Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yorkshire CCC - what a disgrace

+12
offdrive4
Alex!
Cee Gee
Chinaman
Missing Leg
RB
Walter
kjb
adelaide
plgwbl09
Coatesy
Howzat
16 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Yorkshire CCC - what a disgrace - Page 4 Empty Re: Yorkshire CCC - what a disgrace

Post by Badges Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Very sad to read the previous post.16 people have lost their jobs.Presumably "Walter" has never put a foot wrong in his life let alone said the wrong thing.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Yorkshire CCC - what a disgrace - Page 4 Empty Re: Yorkshire CCC - what a disgrace

Post by Walter Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Badges wrote:Very sad to read the previous post.16 people have lost their jobs.Presumably "Walter" has never put a foot wrong in his life let alone said the wrong thing.

In my job, for which I am required to follow specific regulations and legal guidelines? You're quite right, I haven't.

In any paid position, an employee is at risk of getting fired if they fail do what is contractually expected of them, and even more likely if they bring their employer into public disrepute. That is what has happened at Yorkshire.

Still, I'm sure they'll all appreciate your pity as they count their very handsome pay-offs. I mean, honestly, what's the world coming to if you can't simply ignore a Parliamentary Commission, eh?

BTW, Badges, as someone calling (on repeat) on the IPL thread for certain Surrey employees to be dismissed for the completely outrageous crime of seeking to earn money overseas, your heartfelt sympathy for the Yorkshire bunch seems more than a little hypocritically selective.

Walter

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Just a few very brief comments from one who wasn't:

Ever heard of forgiveness? Most of this stuff happened over 10 years ago.
Really now I've heard someone say they have never put a foot wrong. Wow, must have had an exciting youth.
I trust Rafiq will be disciplined for anti-semitism and texting young girls? Can't have it both ways mate.
And Moxon is taking legal advice on unfair dismissal.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:58 pm

Chinaman, whether or not I have ever put  a foot wrong in my life outside of work is irrelevant. I'm not paid by anyone to live my private life. The Yorkshire bunch were sacked for what they did (or failed to uphold) whilst working under a contract for Yorkshire,  and obviously  not for any misdemeanors in their private life over which  Yorkshire has no control. A shame that you feel the need to sink to silly little personal jibes,  it doesn't do your argument any favours, but no matter.

If Moxon believes he has a valid case, then fine. He's perfectly entitled to take the matter through a solicitor if he sees fit, as indeed they all are, and no doubt we'll see what transpires with that eventually. Certainly the legal industry will be rubbing its hands in anticipation of a long, drawn out, high profile and financially lucrative case.

But, purely as a business, what other serious course of action could Yorkshire have taken? The club has been ritually humiliated and have lost public trust because of the actions (or lack of action) of people who were employed by them. Would a simple "Well never mind, we forgive you" serve to make everything suddenly sweetness and light again, or instantly resolve the issue from ever continuing? I don't believe it would.

Walter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm

Silly jibes? No not at all. It's typical of many in today's society to take things out of context when it suits.
And yet again I say there is no winners in this.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:19 pm

So, "Wow, must have had an exciting youth" was actually something far more nuanced than a mere snarky remark? I see. Too clever for me, apparently.

You are absolutely correct that there are no winners, but, of course, neither is the situation a competition to be "won". It is not about a few off-hand, flippant remarks made without malice, and persisting in trying to paint it as such is reductive.

Walter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:30 pm

"Let him without guilt cast the first stone"

End of discussion (yes really this time).

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:16 pm

"A platitude in the hand is worth two rolling stones gathering no moss in a glass house" is another good one.
If you no longer wish to comment on the subject, then don't.

Walter

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:03 pm

To pick up on one of Chinaman's points, Rafiq can't be disciplined for anti-semitic remarks because he is not an employee of YCCC or any other cricket organisation. Employees can be disciplined. Interestingly, so far no player (even Ballance) appears to have been subject to any sort of disciplinary action, just the coaching staff and so on who really should have stamped on the behaviour years ago.

And, in a sense, there's the rub. Is the entire coaching staff responsible for the mess that has built up? If you are a junior coach and your bosses show no interest in addressing the issue (or even exacerbate it) how much blame do you deserve for keeping quiet (though you know you really shouldn't)? Sacking the top men, who probably set the tone, seems eminently justifiable, however pleasant they may be face-to-face. Sacking the lot seems harder to justify and it would be ironic if YCCC had fallen foul of good HR practice on this, having fallen foul of just about everything before Lord Patel took over.

