Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent at the Oval

+20
RB
KeninWestWickham
Keith Powell
Jedrich
Benmug
guildfordbat
Howzat
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Jhe10077
John Hamilton
Admin
Coatesy
David Waghorn
Alex!
Chinaman
offdrive4
Jackers
Angus French
Steve
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kent at the Oval - Page 2 Empty Re: Kent at the Oval

Post by Howzat Thu May 18, 2023 4:38 pm

This is a farce now. Why did we not try jacks earlier?

Howzat

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu May 18, 2023 4:41 pm

back to letting teams doubling their score with the last few batting i see

Coatesy

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Ridiculously Green.We are becoming The New Somerset fixing our wickets it doesn’t sit right with me.What’s  the difference with a dust bowl or a green top we will probably sign up Ashwin later in the Summer and leave the Ends Bare.

It’s a good track. Leaving a layer of grass on doesn’t automatically mean it’s a doctored wicket! The lower order for Kent showed there are plenty of runs out there too.

Cee Gee

dougieginn and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu May 18, 2023 7:36 pm

Nothing whatsoever wrong with the pitch, however green it may have looked. The wickets we took were as a result of good balls, sharp catches and the odd batting misjudgement such as Compton shouldering arms to a straight ball.

Kent are a better batting side than Middlesex, but it was frustrating that we let the tail wag so much. At least it should guarantee us another four-day match, which is welcome given a good weekend forecast followed by no championship cricket for several weeks.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu May 18, 2023 8:11 pm

Ridiculous field placings by Burns. He is not a good captain.  Number 11 and no slips. And our bowling went to bits. Why doesn't anyone bowl yorkers to tail enders any more? Apart from that, well so far even stevens I reckon.

Last edited by Chinaman on Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Thu May 18, 2023 8:38 pm

I agree ,full and Straight used to be the recipe for tail Enders,but few bowlers now seem to try it.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu May 18, 2023 9:02 pm

Important first couple of Hours in the morning if we are only 2 wickets down in that session we should gain the upper hand.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu May 18, 2023 9:58 pm

Chinaman wrote:Ridiculous field placings by Burns. He is not a good captain.  Number 11 and no slips. And our bowling went to bits. Why doesn't anyone bowl yorkers to tail enders any more? Apart from that, well so far even stevens I reckon.

Hi China - always tricky to say after only one day but I reckon we're ahead albeit by not nearly as much as it should be given the hop county were 196/9 and before that 118/7. I certainly back our remaining 9 wickets to score more than 190 tomorrow and establish a decent lead.

Not detracting from your comments and Dougie's about bowling yorkers and keeping it full and straight to the tail but it should be acknowledged that in general the batsmanship of bowlers has improved enormously in recent years. I also recall Hogan smashing sixes into Woodbridge Road when playing for Glamorgan at Guildford not that long ago.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Thu May 18, 2023 10:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Ridiculous field placings by Burns. He is not a good captain.  Number 11 and no slips. And our bowling went to bits. Why doesn't anyone bowl yorkers to tail enders any more? Apart from that, well so far even stevens I reckon.

Hi China - always tricky to say after only one day but I reckon we're ahead albeit by not nearly as much as it should be given the hop county were 196/9 and before that 118/7. I certainly back our remaining 9 wickets to score more than 190 tomorrow and establish a decent lead.

Not detracting from your comments and Dougie's about bowling yorkers and keeping it full and straight to the tail but it should be acknowledged that in general the batsmanship of bowlers has improved enormously in recent years. I also recall Hogan smashing sixes into Woodbridge Road when playing for Glamorgan at Guildford not that long ago.

Given one of our England players averages nearly 100 on the ground and another will be very keen to prove a point I'd say that's a pretty sound bet.
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Benmug Fri May 19, 2023 12:40 am

Over a season, you’ll get tail wags, just as you’ll get collapses like last week. Both from us and the opponents. Most things have gone our way over the last season and a third, I wouldn’t over think it.

Benmug

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri May 19, 2023 8:52 am

I think we missed Kemar Roach when the tail was wagging.

Jhe10077

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri May 19, 2023 8:57 am

I think with Roach absent playing 5 pacemen is just about acceptable.But unnecessary if Roach is included.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri May 19, 2023 8:58 am

Jackers wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Given one of our England players averages nearly 100 on the ground and another will be very keen to prove a point I'd say that's a pretty sound bet

Other run scorers are available. Wink

guildfordbat

Ali888 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Hamilton Fri May 19, 2023 11:23 am

These commentators banging on about England are not reading the room at all.

John Hamilton

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri May 19, 2023 11:58 am

I clearly jinxed Ollie Pope: if he persists in walking down the wicket before the ball is bowled he will be seriously exposed by the Australian bowlers.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri May 19, 2023 11:59 am

John Hamilton wrote:
These commentators banging on about England are not reading the room at all.

Bring back Churchy ???

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 pm

Not 100% convinced that was a clean catch

Crawley, who was fielding by the bowler, certainly didnt celebrate.

Looked to be grounded before going in the hand of slip to me

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 pm

100% not out.

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 pm

Coatesy wrote:Not 100% convinced that was a clean catch

Crawley, who was fielding by the bowler, certainly didnt celebrate.

Looked to be grounded before going in the hand of slip to me

Agreed. With the Sky cameras there that wouldn't have been given out.

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri May 19, 2023 1:03 pm

Bump ball on the live stream by miles. Umpire "Blind Pew" needs to go to Specsavers.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri May 19, 2023 1:18 pm

The text from BBC

WHAT A CATCH. Jack Leaning with a ridiculous diving catch to his left at second slip.

Dom Sibley doesn't want to go, he thinks it's hit the deck. He stands stock still for a very long time. It looks right on the cusp. If that was a Test match we'd be watching zoomed-in replays for eight minutes.

Perhaps the best view of all belongs to Zak Crawley at silly mid-on, he looks surprised it was given. He doesn't celebrate for a good couple of seconds until after his teammates do.

Perhaps the reason that Crawley didnt celebrate was cos he knew it wasnt out, he even sheepishly looks at the umpire, but the camera moved away, so not sure if he or the other one gave the catch. and whats wrong with watching replays for ages, as long as they get the right decision.

Coatesy

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri May 19, 2023 2:13 pm

This is developing into a bit of a farce

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri May 19, 2023 2:18 pm

T20 batting arrived early at the oval slap bang wallop.
Pope Foakes and Jack's dreadful.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Fri May 19, 2023 2:22 pm

Jackers wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Given one of our England players averages nearly 100 on the ground and another will be very keen to prove a point I'd say that's a pretty sound bet.

not looking likely at the moment

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri May 19, 2023 2:32 pm

They are not playing like a bottom team and we are definitely not playing like a top side!! Think we have underestimated Kent. We will have to play a lot better from now on to win this one!! Very disappointing!!

dougieginn

Keith Powell and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next