the 30+ year old bowlers never get rested?

Seems odd to include Atkinson in the squad if it was planned to rest him.

I think Stewart was talking about making sure all our players were playing at their optimum levels and the likes of Worrall and Roach will get a rest when the T20 starts, now we have brought in Spencer Johnson. Atkinson isn't likely to get much rest between now and September so it was Surrey who rested him this match not England (when it was a straight selection choice between Roach and Atkinson)

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Jackers and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 pm

Any news on Essex getting deducted points the cheating rotters!!! Really wanted to say another word but my language on here can be poor which I am trying to improve!!!!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun May 12, 2024 8:33 pm

Steve wrote:Any news on Essex getting deducted points the cheating rotters!!!  Really wanted to say another word but my language on here can be poor which I am trying to improve!!!!

Steve - until I saw your final sentence explaining the first, I thought you had been hacked! Wink

Haven't heard anything further about the deduction. Sure it will happen but would guess lawyers from the People's Republic of Chelmsford are negotiating with the ECB behind closed doors to keep it down.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun May 12, 2024 9:19 pm

Alex! wrote:
dougieginn wrote:How does Roach get in the side? A. Shadow of the bowler he was  a couple of years ago. Should have picked Lawes or Atkinson. Roach going for 5/6 runs an over on a green pitch. Awful
selection!!!

Is there a hat you would like to eat

I'd go for a pork pie hat if I were you.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Steve wrote:Any news on Essex getting deducted points the cheating rotters!!!  Really wanted to say another word but my language on here can be poor which I am trying to improve!!!!

Steve - until I saw your final sentence explaining the first, I thought you had been hacked! Wink

Haven't heard anything further about the deduction. Sure it will happen but would guess lawyers from the People's Republic of Chelmsford are  negotiating with the ECB behind closed doors to keep it down.

Durham were fined 10 points (all the points they achived in a draw with Derbyshire in 2022)

Essex beat Notts and got 20 points so fine should be all those points too.

---

With our bonus points gained so far we are already top, if we win we'll be 21 points ahead of Essex.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 am

Not at the ground but listening to commentary. Are Warks still behind on the over rate? Only ask as I wonder if that's why Yates has opened the bowling today. Won't make any difference to the outcome but otherwise slightly surprised. Thanks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon May 13, 2024 11:06 am

-1. But they won't be for long.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 am

guildfordbat wrote:Not at the ground but listening to commentary. Are Warks still behind on the over rate? Only ask as I wonder if that's why Yates has opened the bowling today. Won't make any difference to the outcome but otherwise slightly surprised. Thanks.

VauxhallRey wrote:-1. But they won't be for long.

On commetary said they'd bowled 14 overs in 38 minutes and well ahead now.

--

Won by 9 wickets - full 24 points on offer achieved - top of the table
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am

Some of these commentators are getting worse. Rattling on about some place one of them went to on holiday. Completely pointless. If they can’t think of cricket things to talk about they shouldn’t be on the radio.
In better news what a very professional win by us. Well done.

Last edited by Sir Winston Churchill on Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

guildfordbat, Keith Powell and Erniep7070 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 11:46 am

Looking at Lancs v Notts. Lyon not playing and Hartley has his first wicket of the season.

Lancashire (131-6) trail Nottinghamshire by 41 runs with 4 wickets remaining
Hartley 41 off 69 balls* - is that Bazzball enough for England? similar strike rate to Foakes 59 off 96 balls.

*Hartley now 47 off 93 balls

Last edited by Peter.M.Gardens on Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 11:47 am

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Some of these commentators are getting worse. Rattling in about some place one of them went to on holiday. Completely pointless. If they can’t think of cricket things to talk about they shouldn’t be on the radio.
In better news what a very professional win by us. Well done.

Yesterday it was trying to guess what flavour the cheesecake was they had in commentary box, obviuosly trying to be TMS. Ended up being Rhubarb and ginger I think.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon May 13, 2024 12:01 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Not at the ground but listening to commentary. Are Warks still behind on the over rate? Only ask as I wonder if that's why Yates has opened the bowling today. Won't make any difference to the outcome but otherwise slightly surprised. Thanks.
There is a fine of one point for every over bowled short of the minimum allowed,Warks were behind by one over so they opened with the slow bowlers to get a few swift overs to get up to the required number over the course of the two innings.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

dougieginn wrote:
There is a fine of one point for every over bowled short of the minimum allowed,Warks were  behind by one over so they opened with the slow bowlers to get a few swift overs to get up to the required number over the course of the two innings.

