Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oval Sunday

+11
Jedrich
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
adelaide
Badges
Alex!
RB
Admin
VicNorth
Jackers
Chinaman
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oval Sunday - Page 2 Empty Re: Oval Sunday

Post by optimistnot Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 am

Jackers wrote:Well, looks like I missed an exciting finish. In the context of the game Surrey's tail did well. Kimber isn't much of a bowler but looks like he can swing a bat. Dunn batted well in support.

At the risk of being a "Debbie Downer",  the quality of cricket I saw on the stream in the first and last hours was not great. Warwickshire themselves were depleted - and it showed. Yes, it was a tie - but you could see a tie in a local village cricket game. I would still rather see quality on show. As Marcus said in his match preview (posted above): "no other county is providing more England-qualified players to this year's 100-ball jamboree than Surrey and Warwickshire, who, between them, will be missing a total of 24 during the Royal London (or 22 per cent of all those drafted for The Hundred)".

Onwards and upwards: roll on September.
Warkwickshire had 7 first team players in the 11 so not a weak side.

optimistnot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:30 am

Nothing to do with either. I would think he is considering carefully his England future. It has been mentioned that he probably won't play again. He may just decide to retire if he doesn't want to end his career in County cricket. I hope not, but wouldn't surprise me at all.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:39 am

Stewie pointed out re Burns it was not only physical, but also mental. Stewart hinted that Burns has received some bad news but was very careful not to leak it. My feeling - and he did not say this - is he may have got the sack from the ECB. He may take part in the latter stages of the One Day Cup but that is not a guarantee. This was agreed by all parties - Burns himself, Surrey, Oval Invincibles, and the ECB (as he is still centrally contracted until the end of September). Foakes is also “resting” but the way Stewie described it I would opine it is more that he is not fully fit. He is experiencing pain in his hands when catching so he has been ordered to rest to recover. Roy is still interested in red ball cricket. Batty, due to the “Rooney Rule”, will need to reapply for his job. They hinted “his live interview is going well”. Amla and Roach have gone home for a bit. They won’t play in the One Day Cup under any circumstances. No decisions have been taken yet about 2023 and Elworthy was very clear that media reports are incorrect on this. Stewie’s opinion is leave any change until 2024. Geddes was made 50 over captain as he is a natural born leader and captained his club side aged 19…!

In terms of the off-field stuff, Elworthy is very keen to clamp down on non-members accessing members areas. He came up with a lot of solutions, none of which are particularly ideal to me. Likewise, we need to improve bar speeds especially at major matchdays. He apologised for the India ODI situation and said this was human error as the transfer of data from the old ticketing system to the new missed around 1500 names.

Ultimately the broadcast deal means the Hundred is baked in until 2028 now so we’ll just have to grin and bear it. He suggested reducing the Blast to 10 games as he believes this would make each game more likely to sell out. This year we had 3 home games in 6 days which he says affected ticket sales negatively.

RB

guildfordbat and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 am

I could weep when I hear that a player aged 31 is considering retiring from the game just because they are not currently in the England team. When I was young even as great a player as John Edrich was not an automatic test pick in the latter part of his career: he had to compete with the likes of Boycott, Amiss, Luckhurst, David "Bumble" Lloyd, Barry Wood and others for a spot. He continued to captain Surrey with pride, regardless of whether he happened to be in or out of the test side during the 70s. Of course, in those days you did not 'get the sack" from England...if you were scoring enough runs at county level, you always had a chance. Bloody Central Con-Tricks.

I appreciate that we are in different era, but if someone as accomplished as Alistair Cook can take pleasure from playing county cricket through his 30s, why is it so difficult for someone rather fortunate to have had the chance to play as many games as he has for England to be motivated by the honour of continuing to play for, and captain, Surrey?

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:54 am

It would be a good time to retire from cricket. Although he'll probably move into something equally corrupt

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am

RB wrote:Stewie pointed out re Burns it was not only physical, but also mental. Stewart hinted that Burns has received some bad news but was very careful not to leak it. My feeling - and he did not say this - is he may have got the sack from the ECB. He may take part in the latter stages of the One Day Cup but that is not a guarantee. This was agreed by all parties - Burns himself, Surrey, Oval Invincibles, and the ECB (as he is still centrally contracted until the end of September). Foakes is also “resting” but the way Stewie described it I would opine it is more that he is not fully fit. He is experiencing pain in his hands when catching so he has been ordered to rest to recover. Roy is still interested in red ball cricket. Batty, due to the “Rooney Rule”, will need to reapply for his job. They hinted “his live interview is going well”. Amla and Roach have gone home for a bit. They won’t play in the One Day Cup under any circumstances. No decisions have been taken yet about 2023 and Elworthy was very clear that media reports are incorrect on this. Stewie’s opinion is leave any change until 2024. Geddes was made 50 over captain as he is a natural born leader and captained his club side aged 19…!

