Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Northants

+23
Ray AFCW
Coatesy
guildfordbat
Benmug
Andy1210
gjones31
kjb
Keith Powell
Badges
Cee Gee
Ali888
Erniep7070
Alex!
Jedrich
RB
MatthewC
Jhe10077
adelaide
Chinaman
Pink Panther
VicNorth
Jackers
dougieginn
27 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Surrey vs Northants - Page 8 Empty Re: Surrey vs Northants

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:02 pm

I believe 5 points from anywhere will do it.

I'm off to the pub now, Evening Major

Alex!

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:03 pm

VicNorth wrote:5 points needed?

Yes that's right. We got out of jail thanks to Hampshire, the weather and good solid batting by Burns and Sibley.

Should seal this by Wednesday I reckon

Last edited by Chinaman on Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:09 pm

Also a team declaring twice and losing is very, very funny

Alex!

Jason, MatthewC and Angus French like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:41 pm

Who would have thought at 10-30 this morning that at 6pm this evening Surrey would need 5 points to win the title for the 2nd season running unbelievable 😀👍🏏

Keith Powell

dougieginn, Jason and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray AFCW Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:44 pm

Ray AFCW

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:47 pm

Brilliant from Vince and Dawson. Bet those Essex wideboy members are crying into their jellied eels!!! If Harmer dont get the conditions in his favour he aint that good. Bottled it when it really mattered.

Steve

Jason, Chinaman and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:02 pm

Don’t think any Division One team have collected the maximum 24 points from a match this season.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Well I really didn't see that coming. Burns and Sibley rode their luck a bit early on but then played superbly. And Hampshire winning was the icing on the cake !

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:59 pm

Would’ve been interesting if we had actually gone past the follow on this morning.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:35 pm

I overestimated Surrey's ability to save the follow-on, and underestimated the weather, but I still think there was value for Northants in dangling a carrot.

Of course, if Surrey had batted well they would be champions now.

It can wait.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:42 pm

A great day,well done Hampshire! And thanks as always to all our resident weather experts................. Mad

Badges

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:49 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Don’t think any Division One team have collected the maximum  24 points from a match this season.

Is that true? If so, system needs re-adjusting.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:54 pm

Hindsight is everything but maybe Northants should’ve batted again resting their Bowlers for a little bit and going at Surrey after Lunch.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:55 pm

* After next week.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:12 pm

If Surrey and Essex end up on the same points, then Essex will win the title due to gaining more points than us in the head to head game.
The title is far,far from won.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:17 pm

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:If Surrey and Essex end up on the same points, then Essex will win the title due to gaining more points than us in the head to head game.

No we are 20 points in front of Essex. We need 5 points to win the title. Baring a absolute disaster we're almost there. Essex could actually end up 3rd looking at the table, Warwicks hot on their heals.

Oh the Essex faithful must be in a dreadful state tonight.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:36 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Hindsight is everything but maybe  Northants should’ve batted again resting  their Bowlers for a little bit and going at Surrey after Lunch.

I think setting a target would have been the key factor if they'd batted again - rather than the rest.
But they'd have lost overs, obviously.

We'd have probably got the same outcome.

I thought Kerrigan ought to have been playing for them. (A variation on a popular discussion?)

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:03 pm

gjones31 wrote:
Alex! wrote:Apparently Smith and Jacks will be available from Day 2 for the next game? Fantastic news if true

Would be a bit of a farce if the whole ODI squad were suddenly available to play for their counties on Day 2.
I dare say it will only be players whose teams still have something to play for, so Crawley for Kent and anyone involved in the chase for the second promotion spot, but it is a farce. Given how many of our players are unavailable (with no Essex players missing) I'll take it of course, but why are these 3 Ireland games spread out over 7 days? If they'd been scheduled for Wednesday/Friday/Sunday, all the players would have comfortably been back at their counties for the start of the final round.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

dougieginn, RB and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Don’t think any Division One team have collected the maximum  24 points from a match this season.
3 Division 1 teams have collected 24 points in a match this season - Warwickshire vs Kent in April, Kent vs Northamptonshire in June and ..... Essex vs Warwickshire also in June. It ain't over yet ....

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:43 pm

I would be very surprised if Essex scored 450 off 110 overs against the bowling attack that faced us in this match. White, Sanderson and Taylor are a Division 1 seam attack. It is their batting which is Division 2 standard.
Jackers
Jackers

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:31 am

Chinaman wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:If Surrey and Essex end up on the same points, then Essex will win the title due to gaining more points than us in the head to head game.

No we are 20 points in front of Essex. We need 5 points to win the title. Baring a absolute disaster we're almost there. Essex could actually end up 3rd looking at the table, Warwicks hot on their heals.

Excuse me, there is no “no” about my post. Fact is if we lose and Essex win against relegated Northamptonshire with maximum points we could uk easily end up level if we don’t get maximum bowling and two batting points.(Which is a 1st innings score of at least 300.), the Essex will win the title.

This is nothing like as easy or indeed unlikely as we would want it to be.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by Pink Panther Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:22 am

Jackers wrote:I would be very surprised if Essex scored 450 off 110 overs against the bowling attack that faced us in this match. White, Sanderson and Taylor are a Division 1 seam attack. It is their batting which is Division 2 standard.
Those three bowlers all played in the aforementioned match at Northampton, in which Kent collected maximum points to win by an innings after scoring

Gloucestershire suddenly began winning games last year when they were doomed, so hopefully the same will happen with Northamptonshire. It's also not exactly a confidence boost for Essex that they lost today after knocking over the first 4 wickets for next to nothing. They must be kicking themselves at missing the opportunity to close the gap to just 4 points.
Pink Panther
Pink Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:37 am

Sorry my information was wrong I had read Durham was the only team to score 450 in 110 overs Apologies.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:46 am

[quote="Sir Winston Churchill"]
Chinaman wrote:

Excuse me, there is no “no” about my post. Fact is if we lose and Essex win against relegated Northamptonshire with maximum points we could uk easily end up level if we don’t get maximum bowling and two batting points.(Which is a 1st innings score of at least 300.), the Essex will win the title.

[/quote

So you think we won't get any points next week? Not a chance. And only 3 sides this season has got a maximum 24 points. Essex are more likely to end up in 3rd place.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:26 am

Chinaman wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:
Chinaman wrote:

[/quote

So you think we won't get any points next week? Not a chance. And only 3 sides  this season has got a maximum 24 points. Essex are more likely to end up in 3rd place.

Essex are 20 points ahead of Hants in 3rd and 23 ahead of Warwickshire in 4th - yet you think it’s more likely one of those overtakes Essex into 3rd and ‘not a chance’ Essex make up 20 points to catch us? Make it make sense.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next