Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England (Internationals)

+25
offdrive4
VicNorth
adelaide
Coatesy
Sir Winston Churchill
Badges
Chinaman
kjb
dougieginn
Jhe10077
Alex!
Peter.M.Gardens
RB
Wedmore Wanderer
KeninWestWickham
Andy1210
Steve
SimonH
MatthewC
Jedrich
Jackers
Ali888
Keith Powell
guildfordbat
Pink Panther
29 posters

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

England (Internationals) - Page 16 Empty Re: England (Internationals)

Post by VicNorth Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:23 pm

The sort of job he has done for Surrey on many occasions.

VicNorth

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:18 am

Over to the third Umpire...............

You could get a double decker bus through the gap but let's call for ultra edge just to make sure.

TV is killing Cricket (and football of course)

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:31 am

Have you heard they are experimenting with putting a computer chip in the ball?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:29 pm

Badges wrote:Over to the third Umpire...............

You could get a double decker bus through the gap but let's call for ultra edge just to make sure.

TV is killing Cricket (and football of course)

In fairness the hawkeye wasn't ready so I think he was just trying to fill time.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:07 pm

It's happening all the time.They always call for ultra edge,why bother when we can all see it's clearly missing the bat.

Last edited by Badges on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:46 pm

13 days now between end of 4th Test and start of 5th Test, they really are extending this tour way beyond it needs to be. I'm sure there is some logic involved.

Considering money rules most decisions, it can't be a money saving excercise extending the tour, considering we travel back and forth between Abu Dhabi, our training base camp... and India arent benefiting our teams tour if we seem to be spending as little time possible as we can in India outside of the Test matches.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:20 am

If you can take a photo of Brendon McCullum not leaning back with his feet up do you win a prize?

Badges

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 am

Badges wrote:If you can take a photo of Brendon McCullum not leaning back with his feet up do you win a prize?

He looks a right slouch doesn't he. But I do wish England players would at least try and exercise their tiny brains - we squandered a 50 run lead in an awful collapse. I know it's not easy to win in India but these are not flat tracks where you can slog/ bazeball your way out of it. This relatively inexperienced Indian side showed perfectly how you adapt according to the circumstances. Perhaps with Mr
Bazeball himself (YJB) on the verge of being dropped, that's the end of it, but I doubt it.

Chinaman

dougieginn and Badges like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:50 pm

At least Root,Foakes and Robinson played properly in the first innings but i'm afraid i'm losing all interest in England.If DRS ever comes into County Cricket that will be my lot.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Vauxhall Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:08 pm

DRS is a decent idea but like with VAR they’ve expanded it too much, as was always going to happen.

It started at 2 reviews each. Now it’s 3 and you keep your review if it’s umpires call. Which basically means any batsmen who is out LBW gets a review.

Vauxhall

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Winston Churchill Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:13 pm

The umpires call has to be dispensed with. It’s ludicrous that the umps initial call can be the difference between being out or not, it’s bonkers. It’s so simple if it’s out it’s out, sod what the original thought was, it’s irrelevant.
Sir Winston Churchill
Sir Winston Churchill

Badges and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:59 am

I suppose the logic behind umpire's call is that the DRS call on whether or not the ball is going to hit the stumps is a prediction based on very little data as it is usually based on the trajectory of the ball after it has pitched, which is often not far in advance of the pad (or bat). There isn't the same uncertainty in DRS about where the ball pitched or whether bat was involved because that actually happened, hence no umpire's call on those elements. Similarly for other forms of dismissal you are looking at video evidence of what actually happened, though admittedly even the video evidence can be hard to interpret in a few cases.

Now for the next bit remember I'm a statistician and quite used to the idea that estimates, predictions, forecasts and so on should have margins of error quoted (as in 35% say they will vote Labour, plus or minus 2%). So to me it makes sense to say "this is DRS's prediction but the umpire's original call was within the accepted margins of error for such a prediction, so umpire's call should stand". The same argument can be applied for not losing a review if it is umpire's call; the player's belief that the original call was wrong is also within the accepted margins of error.

It is arguable whether that extra complexity is worth the candle or whether we should keep it simple and abolish umpire's call, but that's the logic as I see it.

To pick up one other point, a team will not retain its review for a rejected lbw referral unless it is umpire's call. So it is not worth a batsman who is plumb lbw referring. You do see it happening at the tail end of an innings when there are unused reviews but it is unusual up the order.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:54 am

Badges wrote:At least Root,Foakes and Robinson played properly in the first innings but i'm afraid i'm losing all interest in England.If DRS ever comes into County Cricket that will be my lot.

