Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship

+21
DRJardine
VauxhallRey
Alex!
John Hamilton
Jedrich
Pink Panther
Keith Powell
Ray AFCW
kjb
RB
dougieginn
Admin
optimistnot
guildfordbat
adelaide
Sir Winston Churchill
Jackers
Slipstream
Steve
Coatesy
Steely Dander
25 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship Empty Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:03 am

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship 10_mat10

We play them on the back of a win by an innings, and they face us on the back of an innings defeat (v Durham)
Notts look a good bet to go down alongside Kent on current form. Got an absolute drubbing against Durham + Olly Stone likely to be missing this week with England after Mark Woods injury.

Presumably we'll pick same side that beat Lancashire?

Rory Burns (Captain)
Dom Sibley
Ryan Patel
Ben Foakes (Wicket Keeper)
Sai Sudharsan
Will Jacks
Sam Curran
Jordan Clark
Conor McKerr
Tom Lawes
Dan Worrall

McKerr got 6 wickets v Lancs, you'd be pretty heartless to drop him for Overton (if he's fit to bowl) or Steel if we think there may be spin.

Hopefully both Curran and Jacks are still available for selection?

Other matches:

Somerset v Durham
Warwicks v Kent
Essex v Warwicks
Lancs v Hampshire

England v Sri Lanka (Lawrence, Pope, Smith, Atkinson selected)
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

dougieginn and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship Empty Re: Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship

Post by Steely Dander Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:22 pm

Trent Bridge is not very spinner friendly so poor old Steel may be overlooked again.

But he's bound to be needed  however at Taunton so I would pick him anyway in place of Lawes just to give him some match practice.

Anyone know the current status of Abbott and Roach?

Steely Dander

Back to top Go down

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship Empty Re: Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship

Post by Alex! Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:29 pm

Virdi to Worcestershire for the rest of the season. Shame he inevitably won’t play

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:18 pm

having watched an amazing turnaround in a football match yesterday, I am not taking anything for granted, yet, with us winning the league, although a win at Notts will go some way to achieving that.

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Roach has put pictures up of him in London on his instagram so he will play at Trent Bridge probably in place of Lawes.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:39 pm

Steely Dander wrote:Trent Bridge is not very spinner friendly so poor old Steel may be overlooked again.

But he's bound to be needed  however at Taunton so I would pick him anyway in place of Lawes just to give him some match practice.

Anyone know the current status of Abbott and Roach?
Remember the game at Trent Bridge around 6 years ago on a spinners paradise didn’t Virdi outbowl Ashwin and we won comfortably.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Slipstream Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:52 am

Steve wrote:Roach has put pictures up of him in London on his instagram so he will play at Trent Bridge probably in place of Lawes.

I hope it is not Lawes missing out even though his figures were not good against Lancs. My favourite Surrey player. Just needs a run of games.

Slipstream

KeninWestWickham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:45 am

I think Lawes confidence has taken a hit in the Hunded he got collared a few times.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:09 am

Tom.played just one game in the Hundred and bowled a grand total of.5 balls for 22 runs.

He was clearly rusty last week. I think he will be better for the overs under his belt. The problem is the Kookaburra ball which tends to be generally unhelpful to Tom's style of bowling and might suit Steel better.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:47 am

On another note, we've apparently signed...Shakib Al Hassan for one game against Somerset

https://x.com/saifahmed75/status/1828423699013476580

Sorry but we shouldn't be anywhere near him - absolutely appalling bloke who is merely trying to escape his own problems in Bangladesh

Alex!

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:13 am

Jackers wrote:Tom.played just one game in the Hundred and bowled a grand total of.5 balls for 22 runs.

He was clearly rusty last week. I think he will be better for the overs under his belt. The problem is the Kookaburra ball which tends to be generally unhelpful to Tom's style of bowling and might suit Steel better.
My mistake it’s was the T20 Blast with Surrey when he got plenty of Tap.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:16 am

Alex! wrote:On another note, we've apparently signed...Shakib Al Hassan for one game against Somerset

Sorry but we shouldn't be anywhere near him - absolutely appalling bloke who is merely trying to escape his own problems in Bangladesh

If we beat Notts then we've all but won the County Championship, so i'd hope we'd use our own players and not make these silly short term loans, use our squad for the last 3 games. Players like Cam Steel and Ryan Patel deserve to be on the pitch when its official that we are the county champions, not some guy who feels like spending a week in London all expenses paid.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Jhe10077 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:25 am

Alex! wrote:On another note, we've apparently signed...Shakib Al Hassan for one game against Somerset

Do we really need to sign players for one match deals what message do that send to squad players.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:09 am

Jhe10077 wrote:
Jackers wrote:Tom.played just one game in the Hundred and bowled a grand total of.5 balls for 22 runs.

