Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Northants

+23
Ray AFCW
Coatesy
guildfordbat
Benmug
Andy1210
gjones31
kjb
Keith Powell
Badges
Cee Gee
Ali888
Erniep7070
Alex!
Jedrich
RB
MatthewC
Jhe10077
adelaide
Chinaman
Pink Panther
VicNorth
Jackers
dougieginn
27 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Surrey vs Northants - Page 9 Empty Re: Surrey vs Northants

Post by Wedmore Wanderer Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:24 am

5 more points . Hants will be out to spoil our party .

Wedmore Wanderer

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:04 am

Sir Winston Churchill wrote:If Surrey and Essex end up on the same points, then Essex will win the title due to gaining more points than us in the head to head game.
The title is far,far from won.

Watch out for flying pigs Mate.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:07 am

Badges

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:58 am

"Not a chance" refers to us getting no points. Even if Essex get 20 points against Northampton we still need only 5. I know cricket can be very unpredictable, but if we lose from here I'd seriously think about supporting Leicester next year!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:20 pm

Chinaman wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:
Chinaman wrote:
Sir Winston Churchill wrote:If Surrey and Essex end up on the same points, then Essex will win the title due to gaining more points than us in the head to head game.
The title is far,far from won.

No we are 20 points in front of Essex. We need 5 points to win the title. Baring a absolute disaster we're almost there. Essex could actually end up 3rd looking at the table, Warwicks hot on their heals.

Oh the Essex faithful must be in a dreadful state tonight.

Excuse me, there is no “no” about my post. Fact is if we lose and Essex win against relegated Northamptonshire with maximum points we could uk easily end up level if we don’t get maximum bowling and two batting points.(Which is a 1st innings score of at least 300.), the Essex will win the title.

This is nothing like as easy or indeed unlikely as we would want it to be.
[/quote

So you think we won't get any points next week? Not a chance. And only 3 sides  this season has got a maximum 24 points. Essex are more likely to end up in 3rd place.

Of course we will get bonus points, but we need FIVE bonus points. We
Ought to get the three bowling points then need 2 batting points to beat Essex if they get maximum points. My concern is we need 300 runs to get two bonus points. In my view there is nothing certain about scoring 300 against a decent team.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:22 pm

The odds are Essex will not get full batting bonus points, but they know they need every point to maximise their chances of the Championship so they might. They will likely to get 3 bowling points and win so we have to plan to get 5 points any way we can.

Hopefully Rory has located his lost form, but he and Sibley must keep the scoreboard ticking against Hants. We cannot afford to restrict our batting bonus points by very slow scoring. If Smith and Jacks are able to come in on day 2 (presumably for Patel and Steel) this might encourage us to bowl first so the returnees as better batters are more likely to get two innings. Bowling first would also define how may batting bonus points we need so we would know the target.

The commentators on YouTube suggested the Sky cameras were likely to be at the game.

offdrive4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:49 pm

Sorry, have I got this right...is it being suggesting our players can be thrown in half way through the game to replace those who have started it?

However much I hate the fact that T20 friendlies against Ireland take precedence where our players' availability is concerned, cricket does not lend itself to bringing on tactical subs once the game has started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we don't take advantage of this if we are being allowed to. But two clear wrongs certainly do not make a right, they compound and highlight the muddled thinking at the top.of our game.

Last edited by Jackers on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

Jhe10077 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:53 pm

Couldn't someone tell Sky to f*** off?

VicNorth

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Northants - Page 9 Empty Definitely not in favour of Replacing already selected players.

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:29 am

offdrive4 wrote:The odds are Essex will not get full batting bonus points, but they know they need every point to maximise their chances of the Championship so they  might.  They will likely to get 3 bowling points and win so we have to plan to get 5 points any way we can.

Hopefully Rory has located his lost form, but he and Sibley must keep the scoreboard ticking against Hants.   We cannot afford to restrict our batting bonus points by very slow scoring.   If Smith and Jacks are able to come in on day 2 (presumably for Patel and Steel) this might encourage us to bowl first so the returnees as better batters are more likely to get two innings.  Bowling first would also define how may batting bonus points we need so we would know the target.

The commentators on YouTube suggested the Sky cameras were likely to be at the game.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:35 am

Hopefully the weather shouldn’t affect the Results of both matches.Got to stick with the Eleven selected to start the match.

