Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

+9
VicNorth
Benmug
RightArmSlow
Longshanks
guildfordbat
Cee Gee
Steve
Sir Winston Churchill
offdrive4
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page... Empty Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:34 pm

I have barely ever posted on the blooming thing. I can only imagine some woke social media nerd at Surrey CCC has taken offence to my assertion that the Surrey ACE programme is racist.

I cannot possibly apologise for thinking the ACE programme should be for ALL under privileged kids in the Surrey area.It clearly states that it is for black kids only. What a disgrace. Imagine a little white kid turning up during an ACE "open" day, and then being turned away for no other reason than the colour of his skin. I thought we were trying to move away from racism.

Seriously this ill conceived idea needs a to be consigned to the dustbin, or better still reworked to look after all underprivileged kids who want to play cricket.

Last edited by Sir Winston Churchill on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Vauxhall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page... Empty Re: Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

Post by Jackers Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:03 pm

As I have said previously, however well intentioned ACE may be it is not inclusive and its emphasis should be extended to embrace all kids who would otherwise not be given opportunities and encouragement to play cricket, regardless of their ethnicity.

Assuming you didn't use offensive language it does not reflect well on the club to ban or censor anyone who expresses a point of view which is not "on message". Perhaps this is something our soon-to-be-newly-elected General Committee representatives can take up.
Jackers
Jackers

Sir Winston Churchill and Vauxhall like this post

Back to top Go down

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page... Empty Re: Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

Post by Chinaman Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:16 pm

Well many years ago we had an issue in Greenwich Leisure about Women Only Gym and Swim sessions. The Council justified this by saying that "young girls and women were unrepresented in sport". That was very true statistically in the 90's more so than now days. However when some men said they wanted men only sessions it wasn't allowed. But the council said that men could,if they wanted, join the women's swim sessions. In reality there was very little take up, perhaps not surprisingly. In gyms, the ladies don't really want sweaty testorone men, on the machine next to them.
In the case of Ace if the reasoning is similiar, I would be seriously worried if they were turning away young white people. But in reality how many white kids would go to a ethnic only session? I would hope sport was for all, but in today's woke climate that's problematic at best. e.g. Black Lives Matter, no all lives matter.
I wouldn't worry about being banned from Twitter, Sir Winston, it's full of nonsense and lies like most social media sites. Does more harm than good, but in this case either Surrey and/or Twitter are taking the woke view.

Chinaman

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm

Certainly didn’t use bad language Jackers. I simply stated my point at the exclusion of under privileged white kids.

Having just looked at their website and it reiterates it is for black kids only. Even wealthy black kids. I simply am staggered at this organisation and it exclusive black kid only affair. Funny no mention of asians being allowed to attend either.

I’m better off leaving it there as it winds me up rotten.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:40 pm

I did read sometime ago that the question of a white kid being turned away was raised with Surrey who were categoric that this would not happen, no-one would be turned away. I fully accept that the local black kids seem to have lost touch with cricket and approve of an effort to encourage more of them to play.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Benmug Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:49 pm

For a message board that constantly complains about the focus not being cricket, it’s weird that every other thread is a moan about the world being too woke. I see the word more on here than any other aspect of life (including other cricket forums)

Benmug

Cee Gee, offdrive4, Pink Panther and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Don’t be so daft Benmug. ACE is 100% to do with cricket. Its head office is at the oval, it was conceived by Surrey CCC.
My only guess is that you yourself must be woke.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:03 am

A lot of people think racism only works one way.
It doesn’t. Look at Steven Lawrence day last week
a black youth killed by white youths. There have
been white youths killed by black youths but there hasn’t been any mention in the media of remembrance day for the poor family of any white
youths killed by groups of black men.

