Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Warwickshire

+23
offdrive4
Coatesy
VicNorth
adelaide
Howzat
SimonH
Jedrich
dougieginn
Chinaman
Ali888
Ray AFCW
John Hamilton
RB
Alex!
Erniep7070
Admin
KeninWestWickham
David Waghorn
Steve
Jhe10077
Badges
Cee Gee
Jackers
27 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Surrey v Warwickshire - Page 6 Empty Re: Surrey v Warwickshire

Post by RB Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:17 pm

VicNorth wrote:Possibly not playing a shot?

It's never hitting off stump in a million years!

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:55 pm

Badges wrote:
Chinaman wrote:There is no cut off time in the County Championship. They finish  the overs, weather and conditions permitting of course. Last night half the wicket was in shade, hence bad light. If the light was deemed suitable they could have finished the allowed overs and claimed the extra eight. But that's subject as to whether the umpires think there is a reasonable chance of a result. In practice probably 8 down.
If you loose time, for example it rains for an hour, you can add on 8 overs the next day, but not day 4. Each session is normally extended by 10 minutes.
Test Matches are a bit of a mish mash as many will know. They should finish at 6 but nearly always go on till 6.30 often still with overs to bowl. But then they walk off, often in perfectly good weather with overs unbowled. I don't go anymore, so I don't really understand why sometimes they play till 7pm.
The latest finish on the CC I can recall seeing was 8.40pm! I can't remember when and it would have been when you had 104 overs in the day.

I've told you once already.IT IS NOW  7 (SEVEN) DOWN..............................Whatever the rules,going off last night in bright sunshine was absolute bollocks.

No unless there is now a hard and fast rule which I doubt, it's up to the umpire and circumstances. If you've just taken 4 wickets in two overs and need 4 you'd probably get another 8 overs.
Last night again half the wicket was in deep shade, you have to be fair to both sides.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:02 pm

RB wrote:
VicNorth wrote:Possibly not playing a shot?

It's never hitting off stump in a million years!

It would struggle not to be!

The contention was that he had got outside the line. Irrelevant if he hasn't really played a shot.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:24 pm

Essex vs Hampshire looks like being a fantastic match with the both teams having very good pace Bowling Attacks and spinners in good form if Essex can take title race into the last Match with us away at the Rose Bowl you never know.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:48 pm

What is the point of Middlesex CCC ? Crap Cricket Club with a ground full of jumped up,nosey parker,busy body stewards
in white jackets who delight in telling the public what they are doing wrong and where they must not go.

4 down and 400 runs adrift at tea.................................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:58 pm

Well I expect the players are doing their best, but I hope they take the drop. Personally I find Middle a boring side, and as I can't stand Lords, well it's a no brainer.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Chinaman wrote:Well I expect the players are doing their best, but I hope they take the drop. Personally I find Middle a boring side, and as I can't stand Lords, well it's a no brainer.

SNAP

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:45 pm

Jacks and Smith called up for England vs Ireland 3 one day matches both miss Northampton game.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:26 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Jacks and Smith called up for England vs Ireland 3 one day matches both miss Northampton game.
Won't they miss the Hampshire game as well ?

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:32 pm

No Essex call ups !

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:53 pm

Badges wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Well I expect the players are doing their best, but I hope they take the drop. Personally I find Middle a boring side, and as I can't stand Lords, well it's a no brainer.

SNAP

Well looking at the score not just boring, but pretty awful.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:34 pm

Chinaman wrote:There is no cut off time in the County Championship. They finish  the overs, weather and conditions permitting of course. Last night half the wicket was in shade, hence bad light. If the light was deemed suitable they could have finished the allowed overs and claimed the extra eight. But that's subject as to whether the umpires think there is a reasonable chance of a result. In practice probably 8 down.
I'm sure no Surrey supporter who was present will have forgotten Kent claiming the extra half hour at Canterbury in 2002, when we were 7 down and about 200 short of the target. The next day we finished on 410/8 and won by 2 wickets.

As for the relegation fight, I don't mind Middlesex CCC but detest Lord's as a venue, with all the jobsworth staff and assorted twits. I could live with playing them at Northwood or Radlett, but they never seem to allocate our fixture to an outground, otherwise I'd rather go to Canterbury or Beckenham.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:47 pm

Pink Panther wrote:
I'm sure no Surrey supporter who was present will have forgotten Kent claiming the extra half hour at Canterbury in 2002, when we were 7 down and about 200 short of the target. The next day we finished on 410/8 and won by 2 wickets.

As for the relegation fight, I don't mind Middlesex CCC but detest Lord's as a venue, with all the jobsworth staff and  assorted twits. I could live with playing them at Northwood or Radlett, but they never seem to allocate our fixture to an outground, otherwise I'd rather go to Canterbury or Beckenham.

There was a One Day Cup scheduled for Radlett this year but it was (a bit of an understatement) rained off. It is a nice ground but you can end up standing most of the time if it is a good crowd. I haven't managed Northwood yet. If only they'd bring back Southgate as I can walk there!

