Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oval Sunday

+11
Jedrich
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
adelaide
Badges
Alex!
RB
Admin
VicNorth
Jackers
Chinaman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oval Sunday Empty Oval Sunday

Post by Chinaman Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:03 pm

Unchanged squad announced.
Sibley in for Warwickshire plus Hanan Dalby and Norwell.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Oval Sunday Empty Re: Oval Sunday

Post by Jackers Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:41 pm

I am subject to a three-line whip to attend a family birthday barbecue.

If you are going, please, please attend the members' event during the innings break, and (if no-one else is doing so) ask Steve Elworthy whether the club will vigorously oppose any proposal to reduce the championship programme that may emerge from the "high performance review". If the response is "let's wait and see what it says"....we need to make the point that there will be little time to do anything about it once it has been published, and (referring to the Lancs Action Group's initiative) suggest that they use this time to consult the members about what the club's response should be.

Hopefully the news on Thompson should embolden the club to make a clear, unequivocal representation to the ECB confident that it will be taken seriously.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:22 pm

I know it will never happen, but I would love this competition to be played with a red ball and in whites.

VicNorth

Badges, Keith Powell and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:30 am

Here's my preview of today's Royal London clash between @surreycricket and @WarwickshireCCC at the Kia Oval http://www.ovalworld-online.com/prevsurwarrlc2022.htm

List A stats sheet for @surreycricket vs @WarwickshireCCC http://www.ovalworld-online.com/ListA_Stats_Surrey_Warwickshire_w_milestones.pdf

For Surrey's fixtures and scorecards go to: http://www.ovalworld-online.com/cards.htm
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:42 am

I managed to speak to someone on Friday re today’s members’ forum. They haven’t got back to me with a room yet…

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:49 am

I didn't even know there was a forum...

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:52 am

I gather it's in the John Major Room in the JM Finn Stand, between innings.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:31 pm

Woke up,turned the alarm off and went back to sleep.Decided i don't want to watch Surrey seconds/reserves and schoolboys after paying for a membership to watch Surrey CCC thankyou very much.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Have to say that Virdi’s been excellent with the ball after that awful bit of fielding early on

Alex!

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm

Jackers wrote:I gather it's in the John Major Room in the JM Finn Stand, between innings.

That's a good way of guillotining any awkward discussions. One good filibustering answer and all of a sudden there's no time to complain about the lager.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:45 pm

The forum was interesting. Stewie had a big argument with a member about Burns’s “recharging”!

RB

dougieginn, guildfordbat and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:58 pm

RB wrote:The forum was interesting. Stewie had a big argument with a member about Burns’s “recharging”!

RB and others at today's forum - any further feedback gratefully received. Thanks.

guildfordbat

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Well, looks like I missed an exciting finish. In the context of the game Surrey's tail did well. Kimber isn't much of a bowler but looks like he can swing a bat. Dunn batted well in support.

At the risk of being a "Debbie Downer",  the quality of cricket I saw on the stream in the first and last hours was not great. Warwickshire themselves were depleted - and it showed. Yes, it was a tie - but you could see a tie in a local village cricket game. I would still rather see quality on show. As Marcus said in his match preview (posted above): "no other county is providing more England-qualified players to this year's 100-ball jamboree than Surrey and Warwickshire, who, between them, will be missing a total of 24 during the Royal London (or 22 per cent of all those drafted for The Hundred)".

Onwards and upwards: roll on September.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:31 pm

Unbelievable game of cricket,

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:53 pm

Incredible. I didn't know whether to be delighted or disappointed at the end. I'd given up when Amar Virdi was walking out to bat and we still needed over 100 at 10 an over. But credit to Kimber and then Dunn for nearly pulling it off.

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:25 pm

Yesterday i saw Sutton draw with Malden Wanderers,both teams scoring 192.In the Malden W team was one Dan Euston.Does anyone know/remember the Surrey CCC connection with him?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:32 pm

RB wrote:The forum was interesting. Stewie had a big argument with a member about Burns’s “recharging”!
What was said exactly ? If I'm correct Burns last played for England in Australia in January. Then his next game was for Surrey in April. He has since played 11 championship matches and a handful of T20s. Does this really need him needing a "recharge" ?? I guess it'll be worth it if he comes back and scores a few hundreds in September to help clinch the championship ...

Last edited by Jedrich on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jedrich

John Hamilton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:39 pm

Stewart and co have always got a clever answer.Meanwhile Surrey CCC continues to take the piss out of it's members,many who donated their money in 2020 for fuck all.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:18 pm

I went home at 31-3. Not the first time I've made a mistake like this!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:47 pm

Well I can remember probably 4 classic one day games over all the years I've been watching Surrey, and this makes 5. Fantastic and something you'll never ever get in T20 or the 100 rubbish.
Warwickshire were anything but depleted with 7 and I repeat 7 first choice players available (why isn't Hannah-Danny and Burgess in the 100?). In contrast we had 1, possibly in Patel. None of the others would have even played. Reifer and Kimber were superb. Anyone who missed this missed a real classic. Never go home before the finish of anything. Outstanding.

Chinaman

Keith Powell, Pink Panther, Jedrich, KeninWestWickham and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 pm

Yes, I have learned a lesson.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:06 am

With hindsight and after a good night''s sleep I was a little churlish about yesterday's match. It must have been enjoyable to have been there, and it was a good fightback by the middle and late order batsmen. At the end of the day, it's a Surrey team and we appreciate what we have to watch in this barren cricketing month.

I am just fearful that this will be seized on by the usual suspects as evidence that the competition can be allowed to continue as a second-rate "odds-and-sods' thing,' and it really shouldn't. We need and deserve the best players back playing it.

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Jason and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:22 am

VicNorth wrote:Yes, I have learned a lesson.

Vic I was not  having a pop at you, but I go to most Surrey games and the amount of time fans leave on day 4 never ceases to amaze me. I know work probably intervenes at times, but when you spend a lot of money particularly on an away trip, accommodation, travel etc, pay a bit more and stay because you never know in cricket. Recent examples of great last days include Taunton and Scarborough.

Last edited by Chinaman on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:27 am

Did not go to the members forum but with the members located in the Pavillion end and the meeting held on the opposite end of the ground in the JM Finn stand, with only a 30 minute break between innnings, it's almost like the club really did not want people to be there.....

Alec Stewarts plan for the RLC is logical, in that Surrey are not going to win the competion with what has been left over, so no point buying in expensive overseas signings, but instead using the RLC as a sort of trial to see which fringe players can remain contracted next year and who needs to move on, as Surrey contest against sides featuring, in some cases, 7-8 first XI players.

So the Surrey players do have motivation to do well in the RLC and at the point of typing this are doing OK>

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by optimistnot Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am

Jedrich wrote:
What was said exactly ? If I'm correct Burns last played for England in Australia in January. Then his next game was for Surrey in April. He has since played 11 championship matches and a handful of T20s. Does this really need him needing a "recharge" ?? I guess it'll be worth it if he comes back and scores a few hundreds in September to help clinch the championship ...

if he was not recharging then he would be in the Hundred, some of you need to get off his back.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next