Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

+20
Benmug
Jedrich
Barneyb64
blueboy26
Coatesy
RB
Admin
RightArmSlow
Cee Gee
Pink Panther
Badges
guildfordbat
Alex!
dougieginn
adelaide
Keith Powell
Chinaman
Jackers
offdrive4
Steve
24 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval - Page 7 Empty Re: Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

Post by Alex! Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:04 pm

Bit annoying to be 2 down, but ultimately in a good position...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval - Page 7 Empty Re: Surrey v Essex 19-22 July the Oval

Post by Keith Powell Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:06 pm

Have done 3 days
Watch on the streem tomorrow 🤔

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:00 am

Keith Powell wrote:Have done 3 days

Part-timer

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:08 am

kjb wrote:
Keith Powell wrote:Have done 3 days

Part-timer
🤔😩🙆‍�🤣

Keith Powell

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:36 am

Getting throughly sick of the number of stoppages relating to complaints about the ball. It's becoming an epidemic, and a standard tactic for bowlers and fielding captains when they are getting no joy and want to break the rhythm of the batting team.

I would favour introducing a DRS-style limit of one appeal per ball (80 overs). If the umpires agree to change the ball, you retain your ball review. If the umpires deem the appeal unjustified, then that's your lot. That would stop the nonsense and still allow for changes when the ball is genuinely out of shape.

Last edited by Jackers on Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat, Badges, Chinaman and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray AFCW Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:40 am

Losing the will to live listening to Jeremy Coney…

Ray AFCW

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:47 am

There's a clear and obvious issue with the ball quality this year, neither side here are the only ones and I don't think any county has been remotely happy about having to do it.

As for the game, this is a great learning experience for Lawes when it comes to chasing a smaller target whilst down the order; launching Harmer for 6 there after sticking around is great...

Alex!

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:59 am

Lawes is turning into a good all rounder. We must
play a spinner against Warwickshire next week instead
of Steel. Overton can bat 7 and Lawes 8.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:21 pm

We don't need a spinner. Geddes instead of Steel.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:25 pm

Brilliant win against what are a very good team. If we'd been chasing 200+ that might have been tricky with Harmer on that pitch. Innings from Jacks turned the game on it's head where we right in the mud. Overall though, a real team effort.

Don't think we'll see a spinner next week, which still saddens me greatly

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by KeninWestWickham Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:26 pm

Brilliant win. Great team effort, but have to pick out Will and Dan Worrall.

KeninWestWickham

Badges and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:27 pm

1 down, 4 to go

and hopefully Gloucs can continue to frustrate Hants

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Excellent stuff. Lawes dare I say is actually beginning to look like an all rounder despite his 19 years.
Now we need Gloucester to draw with Hampshire to widen the gap a bit more at the top.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Excellent performance throughout. When you lose the toss and find yourself in the field on a day such as Tuesday you have to work hard for a win.

I agree that Lawes looks more than competent with a bat in his hand and if Jacks is going to continue at 7 then  any four of Clark (when fit), Overton, Lawes, Roach and Worrall is as strong an 8-11 as we had in the Hollioake era. (And stronger than when Giddins, rather than Salisbury, was 11.)

Last edited by Jackers on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:56 pm

Credit must go to whoever has identified Lawes as someone who is ready to step up to the first team because his most recent performances for the 2s don’t exactly scream ‘pick me’. He looks like a cricketer who is wise above his 19 years.

Cee Gee

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:07 pm

That was an excellent win given that we lost the toss on the hottest day of the year. Good effort all round but Will Jacks incredible innings effectively won us the game. It's very early days with Tom Lawes but I do like what I've seen of him. Now we could do with Gloucestershire batting well into the final session which doesn't seem very likely ...