My experience of Lord's is different, probably because I rarely go near the members' areas (and I'm not dressing for work in order to get into the pavilion, thanks very much). The only jobsworth bit for me is the search on the way in, annoying if you can hear applause from within) and I don't get the twits either. Well, there are twits around but not the entitled ones I guess you are referring to. As far as MCCC itself is concerned, it's a struggle for survival (and I don't just mean in CC1) and it isn't pretty. But as any true supporter knows, you nail your colours to the mast and then stick with it even when it is grim - MTWD if you like.

adelaide

dougieginn, Cee Gee and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:15 am

Respect your views.Find it very difficult to criticise Lords Cricket Ground.

Jhe10077

MatthewC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:01 am

The key difference is that many more Surrey supporters will attend Beckenham than Canterbury as it's much nearer for the vast majority. The opposite applies to Middlesex where Lord's is closer than any alternative outgrounds.

In other words, more revenue if games against Surrey are staged at Beckenham and Lord's.
Jackers
Jackers

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:54 am

Jackers wrote:The key difference is that many more Surrey supporters will attend Beckenham than Canterbury as it's much nearer for the vast majority. The opposite applies to Middlesex where Lord's is closer than any alternative outgrounds.

In other words, more revenue if games against Surrey are staged at Beckenham and Lord's.
I was surprised we got a Championship match at Canterbury, as there doesn't seem to have been one there for ages. I went on the Sunday and enjoyed it, although the train fare is expensive to get there for start of play on a weekday. Beckenham is certainly a more convenient location.

Lord's is also convenient of course, as was Southgate. I've never been to Radlett or Northwood.

We had Championship matches against Middlesex, Kent and Essex at Guildford in the space of about 5 years before we stopped having them there, which seemed a bit odd. I remember having 3 visits to Colchester in less than a decade, with no fixture at Chelmsford in most of the other years due to being in different divisions.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Jason likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:37 pm

Warwickshire,like all other counties,have a team of coaches/experts/trickcylists,etc etc etc.......................

Warwickshire arrive at The Oval which is one of the best,in fact probably the best,batting track in England.........

Surrey have lost hardly any games at home in the last few seasons are reigning champions and may well win it again...............

Warwickshire win the toss AND PUT SURREY IN TO BAT...............................

Badges

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:36 pm

Surrey have been winning games with that method all season? Rushworth and Hannon-Dalby are pretty good at what they do?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Warwickshire win the toss AND PUT SURREY IN TO BAT.............................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:56 pm

Howzat wrote:Its just suddenly struck me how far removed from reality some of the posts on this board are:
1)  The endless "Steel is bad" , "Burns is good" (yet again Steel batted in a different league to Burns who has had an appalling season)
2) We have to play spinners (when we've got them 45-5 in only 15 overs with just fasts)
3) Electronic guest passes are the devil incarnate - I used one the other day and rather than pointlessly queue up and manually write stuff on a piece of paper like it was before, and that's without trying to find where you've put the paper voucher, I just booked it and send to a friend on the app
4) We need to be able to pay with cash in the stadia (when most people I know only go to the cashpoint about as often as they write a check these days)

I'm basically at the stage when I listen carefully to whats said on here then do the exact opposite as its bound to be the smart move....

Please make allowances for us lesser mortals.We can't all be as clever as you.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:05 pm

[quote="Badges"]
Howzat wrote:Its just suddenly struck me how far removed from reality some of the posts on this board are:
1)  The endless "Steel is bad" , "Burns is good" (yet again Steel batted in a different league to Burns who has had an appalling season)
2) We have to play spinners (when we've got them 45-5 in only 15 overs with just fasts)
3) Electronic guest passes are the devil incarnate - I used one the other day and rather than pointlessly queue up and manually write stuff on a piece of paper like it was before, and that's without trying to find where you've put the paper voucher, I just booked it and send to a friend on the app
4) We need to be able to pay with cash in the stadia (when most people I know only go to the cashpoint about as often as they write a check these days)

I'm basically at the stage when I listen carefully to whats said on here then do the exact opposite as its bound to be the smart move....

Please keep on posting.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:56 am

Badges wrote:

Please make allowances for us lesser mortals.We can't all be as clever as you.

Well I agree entirely with points 1 & 2. As for 3 &4 well it depends on your age group and your attitude to technology: fine if you use apps and online booking, but a lot don't. With the old paper voucher you just give it to someone or meet them there, no queing, actually easier for many people. I'm completely ok with tech which is fine if it makes life easier but it often doesn't.  Cash or card? I use both and it should be a matter of choice, and not state imposed enforcement to dump cash before all today's older generation have passed on.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:53 am

I think the points total for a Victory in the CC should be reduced to 10 to 12 points. It definitely de values the individual Batting & Bowling points obtained in the first innings of matches.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:25 pm

Badges wrote:Warwickshire win the toss AND PUT SURREY IN TO BAT.............................

Only once this season has the team winning the toss in a CC fixture at the Oval this season chosen to bat. Hampshire did. They lost.

VicNorth

dougieginn, Cee Gee and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:51 pm

They did that because they put us in last year and got thrashed as did a couple of others who put us in.
We do seem to have found the ability to chase totals-501 for example.

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next