Jhe10077

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:18 pm

Jackers wrote:Sorry, have I got this right...is it being  suggesting our players can be thrown in half way through the game to replace those who have started it?

However much I hate the fact that T20 friendlies against Ireland take precedence where our players' availability is concerned, cricket does not lend itself to bringing on tactical subs once the game has started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we don't take advantage of this if we are being allowed to. But two clear wrongs certainly do not make a right, they compound and highlight the muddled thinking at the top.of our game.

Yes you can, it's explicitly mentioned in the playing conditions you can insert players released by England as full substitutes.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:30 pm

RB wrote:
Jackers wrote:Sorry, have I got this right...is it being  suggesting our players can be thrown in half way through the game to replace those who have started it?

Yes you can, it's explicitly mentioned in the playing conditions you can insert players released by England as full substitutes.

Thanks for clarifying. Is there anything left that the ECB can't do to make the championship more ridiculous?
Jackers
Jackers

Badges and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:16 pm

Jackers wrote:
RB wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. Is there anything left that the ECB can't do to make the championship more ridiculous?

I’m sure they’ll think of something.

Ali888

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Neo-liberalism brought us here. But you mustn't talk about it.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:51 pm

I won't talk about it as i have no idea what it is.

Badges

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Jackers wrote:
RB wrote:

Short memory, Jackers - we did it in 2018 when Ollie Pope was left out against India at The Rose Bowl.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:39 pm

Badges wrote:I won't talk about it as i have no idea what it is.

Think pumping sewage into the sea to maximize profit.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:13 pm

I'd rather not.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:17 pm

Joining the game late has been going on for years but that doesn't make it right.I think it's ridiculous.From memory,Boyd Rankin joined the party on day 3 at Guildford about 10 years ago and took a load of wickets.He replaced Tom Milnes.Surrey had swapped Lewis and Dernbach,can't remember which way round,on the first day.

Badges

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:25 pm

I agree. By its very nature cricket does not lend itself to in-game tactical substitutions in the way that other sports like rugby and football do (although for me allowing as many as five tactical subs in a Premier League game as they now do is too many, as it becomes more of a squad than the team game it was designed to be and favours those with deepest pockets who can stack their bench with superstars).  

I do think professional cricket should go further in allowing in-game substitutions for serious injuries sustained within the game, for example Australia should have been able to replace Nathan Lyon with Todd Murphy once he was injured at Lord's. Even the less well-off counties can usually muster squads of 14/15 players. Obviously you are not always going to have an off-spinner among the subs, but the requirement should be a reasonable like-for-like injury replacement (batsman, bowler, all-rounder, wicket-keeper). The injury should be serious enough that neither captain could seriously question whether the substituted player is indeed injured (eg the Lyons example) rather than used for 'borderline' cases. To deter abuse of the "injury sub" provision, any player who is subbed in-game through injury should not be eligible to play in the next championship match, even if there is a gap of several weeks until then.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:04 pm

Jackers wrote:I agree. By its very nature cricket does not lend itself to in-game tactical substitutions in the way that other sports like rugby and football do (although for me allowing as many as five tactical subs in a Premier League game as they now do is too many, as it becomes more of a squad than the team game it was designed to be and favours those with deepest pockets who can stack their bench with superstars).  

I do think professional cricket should go further in allowing in-game substitutions for serious injuries sustained within the game, for example Australia should have been able to replace Nathan Lyon with Todd Murphy once he was injured at Lord's. Even the less well-off counties can usually muster squads of 14/15 players. Obviously you are not always going to have an off-spinner among the subs, but the requirement should be a reasonable like-for-like injury replacement (batsman, bowler, all-rounder, wicket-keeper). The injury should be serious enough that neither captain could seriously question whether the substituted player is indeed injured (eg the Lyons example) rather than used for 'borderline' cases. To deter abuse of the "injury sub" provision, any player who is subbed in-game through injury should not be eligible to play in the next championship match, even if there is a gap of several weeks until then.

I agree with all of the above, inc the 5 subs in the PL that is now in use

as for tomorrow, both Smith and Jacks are included in the squad and can be used as long as the can participate in 2 full days of the game

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9