The families of the white youths killed have been
through the same pain and grief as the Lawrence
family had to suffer but that never gets mentioned.
The press and media think racism is a one way street
white on black when it isn’t.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:08 am

Ben Kinsella stabbed to death by black youths in 2008.
Racist murder never gets mentioned by the media. The
Ben Kinsella Trust never hear of it in the media. All you get
is Steven Lawrence this Steven Lawrence that. The press
and main stream media are so woke and terrified of upsetting
any other organisations. A life is a life whatever colour of the
persons skin.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:56 am

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Don’t be so daft Benmug. ACE is 100% to do with cricket. Its head office is at the oval, it was conceived by Surrey CCC.

Snowflake

Cee Gee

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 am

Might be wise to get back on track with the cricket, Benmug has a point above, if rather exaggerated. There's no winners here.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:20 am

Chinaman wrote:Might be wise to get back on track with the cricket ...

I'm just glad Adelaide is on holiday. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:08 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Might be wise to get back on track with the cricket ...

I'm just glad Adelaide is on holiday. Wink

Nope. Just seemed to me that the issues other than SWC's defenestration had been done to death.

Then two posts came along which made my jaw drop but sometimes they are best left to speak volumes by themselves rather than answered with an essay.

adelaide

Cee Gee, offdrive4 and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 am

It would be great if our club just focused on cricket, so that we can do so on this board. Having said that, I agree that we don't have to "bite". We can just choose to ignore ACE, Rainbow Laces, the "Surrey Pride" T20 match yada yada yada. Oxygen of publicity and all that....

Leaving aside whether we each welcome or despair of such stuff, the core issue of being permitted to express views in which are not "on message" in response to club social media posts was at the heart of Sir Winston's original post. I hope that we can all agree that censorship is never clever.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am

Just stating a fact. You never in the media hear about
the poor family of Ben Kinsella coping with the racist murder
by black youths. You hear regularly about Doreen Lawrence
and her sons murder. Fact Adelaide me old son.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Longshanks Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:01 pm

Which tweet were you replying to? The last ACE tweet was in March.

Longshanks

Back to top Go down

Post by RightArmSlow Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Wow the closed mindedness on here is incredible.

Guess it reflects the age of people that follow county cricket.

RightArmSlow

Jason and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm

Reflects how many snowflakes follow county cricket.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:07 pm

Steve wrote:Reflects how many snowflakes follow county cricket.

You said it.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Benmug Wed May 03, 2023 4:19 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:Don’t be so daft Benmug. ACE is 100% to do with cricket. Its head office is at the oval, it was conceived by Surrey CCC.
Woke is a word created to group together anyone you disagree with, so yes, I’m woke. Unlike you I don’t really see it as a massive insult.

Benmug

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed May 03, 2023 5:10 pm

Benmug wrote:
Woke was a word created to group together anyone you disagree with, so yes, I’m woke. Unlike you I don’t really see it as a massive insult.

Woke was a word used in the context of the "underground railroad" that helped fugitive slaves away from the South. Its more recent meaning seems to be something like being aware of inequalities, again initially in the States. With that meaning, I would have thought that most people were at least a bit woke.

The third meaning, which is the context in which it becomes an insult, is when opponents associate it with a whole bundle of actions to counteract said inequalities. That seems to me to be a deliberate attempt, particularly by certain parts of the media, to tar people with a whole B&Q worth of brushes and seems no more helpful or sensible than describing as a racist anyone who opposes things like ACE. Both raise the temperature and it seems to me that they are intended to avoid sensible discussion. One so-called woke person may be an enthusiast for something like ACE, another may think it is unhelpful, or even harmful. Their attitudes might be the other way round on a different initiative. Look at the bewildering trans issue for diametrically opposed attitudes amongst the so-called woke!

