Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

+9
VicNorth
Benmug
RightArmSlow
Longshanks
guildfordbat
Cee Gee
Steve
Sir Winston Churchill
offdrive4
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

Post by Chinaman Thu May 04, 2023 6:52 am

Yes, but dependent on your point of view, those deemed as woke seem to me to fit most of the criteria: for example shut down any discussion because their argument is generally floored and ill thought out. Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion come to mind. Why do a minority of idiots think it's ok for them to glue themselves to the road and inconvenience other peoples daily lives in the name of their very questionable cause while the police give them cups of tea? As dear old mum would say "these people don't have enough to do. But enough of this wokery as I'm off to Chelmsford (hope their not blocking the Blackwall Tunnel).
Enjoy the day.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ive been banned from Surrey Twitter page...

Post by adelaide Thu May 04, 2023 11:04 am

Chinaman

A comedian once said "if you've been cancelled, how come I can still hear you?". I disagree with the concept of cancellation (it is usually counterproductive in any case) but I see just shouting "woke" as being intended to have the same effect - hence my comment about mirror images. I like the idea of a "floored" argument BTW - good old spellchecker strikes again.

I doubt that many of the so-called woke back the tactics of ER and Just Stop Oil. More may agree that climate change is a looming disaster but so, I suspect, do many who are unwoke in other ways. Why must an anti-racist activist agree with people glueing themselves to roads? Why must a xenophobe think that climate change is not a problem? People's views are a lot more complex than that and simply labelling a whole set of unrelated views (and extreme actions) as woke does us all a disservice.

Chelmsford is not my favourite ground but I hope you enjoy it. Though not too much!

adelaide

David W likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu May 04, 2023 4:35 pm

Don't understand your first paragraph. Who said anyone has to agree, but I expect a reasoned argument based on facts rather than conspiracy theories by ex students funded by the bank of mum and dad and making ordinary people's lives a misery.

We agree to disagree once again!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedmore Wanderer Thu May 04, 2023 6:49 pm

I have my own views on this topic but have learned it’s best not to share them on this forum which should be confined to cricket matters.

Wedmore Wanderer

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu May 04, 2023 6:59 pm

Chinaman wrote:Don't understand your first paragraph. Who said anyone has to agree, but I expect a reasoned argument based on facts rather than conspiracy theories by ex students funded by the bank of mum and dad and making ordinary people's lives a misery.

We agree to disagree once again!

No, I agree with you on reasoned argument. My point in my first paragraph was that "war on woke" rhetoric also corrodes reasoned argument. Conspiracy theories are hardly the exclusive property of the woke or ex students by the way; they are present at both ends of whichever spectrum you are looking at.

It looked pretty cold at Chelmsford this afternoon on the live stream but I hope you had a good day.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri May 05, 2023 6:46 am

Sometimes cricket matters infringe on other issues, but I accept Wedmore Wanderers point.
Weather was ok yesterday Adelaide, not shirtsleeves for most though. Doesn't affect me much being an outdoor swimmer. Today a couple of showers but looking ok as we speak. The ACU weather site seems the most accurate. Don't bother with the BBC forecast.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2