My mistake it’s was the  T20 Blast with Surrey when he got plenty of Tap.
Also Tom’s Batting hasn’t progressed although he doesn’t get much opportunity to build a innings of any length when comes to the wicket.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:42 am

Jhe10077 wrote:

Do we really need to  sign players for one match deals what message do that send to squad players.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Isn't it time there was a limit on the number of overseas players you can play in a competition in one season? Or that any contract has to be for a minimum of X matches?

I get that central contracts and franchises have made cricket look quite different to the 1970s, also that you can get unlucky with an injury or the overseas board pulling them, but you could craft exceptions for that. Or simply say - tough, any top player can get injured, just get on with it.

Presumably this ridiculous one day signing (if it is confrimed) is to insulate against Taunton being a bunsen but those days have gone, surely (given how close to the wind they were sailing) - why else has Bashir been out on loan?

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:20 am

I had a look at the guy's Wikipedia entry to see what the fuss was about. Blimey! His disciplinary record reads longer than one of Adelaide's posts on the ABC thread. And that's before an alleged murder charge goes in the mix.

Stewie has previously said, ''We don't just want good cricketers but good people.'' Trust he knows what he's up to here if the story has substance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:38 am

The Al Hasan signing is a difficult one.

I am the first to defend Surrey's policy of signing the best available players for any given match. I really don't especially care whether they are angels or not; we've had our share of challenging players over the years. Having said that, I'm not sure we've ever selected anyone with a murder charge hanging over them....(still, innocent until proved guilty and all that).

I do sense that by pre-announcing that Al Hasan is going to be playing at Taunton were are sending an early warning to them: prepare a 'bunsen' at your own risk.

On balance, though, I do agree that if (big if) we beat Notts and neither Essex nor Somerset win their games we should go with what we have on the basis that we will be all but champions. But if that doesn't happen, I am never going to criticise Alec's single-minded professional judgement. I would expect nothing less from him.
Jackers
Jackers

VauxhallRey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:59 am

I'm reminded of the comment that football supporters wouldn't care if their club was owned by Al Quaeda, as long as they delivered the league.

On the charge, innocent until proven guilty, I suppose, though Mason Greenwood (not that I am defending him) might have some comments on how that panned out for him.

You won't find posts of any length from me on the ABC thread any more. Some of the posts on there just got too vile for me to want to engage with any more - just my view as the mods are presumably OK with them. Not your posts, Jackers, they were always civil.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Jackers wrote:The Al Hasan signing is a difficult one.

I am the first to defend Surrey's policy of signing the best available players for any given match. I really don't especially care whether they are angels or not; we've had our share of challenging players over the years. Having said that, I'm not sure we've ever selected anyone with a murder charge hanging over them....(still, innocent until proved guilty and all that).

I do sense that by pre-announcing that Al Hasan is going to be playing at Taunton were are sending an early warning to them: prepare a 'bunsen' at your own risk.

On balance, though, I do agree that if (big if) we beat Notts and neither Essex nor Somerset win their games we should go with what we have on the basis that we will be all but champions. But if that doesn't happen, I am never going to criticise Alec's single-minded professional judgement. I would expect nothing less from him.
Virdi must be finished at Surrey.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship Kemar10
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:15 pm

On an overseas note, delighted that Kemar is back - if it isn't broken then don't fix it. Experience crucial in this final run-in.

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:20 pm

Jackers wrote:

Another Mankad at Taunton, anyone?  I was there for the previous one.  Was quite spicy.
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:51 pm

I was there too. The buggers didn't let it go for about 8 years! They treated Gareth Batty as if he were Douglas Jardine!
Jackers
Jackers

DRJardine and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VauxhallRey Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Cricketer reporting that we have Sai for the rest of the season and all.  Are we able to have 3 overseas on the books at once or does this scotch the Shakib rumour?

Notts v Surrey (29th August+) Match 11 County Championship Sai10
VauxhallRey
VauxhallRey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:20 pm

I believe we are able to have three overseas registered at any one time, but can only play two.

Leaving aside the ethical argument, it does make sense to have a proper spinner at Taunton when we are using a Kookaburra ball. Steel will probably play too, and so will Jacks if available.

Roach might rest that one. He is now 36 and four games in as many weeks might be considered a little much. They will probably think he will be more suited to  the Dukes ball for the last two v Durham and at Chelmsford.
Jackers
Jackers

VauxhallRey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next