Getting back to ACE itself, I don't think there is much doubt that the private/public education split results in disproportionately few state school pupils in professional cricket. The issue was whether ethnic minority state school pupils faced additional barriers, either real (though quite likely unintentional) or assumed. The low numbers in the game suggest there probably are issues, in which case what do you do about it? ACE might not be the answer but what is?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed May 03, 2023 5:28 pm

And woke is more specifically related to racial discrimination. However it's taken over from Political Correctness so is used for anything deemed daft in society. For example people who get "offended" over nothing and rewriting history and famous books to fit in with "modern thinking", to name but two. Today the ECB has decided that those cricketers deemed to be racist to that questionable Rafiq should be fined and attend an "appropriate course" on racial awareness. Jesus. Yes well these supposed offences only took place 13 years ago. ECB? Woke I reckon. People should really find something better to do to benefit society. My God it bloody needs it.
Anyway looking forward to a great match this week.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed May 03, 2023 6:29 pm

Just abolish public schools.

VicNorth

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed May 03, 2023 7:31 pm

adelaide wrote:
Benmug wrote:
Woke was a word created to group together anyone you disagree with, so yes, I’m woke. Unlike you I don’t really see it as a massive insult.

Woke was a word used in the context of the "underground railroad" that helped fugitive slaves away from the South. Its more recent meaning seems to be something like being aware of inequalities, again initially in the States. With that meaning, I would have thought that most people were at least a bit woke.

The third meaning, which is the context in which it becomes an insult, is when opponents associate it with a whole bundle of actions to counteract said inequalities. That seems to me to be a deliberate attempt, particularly by certain parts of the media, to tar people with a whole B&Q worth of brushes and seems no more helpful or sensible than describing as a racist anyone who opposes things like ACE. Both raise the temperature and it seems to me that they are intended to avoid sensible discussion. One so-called woke person may be an enthusiast for something like ACE, another may think it is unhelpful, or even harmful. Their attitudes might be the other way round on a different initiative. Look at the bewildering trans issue for diametrically opposed attitudes amongst the so-called woke!

Getting back to ACE itself, I don't think there is much doubt that the private/public education split results in disproportionately few state school pupils in professional cricket. The issue was whether ethnic minority state school pupils faced additional barriers, either real (though quite likely unintentional) or assumed. The low numbers in the game suggest there probably are issues, in which case what do you do about it? ACE might not be the answer but what is?

Many words change their meaning over time, often with little rationale. For example, a "chauvinist" in modern parlance is used as a form of insult towards a particularly arrogant male, but its original meaning was to describe someone who was extremely patriotic, after Nicolas Chauvin, a french soldier who was noted for his love of France and devotion to Napoleon. There was once a lovely innocent three-letter word, widely used in the English language to describe "carefree", "joyful", "mirth". It was 'adopted' by the homosexual community sometime in the 50s or 60s, so that now you rarely if ever hear it used in its original context unless you happen to catch an old episode of The Flintstones.

So forgive me if I don't feel it necessary to apologise for using "woke" as many of us  now do to encapsulate, as Chinaman says, a whole raft of (as we see it) over-the-top, virtue-signalling behaviours, initiatives and statements, while ackowledging that its original meaning was  simply "awake to injustice".  

Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 pm

Yes, language changes but I thought I would tackle Benmug's "invented" point.

Both Chinaman and Jackers make my point in a way. The power and danger of the hijacked word as an insult is precisely that it is intended to imply that anyone woke must by definition sign up to every last one of a whole raft of policies and actions. To me it is a lazy substitute for serious discussion and risks throwing out the reasonable baby with the mucky bath water. It also seems to me that some of the people crying "woke" are in danger of turning into a mirror image of the most determinedly woke who similarly try and shut down discussion by crying "racist", "transphobe" or whatever. It's a form of shouting down and not in my view the best way of dealing with real world problems.

I've said before that it was a shame that the Rafiq case descended into accusations against individuals rather than the wider issues at Yorkshire (and elsewhere). OK, you might say, Rafiq should not have named anybody in that case. However, if you look at the racism accusations made by Luther Burrell about (primarily) Newcastle rugby club, he did not name names. And what did some tell him? You should have named the individuals as now we are all tarred with the same brush. Can't win either way, it seems. But, hey, perhaps best not speak about it all because of the chorus of cries "woke" that will come from some quarters.

adelaide

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next