It is possible that all of them signed the letter which apparently complained about YCCC not simply telling Rafiq to get lost when he made his accusations. The attitude seems to have been that his accusations could and should be ignored because he was a difficult, perhaps not particularly pleasant, individual. That seems tone deaf, myopic and pig-headed, ironically in a kind of "cartoon Yorkshireman" fashion. If YCCC had handled things better, both when the accusations were made and when some of the racist behaviour was actually happening, they would have got through it with much less damage and in particular without having to make mass sackings in order simply to survive. If the 16 contributed to the state of mind that resulted in broom and carpet being deployed instead, then maybe their dismissal is merited. But I still find myself saying "what - all 16?".

I agree that there are no winners right now but the real winners will be future players not having to put up with racist "banter".

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Woke stopped play

All cricket matches, including the current Ashes Series, will be played under new laws:

Played with a tennis ball to comply with Health and Safety Regulations.

Everyone must take a Covid test at the end of each over.

Nobody will ever be given 'out' because that would be discriminatory.

Silly mid-on and silly mid-off, to be renamed mental health issues forward short leg.

No fine legs, because these have been deemed both sexist and judgemental.

Deep third man becomes deep third person.

Naturally there will be no more maidens.

Tea will not be taken out of solidarity with plantation workers in Assam and elsewhere.

If any team should beat Pakistan, the result will be set aside because the victory will be classed as Islamophobic.

England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand will not be eligible to play unless they field eleven black players.

Taking guard replaced by taking the knee.

Wooden bats will no longer be used because they are offensive to willow-huggers.

Googlies, bosies and boseys and other such homophobic terms to be forbidden.

Ditto bottom hand.

Ditto (for a poor batsperson) bunny.

The overtly sexual flash – as in flashes outside the off stump - banned.

Tail, cherry and cut disallowed as misogynistic.

Ditto pair and king pair.

Chinese cut banned as racist, together with Chinaman.

No more ducks out of respect for vegans.

Nor farming the strike because farming is the biggest cause of global warming.

I think at this stage we should declare Close of Play.

Badges

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Some of the best lines you have ever posted there, Badges.

The ones between the text, that is.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:16 pm

I enjoyed his blank spaces the most too. He's at his most lucid and amusing in them.

Walter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:28 pm

And the trouble is that many people take everything literally don't they. It's a wonder comedians have anything in their repertoire that is not considered woke, pc or offensive to someone. Perhaps that's why there is no decent comedy on TV anymore.
Maybe it's time for the silent majority to wake up out of this sanitized environment some seem intent on creating for "our benefit".

Back to the cricket, Ashes tomorrow. There's a thread. What do we think of the team selection?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Chinaman wrote:And the trouble is that many people take everything literally don't they. It's a wonder comedians have anything in their repertoire that is not considered woke, pc or offensive to someone. Perhaps that's why there is no decent comedy on TV anymore.
Maybe it's time for the silent majority to wake up out of this sanitized environment some seem intent on creating for "our benefit".

Back to the cricket, Ashes tomorrow. There's a thread. What do we think of the team selection?

If you are referring to Badges' spaced out post, I cannot imagine anyone taking anything from his long list seriously (nor were they intended to, I imagine). I do find this calling people woke (or gammon for that matter) trivialises the issue, an insult taking the place of any actual discussion.

Going back to YCCC, part of the problem seems to be that it does seem to be trivial banter to some of those using it but it is anything but trivial to those on the receiving end.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:59 pm

No further comment.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Chinaman wrote:And the trouble is that many people take everything literally don't they. It's a wonder comedians have anything in their repertoire that is not considered woke, pc or offensive to someone. Perhaps that's why there is no decent comedy on TV anymore.

Just a bit of fun! My friend The Major emailed it to me.The Major,a Glamorgan man,is a regular at The Oval and other local (to me) Cricket grounds.He fought wars to protect our freedom.Looking forward to staying up for the first session tonight!

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 pm

adelaide wrote:

If the 16 contributed to the state of mind that resulted in broom and carpet being deployed instead, then maybe their dismissal is merited. But I still find myself saying "what - all 16?".

Whilst the dismissal of some Yorks employees seemed very warranted and overdue, I was also surprised that sixteen were given the push in one go last week.

If I was a cynic, I might wonder if so many being shown the door was more to do with getting sponsors and Test matches back to Headingley than anything else.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:31 am

As a bit of relief on the Yorkshire front, the White Rose Forum has a very enjoyable "Historical discussion and photos" thread, currently up to page 472! It's not just about Yorkshire. Naturally there are threads relating to Rafiq, sackings, the way forwards etc etc, with a wide range of views, but the historical thread is much more enjoyable and probably offers some much needed escapism to many of their supporters.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum