Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent at the Oval

+20
RB
KeninWestWickham
Keith Powell
Jedrich
Benmug
guildfordbat
Howzat
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Jhe10077
John Hamilton
Admin
Coatesy
David Waghorn
Alex!
Chinaman
offdrive4
Jackers
Angus French
Steve
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Kent at the Oval - Page 4 Empty Re: Kent at the Oval

Post by Jackers Sat May 20, 2023 1:25 pm

Well, that was a thoroughly comprehensive win, on a scale which didn't look at all likely this time yesterday. What a difference a day makes. Tom Lawes is an outstanding talent: no doubt the parasites will have him for The Hundred so we won't see him for the 50 over stuff.

I am nonetheless annoyed that there is no cricket for the best part of the weekend. If games started on Friday or Saturday we would be guaranteed most of if not a full weekend of cricket. Sort it out, ECB.
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Howzat Sat May 20, 2023 1:28 pm

Another great win. If we hadn’t let their tail wag on day 1 this woulda been a 2 day game!

Howzat

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat May 20, 2023 2:01 pm

There is no reason why the 4 day games early season could not start on Saturday. At least those working Mon-Fri can see weekend cricket even if some go to football Saturday afternoon. At the moment your lucky to get Sunday play and if the ODC rounds were played April and May you could utilise all the Bank Holidays like the B&H used to do. Maybe the ECB is unaware of Bank Holidays.

Chinaman

Jackers, Keith Powell and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat May 20, 2023 2:31 pm

Very impressive win today, Made al the more satisfying by the part played by Atkinson and Lawes ,our two “reserves”. Will find it hard for Overton, Topley and Sam to get back in the side. Terrific competition for places in this side,which must be a good for the team going forward.

dougieginn

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KeninWestWickham Sat May 20, 2023 3:42 pm

Jackers wrote:While Pope and Foakes didn't deliver as I'd expected, the team as a whole is on course to do so. Our tail wagged as furiously as Kent's had done. Abbott is arguably worth his place as a batsman alone, or at least he would be in most other first division batting line-ups.

All of our bowlers have contributed again in this match, but one man just seems break through whenever we seem to be struggling to get wickets. Tom Lawes opens doors.

The only slight personal frustration is that I now doubt we'll get a fourth day. Don't get me wrong, I love Surrey winning decisively, but we've had so little cricket in nice weather and as I will be away for the Lancashire match in June, it will be a long time until I get to see any more championship, so I was looking forward to two days of sunny weekend cricket. Ah well, I guess we're just too bloody good.

Jackers - if Tom Lawes opens doors originates from you, I’d get it copyrighted!

KeninWestWickham

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sun May 21, 2023 9:06 am

Chinaman wrote:There is no reason why the 4 day games early season could not start on Saturday. At least those working Mon-Fri can see weekend cricket even if some go to football Saturday afternoon.  At the moment your lucky to get Sunday play and if the ODC rounds were played April and May you could utilise all the Bank Holidays like the B&H used to do. Maybe the ECB is unaware of Bank Holidays.
I can only assume the Thursday starts are what a majority of counties want. A couple of weekdays for retired members and the uncertainty of an early finish on days 3 and 4 for the rest of us. I could have done Friday if I'd committed in advance but showers were forecast a day or two earlier while the weekend was set fair.

I think we have only two more days of Championship cricket at home this year, both from Sunday starts.

These two hammerings of Kent and Middlesex aren't the greatest advertisement for the 10 team Division 1. There seem to be at least three weak teams and one of them will still be there next year. At least, with the lopsided fixture list, we have further opportunities to cash in against both Kent and Middlesex.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sun May 21, 2023 9:58 am

We have had a great start to the season, but beware hubris! The title is not in our hands yet and there is much still to do. We are losing Abbott and Roach probably and despite the squad of pace bowlers we have they will be missed, plus our best batsman Pope will be called up for the Ashes.

That said it is lovely to see Surrey top of the pile, keep it up lads!

On a slightly different point have we got to a position where the first division is divided into a few strong counties and a number of weaker ones (e.g. Kent).

offdrive4

dougieginn and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun May 21, 2023 10:04 am

I think the ECB sets the schedule rather than care about what the Counties want. For example 6 games by mid May. They should be promoting the game more. For instance Essex and Hants do a 4 day ticket for under £40. Get more people in many of who would buy stuff in the ground.  And you won't get kids in on weekdays unless it's holidays. Oh hang on no county cricket in August!

Chinaman

dougieginn and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun May 21, 2023 12:31 pm

When there are as few as 7 home championship matches, and the majority of them are scheduled at a time of year that is unlikely to be conducive to cricket-watching, you really don't want any that take place in decent weather to last two-and-a-bit days.

One of the aggravating factors in the first division is that every one of the 10 counties' bowling attacks is noticeably stronger than its batting (and I include Surrey, especially when Pope is away). Last season, Kent were the exception, but this year they appear to have marginally strengthened a pitifully weak attack while their batting has regressed.

That's why I am always loathe to complain about pitches being "roads" when, for a change, the batsmen are doing well. I think groundsmen need to compensate for the dominance of bowlers over batsmen in the first division by producing pitches that will at least give us a sporting chance of four days of cricket.

Last edited by Jackers on Sun May 21, 2023 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sun May 21, 2023 1:24 pm

I would say the pitches this season so far and last season have been excellent ones,rewarding good batting as well as good bowling.The groundsman has got the pitch preparation just right.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun May 21, 2023 3:49 pm

dougieginn wrote:I would say the pitches this season so far and last season have been excellent ones,rewarding good batting as well as good bowling.The groundsman has got the pitch preparation just right.

Yes I'd agree. You may recall we played Kent twice last year on two roads, Oval and Beckenham. On "roads" I still would rather have a 2 -3 day exciting game rather than be bored for four days with a 600 plays 600. In saying that, it's a shame you miss a 4th day on a nice Sunday. But as I said previously you wouldn't if the games started on a Saturday. The next two games are Sunday starts, hope the weather is nice.

Chinaman

dougieginn and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sun May 21, 2023 3:57 pm

Chinaman wrote:I think the ECB sets the schedule rather than care about what the Counties want. For example 6 games by mid May. They should be promoting the game  more. For instance Essex and Hants do a 4 day ticket for under £40. Get more people in many of who would buy stuff in the ground.  And you won't get kids in on weekdays unless it's holidays. Oh hang on no county cricket in August!
I'm sure the ECB sets the agenda in prioritising international fixtures and its own infernal franchise tournament over scheduling county fixtures.
However, I can't see any reason why the ECB would insist upon Thursday starts for these first 7 rounds of the Championship if the counties collectively preferred a Friday or Saturday start. There have been no other fixtures so far to get in the way of doing that. I can only assume the majority are happy with Thursdays and others don't want to move their home games when they may have a day less than the opposition to prepare for the following game.

Whatever the reason, I find it immensely frustrating. I just hope there's still a worthwhile Championship by 2033, when I'll finally be free of weekday work commitments.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun May 21, 2023 7:33 pm

JRoy still contracted to play Red Ball Cricket for Surrey you never know.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun May 21, 2023 7:57 pm

Sean Abbott is now averaging 52.80 ,not far behind Pope.

Badges

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:JRoy still contracted to play Red Ball Cricket for Surrey you never know.

And he would replace who? No I don't think so.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon May 22, 2023 2:34 am

If we get Test Call ups you never know!

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon May 22, 2023 6:59 am

Good point. But at the moment I only see losing Pope from a batting point of view, who will be replaced by Latham. Looks like England's problems are around bowling with now injuries to Robinson and Anderson as well as Archer out and now Wood saying 3 Tests may be his limit. And Stokes bowling? Doubtful. Watch out Atkinson and Lawes!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon May 22, 2023 8:56 am

Chinaman wrote:Good point. But at the moment I only see losing Pope from a batting point of view, who will be replaced by Latham. Looks like England's problems are around bowling with now injuries to Robinson and Anderson as well as Archer out and now Wood saying 3 Tests may be his limit. And Stokes bowling? Doubtful. Watch out Atkinson and Lawes!

England have a number of seam-bowling cabs waiting on the rank to cover the first-choice attack: Woakes, Sam Curran, Saqib Mahmood, Craig Overton. The one guy I rate above any of them is Sam Cook at Essex. His record of 238 wickets in 66 first-class (and first-division) matches at a career average of under 20 speaks for itself.  At 25 he is in his bowling prime.
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther and RightArmSlow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon May 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Mmmm.....bar Woakes I wouldn't have Curran, Mahmood or Overton near  the Test side. But Cook I'd agree with.

Last edited by Chinaman on Mon May 22, 2023 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon May 22, 2023 6:38 pm

Always thought he looked the Part Ollie Stone but injuries seem to have stunted he’s progress.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon May 22, 2023 7:45 pm

Stone is approaching 30 and has played 46 FC matches.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm

I know looks the real when on the pitch but struggles to keep sound

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4