Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement

+4
dougieginn
Cee Gee
offdrive4
David Waghorn
8 posters

Go down

Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement Empty Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement

Post by David Waghorn Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:15 pm

I have just read the very good article on the Surrey CCC website commenting on Hashim Amla's retirement and in particular there are testamonials about his contribution to the county by his playing peers at Surrey. It makes wonderful reading and it is obvious that Hashim was an important cog in the success we have have in recent years. We now though have to look for his replacement and having read all the comments, it is clear that we would benefit most from another top class batsman who has a very similar temperament and would have the same respect from the other players. With this in mind, I think there is one person who stands out to fill Hashim's boots and that is KANE WILLIAMSON. We should definitely try to sign Kane as Hashim's replacement, he would be perfect. According to current information on the internet, this coming season New Zealand do not appear to be committed to any touring and therefore Williamson should be available for at least the majority of the season. He has recently relinquished the captaincy of his country and already it seems to have had a really positive effect on his batting. Do others agree?

David Waghorn

Back to top Go down

Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement Empty Re: Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement

Post by offdrive4 Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:07 pm

We already have Roach for the early season and solid rumors of Abbot coming back too so it looks as if Surrey are looking for pace bowlers rather than batters. Maybe they want to give Geddes a run. Williamson is a good shout, class player.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement Empty Re: Retirement of Hashim Amla and potential replacement

Post by David Waghorn Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 pm

Yes but we had both Amla and Roach for the first few red ball games last season. If Abbot comes it will surely be as Roach's replacement and/or for mainly white ball stuff. I still think our batsmen such as Sibley, Geddes, Smith, Patel etc. would definitely benefit from having someone like Williamson around.

David Waghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:38 am

We signed Sibley so that’s one key batter out, one key batter in. I’m happy for the kids to get the other chances when they arise. Abbot is likely to be as cover for Overton’s injury and will be alongside Roach. Surrey like to bat deep and aren’t particularly bothered where the runs come from.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:39 am

Need someone to replace the runs Amla usually scores,so the other overseas player needs to be a good batsman. The seam bowling is ok especially with Tom Curran now fit and available

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:21 pm

Kane Williamson is in the IPL, so that's a non-starter.

Might I suggest Rassie Van Der Dussen of South Africa? I feel he would fit in well to our team and he is one of those ODI batters who leans towards tests rather than T20s.

It also depends on what we do with Jason Roy, who isn't in the IPL and according to Stewie is still interested in red ball cricket.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:57 pm

Not sure we need another batsman with Sibley for Amla and Roy likely to play. Let's get Geddes in too. Personally I would have gone for a top overseas spinner if available. Virdi Not for me.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Benmug Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:41 am

Personally think Abbott and Roach would make a lot of sense for the first section of the season. Sibley replaces Amla. We have Burns, Pope, Foakes, Sibley, Patel, Smith, Geddes, plus the all rounders. Wickets are key.

It then leaves us in a position to reconsider for the next period. Everyone’s talking in certainties, as in here’s our overseas, but in reality it changes. Once the England players go and maybe pitches start to spin, our overseas focus should/could change. It’s one positive of the revolving door overseas.

Benmug

Ali888, Chinaman, offdrive4 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mphillimore Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am

Chinaman wrote:Not sure we need another batsman with Sibley for Amla and Roy likely to play. Let's get Geddes in too. Personally I would have gone for a top overseas spinner if available. Virdi Not for me.

Would it not be Sibley to come in to open and Patel has surely earned the right to try and earn his place at 3 - or somewhere in the order, we may see Pope at 3 (on the orders of England if nothing else)

Geddes et al will get a run at some point, and hopefully some academy players waiting in the wings, there was a kid whose name I have completely forgotten who did well in the RLC last year (Sheldon Gumbs or something like?)

It really will be interesting to see if we get Roy at all and if he is available, whether he is picked. A CC batting line up of Burns, Sibley, Pope, Roy, Foakes, Sam, Smith, Clark...I mean good lord.

mphillimore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down