Thanks, Dougie and others. I suspected as much but appreciate the confirmation.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 1:16 pm

Division One - Scores at Lunch:

Hampshire 503 & 34-2 v Durham 432
Hampshire (5 pts) lead Durham (3 pts) by 105 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Kent 407 & 18-1 v Worcestershire 618-7 dec
Kent (2 pts) trail Worcestershire (5 pts) by 193 runs with 9 wickets remaining

Nottinghamshire 503 v Lancashire 331 & 198-8
Lancashire (4 pts) lead Nottinghamshire (6 pts) by 26 runs with 2 wickets remaining

Surrey 464 & 89-1 v Warwickshire 343 & 209
Surrey (24 pts) beat Warwickshire (4 pts) by nine wickets

Hopefully all 3 end in draws
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon May 13, 2024 2:00 pm

Can you see anyone other than Essex being a threat?
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 13, 2024 2:49 pm

VauxhallRey wrote:Can you see anyone other than Essex being a threat?

Given their immense resolve to hold us to a draw and ability to beat Essex, I don't think we should totally write off Somerset at this stage. They are unlikely to suffer too much with call ups (mainly Bashir or Leach I guess but not both) and have a decent skipper in Gregory. They currently sit third in the table and should move up one place when Essex have points deducted for the oversize bat breach.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon May 13, 2024 3:04 pm

Famous last words for which you can castigate me when they win but:
1) Their batting is very fragile and they still love a collapse.
2) They choke whenever the pennant comes within their grasp.

Maybe their Blast success will have made a difference. But they have won one game, at home, on a minefield having won the toss, by three wickets.

Last edited by VauxhallRey on Mon May 13, 2024 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 3:08 pm

After going off for bad light with 2 spinners bowling Hampshire match now delayed by rain.

Rain Delay - Hampshire lead Durham by 133 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Looks like a certain draw as they take an early tea. - MATCH DRAWN

---

Notts beat Lancs by 9 wickets - Lancashire 3 defeats in a row - certainly not our main title challenger as predicted!

---

at Tea - Kent (104-3 needing 107 runs to make Worcs bat again) probably need to pray for rain themseleves.
Bell-Drummond 36no and Finch 21 no, after Crawley failed yet again.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

DRJardine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon May 13, 2024 4:09 pm

VauxhallRey wrote:Famous last words for which you can castigate me when they win but:
1) Their batting is very fragile and they still love a collapse.
2) They choke whenever the pennant comes within their grasp.

Maybe their Blast success will have made a difference. But they have won one game, at home, on a minefield having won the toss, by three wickets.

So rather than asking your original question, you could have just said no one other than Essex has a cat in hell's chance of catching us! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon May 13, 2024 4:23 pm

2 of our remaining 9 fixtures are against Essex, so if they win then they might be close, but I'd hope we'd be steeets ahead by the time we visit Chelmsford. Last 2 years we've built up such a lead we've almost limped home at end
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

DRJardine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Nightwatchman Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm

The easiest thing to do in cricket is to underestimate the opposition, which is just what many are doing on here. We are not halfway through the season yet, will be losing key players and no doubt pick up an injury or two as well along the way. Yes we are  favourites but it's not June yet and we play Essex away last game. And there's always iffy weather...🤔

The Nightwatchman

DRJardine, guildfordbat, Keith Powell and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am not underestimating Essex. They are an excellent side and have the best spinner in the comp and spin is our weakness.

The rest are all a cut below.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 pm

Looking good at the moment but a long way to go. The stop start nature of the Championship this season makes forecasting difficult. Lancashire languishing at the bottom may be a surprise to many people but again early days.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon May 13, 2024 5:05 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:Division One - Scores at Lunch:

Hampshire 503 & 34-2 v Durham 432
Hampshire (5 pts) lead Durham (3 pts) by 105 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Kent 407 & 18-1 v Worcestershire 618-7 dec
Kent (2 pts) trail Worcestershire (5 pts) by 193 runs with 9 wickets remaining

Nottinghamshire 503 v Lancashire 331 & 198-8
Lancashire (4 pts) lead Nottinghamshire (6 pts) by 26 runs with 2 wickets remaining

Surrey 464 & 89-1 v Warwickshire 343 & 209
Surrey (24 pts) beat Warwickshire (4 pts) by nine wickets

Hopefully all 3 end in draws

Why do you keep posting all these facts and figures? I'm sure we all have the internet/TV/YouTube etc etc etc.............................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scores-fixtures

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next