Jedrich

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:35 pm

Chance of rain in the Cheltenham area this afternoon is quite high looking at the forecast

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:48 pm

Wouldn’t have like to chase 250 runs the way it was helping the spinners today. But we certainly had the worst bowling conditions on Tuesday. Agree with others that Lawes looks an excellent prospect,seems to have a calm head on his shoulders.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Chinaman wrote:We don't need a spinner. Geddes instead of Steel.
You could equally argue we don't need an extra batsman instead of Steel. Moriarty took a string of five-fers in his early games and eventually we'll end up bowling on a Bunsen somewhere or other. Let's not forget Virdi was selected for all 14 matches last time Surrey were champions.

I'm assuming Pope, Foakes and Overton will all be available next week. You never know with the Exterminate the Counties Board.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Coatesy wrote:Chance of rain in the Cheltenham area this afternoon is quite high looking at the forecast
it looks like Gloucestershire aren't even going to make it last until the rain arrives ...

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Pink Panther wrote:
Chinaman wrote:We don't need a spinner. Geddes instead of Steel.
You could equally argue we don't need an extra batsman instead of Steel. Moriarty took a string of five-fers in his early games and eventually we'll end up bowling on a Bunsen somewhere or other. Let's not forget Virdi was selected for all 14 matches last time Surrey were champions.

I'm assuming Pope, Foakes and Overton will all be available next week. You never know with the Exterminate the Counties Board.

If we were a Sunday village team, I would reckon that Steel's place is down to his mum making a splendid cricket tea each week.

guildfordbat

Keith Powell, Chinaman and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:21 pm

And I could equally argue that an extra batsman is more useful because with potentially 16 points for a draw it increases your chances of max draw points. You only get 8 more for a win. Ridiculous of course but that's the ECB  Tinkerer for you.
The only pitch likely to turn in the last 4 is possibley Northants but I still doubt Moriaty or Virdi will play because, and oh dear it's getting tiresome this, Jacks is the one they are going with. Unless England grab him now which wouldn't surprise me. But as Steve Waugh once said " if you haven't got a good spinner don't play one, go with your best 11" . Ok he had Warne of course, but it seems Surrey are following what he said. Point being we don't need one, and no one has put a plausible case for their inclusion in my view. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Hurry though it's almost August!

Chinaman

Keith Powell and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:54 pm

This 4 seamers and a part-time spinner is something that has worked for others in the past so it might just be worth persisting with for now - not that I like it. But Geddes or Smith have to play instead of Steel if they’re going to do that.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:01 pm

Chinaman wrote:And I could equally argue that an extra batsman is more useful because with potentially 16 points for a draw it increases your chances of max draw points. You only get 8 more for a win. Ridiculous of course but that's the ECB  Tinkerer for you.
The only pitch likely to turn in the last 4 is possibley Northants but I still doubt Moriaty or Virdi will play because, and oh dear it's getting tiresome this, Jacks is the one they are going with. Unless England grab him now which wouldn't surprise me. But as Steve Waugh once said " if you haven't got a good spinner don't play one, go with your best 11" . Ok he had Warne of course, but it seems Surrey are following what he said. Point being we don't need one, and no one has put a plausible case for their inclusion in my view.  But I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Hurry though it's almost August!

It’s getting tiresome because you continually miss the point.

Batty has decided that Jacks is the lead spinner and has even compared him to Moeen. We are playing a spinner - its wrong to say we aren’t.

The majority of the comments about the topic on here say we could easily do without one of the 5 seamers and play one of Virdi or Moriarty, particularly as we have Patel to bowl as well.

Old Trafford will probably spin for our last game and we’ll either play 9 seamers or put Moriarty in for his first game in a title decider.

Cee Gee

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:20 pm

I think it's entirely fair to refer to Jacks as a "part-time spinner" until there is more evidence to the contrary than his 15 wickets at nearly 50 each. That isn't to say he won't yet develop into a more substantial option but for me the issue isn't whether we are playing a 'front-line' spinner in the team but whether we should be.

I happen to think so, but I'm very happy to concede that the management team are entitled to point to the results we've achieved to date as justification for their selections. Just as Alf Ramsey's "wingless wonders" won the 1966 World Cup, so Gareth Batty's "spinless wonders" are well on course to win us the championship.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next