There was rumoured to be a phone app coming for use in club cricket. Can you imagine that?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am

Wow. It's complicated. I think you either embrace the technology or you don't use it at all. If you use it, do you actually need an umpire? If you don't use it at all you'll probably get more umpiring errors than you do with the technology. But, and it's an opinion, if you accept human error I think the game has 1) lost some of its character, 2) the use of technology has created probably just as much controversy over certain "decisions" as a bad umpires call, and 3) they fluff about sometimes for 5 minutes with the DRS which wasting more time and you don't get overs bowled in the day. I've always thought that technology is great if it makes life easier, but it often doesn't I'm afraid. In which case don't use it?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:59 am

An LBW decision is a prediction however much technology you use.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:13 pm

VicNorth wrote:An LBW decision is a prediction however much technology you use.

I agree the tech is not perfect, and I've never been convinced it can totally predict if a ball is going to hit the stumps, because some things like wind speed, bounce and turn especially if it's a bunsen, are probably better assessed by human decision i.e. the umpire. The thing is I don't think you can use both tech and umpire at the same time.

Chinaman

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:50 pm

I don't think they are better assessed by umpires. DRS has access to data on actual position and motion of the ball prior to impact.
Umpires have to make an assessment by eye from very just one impression (or sometimes none if, being human, their brain is in doze mode). One of the things that has resulted from DRS is that umpires are much less reluctant to give batsmen out on the front foot against spinners because they have seen from DRS evidence how often they were getting it wrong. Titmus and Pocock would have been salivating!

Whether or not DRS does it better, as Vic says it will always be a prediction and umpire's call therefore allows wiggle room on whether the ball is hitting the stumps - and on nothing else.

What I am less keen on is the so-called soft signal for other forms of dismissal (ignoring clean bowled, unless the batsman is Kohli). Is that still in place? It's a bit like in rugby union where the question the referee asks the TMO to look at is crucial, as we saw when Scotland were not awarded a match-winning try against France.

At least nobody has said that DRS or umpire's call is woke. Yet...

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:13 am

Chinaman wrote:Wow. It's complicated. I think you either embrace the technology or you don't use it at all. If you use it, do you actually need an umpire? If you don't use it at all you'll probably get more umpiring errors than you do with the technology. But, and it's an opinion, if you accept human error I think the game has 1) lost some of its character, 2) the use of technology has created probably just as much controversy over certain "decisions" as a bad umpires call, and 3) they fluff about sometimes for 5 minutes with the DRS which wasting more time and you don't get overs bowled in the day. I've always thought that technology is great if it makes life easier, but it often doesn't I'm afraid. In which case don't use it?

sounds very similar to VAR in football. Goal line technology works, as its a 'yes or no' answer. VAR is subjective, so doesnt work and ruins the excitement of goals etc

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:01 pm

In football much more is subjective, with or without VAR. Is a player's hand in a "natural" position? Offside position should be objective with VAR but were they interfering when in an offside position? Is a tackle a foul? If so - yellow or red, or no card at all? Rugby union is also highly subjective - different refs take a different approach to offside, the breakdown and the random penalty generator known as the scrum. If anything I would think that VAR reduced the subjective element to a degree; I can't see how it can increase it.

I suppose cricket differs from both those sports in that there is a clearly identifiable "play" (like in NFL) - the individual ball. In football you sometimes get two or three minutes' play without any break at all. That lack of compartmentalisation makes it harder to referee, I think, though they do try and break it down into phases when considering how far to go back for anything but violent conduct.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:36 pm

Nottingham Forest FC now employ a 'Referee Analyst'!

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:49 pm

VicNorth wrote:Nottingham Forest FC now employ a 'Referee Analyst'!

The next step will be an analyst analyst.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:00 pm

They are already talking of a DRS 'observer'.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:01 pm

* Not a third umpire; someone to observe the process.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

England (Internationals) - Page 16 Empty Forest also Require a Financial Advisor

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:46 am

VicNorth wrote:Nottingham Forest FC now employ a 'Referee Analyst'!

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:54 am

This is complicated mess that few spectators understand, plus umpires, referees, the players and Uncle Tom Cobly and all. I repeat technology is great if it works and makes life easier, but if it doesn't like it seems here, dump it. It's spoiling the unpredictabilty of the game by virtually removing the human element.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next