In terms of the off-field stuff, Elworthy is very keen to clamp down on non-members accessing members areas. He came up with a lot of solutions, none of which are particularly ideal to me. Likewise, we need to improve bar speeds especially at major matchdays. He apologised for the India ODI situation and said this was human error as the transfer of data from the old ticketing system to the new missed around 1500 names.

Ultimately the broadcast deal means the Hundred is baked in until 2028 now so we’ll just have to grin and bear it. He suggested reducing the Blast to 10 games as he believes this would make each game more likely to sell out. This year we had 3 home games in 6 days which he says affected ticket sales negatively.

RB - many thanks for the overview. Informative and helpful.

guildfordbat

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:52 am

One consequence of the number of Surrey players stolen for the horrid hundred is that we have a clutch of players nowhere near the first team and unlikely to play much except in the 50 over games. I would say that McKerr, Taylor, Kimber, Reifer, Blake and Steel come into this category despite valuable contributions recently. Not sensible financially I imagine.

Another wonderful game yesterday, I was resigned to a heavy defeat before the fireworks started. This squad of players have got their competitive never say die spirit from Batty I think. Warwickshire must have wondered why we had inverted the batting order to put the tail in before the proper batters.

offdrive4

Jackers, Keith Powell and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:08 pm

Bad news for Virdi and Moriarty if Batty is confirmed as Coach. Would not be surprised if they looked elsewhere. Not good for career prospects if you hardly ever get a match.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:15 pm

Badges wrote:Yesterday i saw Sutton draw with Malden Wanderers,both teams scoring 192.In the Malden W team was one Dan Euston.Does anyone know/remember the Surrey CCC connection with him?

Euston played in the "4 wicketkeepers" match in 2008.............BATTY,NEWMAN,EUSTON and WILSON.Euston was rung at home by Alan Butcher and summoned to the ground.It was Stuart Meaker's CC debut also Lee Hodgson made his only CC appearance for us.Shoaib Akhtar also made one of his 2 appearances.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-championship-division-one-2008-319681/surrey-vs-nottinghamshire-319944/full-scorecard

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:17 pm

Strange that nobody knew this on a Surrey CCC supporters forum!

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:48 pm

There must have been other '4 wicketkeeper' matches since?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:40 pm

VicNorth wrote:There must have been other '4 wicketkeeper' matches since?

Pretty sure that Burns, Sangakkara, Wilson, Davies, and Foakes all played a game together at some point.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm

In the game i mentioned all 4 kept wicket in the same match.One of them was rung up at home during the match and asked how long it would take him to get to The Oval.

PLEASE STOP SPOUTING BOLLOCKS.........................

Last edited by Badges on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:40 pm

VicNorth wrote:There must have been other '4 wicketkeeper' matches since?

All 4 actually kept wicket.I don't think it's happened before or since but so what? I was merely mentioning a famous Surrey CC game that lots of supporters will remember.I didn't say it was unique although i suspect it is.Is that OK clever bollocks?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:05 pm

I wasn't in anyway trying to out do or belittle you. I'm interested to learn that 4 wicketkeepers have kept in the same match for Surrey. I wasn't watching Surrey in 2008. I didn't live in London.

I think you mean 'spouting bollocks'?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:08 pm

I'm not a competitive Surrey watcher.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:35 am

VicNorth wrote:I wasn't in anyway trying to out do or belittle you. I'm interested to learn that 4 wicketkeepers have kept in the same match for Surrey. I wasn't watching Surrey in 2008. I didn't live in London.

I think you mean 'spouting bollocks'?

Thanks,i've amended it!

Sorry for sounding off but it does seem that certain posters are always trying to top people up or out do others as you put it.My apologies.I had a long chat at Sutton on Saturday with Dan Euston after i approached him about that game.It was very interesting to hear his Surrey stories from around that time.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2