Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwickshire the Oval

+16
Pink Panther
RightArmSlow
Jedrich
Alex!
Coatesy
Benmug
RB
Admin
Keith Powell
offdrive4
dougieginn
Jackers
Badges
Chinaman
kjb
Steve
20 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Warwickshire the Oval - Page 7 Empty Re: Warwickshire the Oval

Post by RB Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:29 pm

You forget England’s ridiculous winter tour begins with 7 (yes, SEVEN) T20 games in Pakistan, which I believe are 5 from this year and 2 rearranged from last year. The first one there is 15 September, apparently. That rules out Topley.

RB

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidren Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 pm

Jackers wrote:It's great to have the luxury of debating which of our squad of at least 15 viable options (I include the two spinners) we should field in the last two games. We can only assume that they will be (a) fit and (b) free from the tentacles of the ECB parasites.

For the penultimate game against Yorkshire, I would go something like: Burns, Patel, Amla, Pope, Foakes, S Curran, Jacks, Clark, Overton, Roach, Worrall

For the final game at Old Trafford, the selection should be influenced by whether we have got ourselves into a position where a draw would guarantee the title. If so, then I'd include Smith for either Clark or Overton. If (perish the thought) we are behind Hampshire at that stage, then we need to prioritise our most potent bowling attack, and I'd probably pick the potentially more lethal Topley ahead of the steadier Clark.

I think this is a fair summary of the bowling situation. Worrall and Roach, as the best bowlers in the squad, must play. That leaves two (or maybe three, depending on all-rounders) slots for everyone else. Clark has excelled this season, in my view, and far outstripped my expectations. Topley is probably the more proficient wicket-taker (and a left-armer). But then Overton…

Gidren

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:11 pm

No place for Atkinson,Lawes or Tom Curran (if fit)?

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidren Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:35 pm

I think the first two have bowled very well this season but are probably not (yet) members of our first-choice attack. As for TC, when did he last bowl a red ball? It feels like his career is being squandered on white ball comps and international drinks-carrying.

Gidren

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:37 pm

Atkinson and Lawes have both done well when they have had the opportunity. Lawes can be especially pleased with his contribution which suggests he has a big future. But for potentially vital games at the end of this season, I wouldn't pick them ahead of Worrall, Roach, Clark or Topley. It shows what a strong squad we have, when everyone is fit and available.

Tom Curran - 76 wickets in the 2015 season aged 20 - could have been our spearhead, had he not unwisely put all his eggs in the white ball basket. As Ian Dury said: "what a waste". The fact that he has not bowled a ball in any format for months means he should not be in consideration for the run-in.
Jackers
Jackers

Robertoflondon and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:09 pm

While the club said that Evans was on a white ball contract there has to my knowledge been no such statement regarding Roy, Jordan and T Curran.   I noticed that Roy suddenly became available when the T20 started, having rested for the early championship games.   Jordan has not been seen in our red ball team even when not on international duty and some other seamers are unavailable.   Curran played, strangely, as a batter in a couple of our T20 games, then disappeared.  I shall be cross if he is suddenly available to play, and bowl, in the horrid hundred.

It does seem rather unlikely that we will see Roy, Jordan and Curran in our championship team again which is sad as they all have something to offer.

offdrive4

dougieginn and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:19 pm

Topley will be with England. About 100 T20s start early October culminating in the World Cup at the end of the month. Same goes probably for both Currans and therefore Lawes is a must. Mr Golden Arm. Can't leave him out. We don't need Roy who I doubt will play any more red ball. Worral, Overton, Lawes, Clark, Roach my bowlers. Doubt we'll see spin with the possible exception of Old Trafford. Northants will be a flat probable draw pitch almost certainly. They will want max draw points.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:29 pm

offdrive4 wrote:While the club said that Evans was on a white ball contract there has to my knowledge been no such statement regarding Roy, Jordan and T Curran.   I noticed that Roy suddenly became available when the T20 started, having rested for the early championship games.   Jordan has not been seen in our red ball team even when not on international duty and some other seamers are unavailable.   Curran played, strangely, as a batter in a couple of our T20 games, then disappeared.  I shall be cross if he is suddenly available to play, and bowl, in the horrid hundred.

It does seem rather unlikely that we will see Roy, Jordan and Curran in our championship team again which is sad as they all have something to offer.

Remember that Roy was banned by the ECB for an undisclosed reason in the start of the season. Besides, how does he get in over Smith, Geddes, etc as back-up options to the first-choice top 5/6?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:52 pm

I would be loathe to discard Tom Curran if can regain fitness, he has nearly 200 fc wickets at an average just under 30 and he is only 27, could well have his best years ahead.Agree about Roy and Jordan ,the latter was originally destined to play white ball cricket anyway and Roy may well end up doing the same.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:47 am

You can all ask the question regarding the contract status of Roy, Jordan and Tom Curran at the members forum during the lunchbreak next Sunday.

In the case of Tom Curran, as he has both been eclipsed by his younger brother and, like Jade Dernbach, been found out at International white ball level with batsmen becoming used to his slower balls and back of the hand deliveries. It might be opportune  for Tom to re-invent himself at first class level for as his international appearances diminish, so does his earning power in franchise T20 tournaments.

The Red Rooster

Jackers and Pink Panther like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 am

I know its controversial but I wouldn't give them new contracts unless they are available for all forms of cricket and that includes Evans who did very little to deserve a T20 contract only.

Keith Powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:53 am

I have no issue with players like Evans who sign white ball contracts as it provides clarity for everyone. Just because he didn’t have an outstanding blast doesn’t mean he didn’t deserve that contract, he’s an excellent white-ball player and at this stage of his career he’s an average red-ball player. I do object to the likes of CJ and Roy being notionally available for all formats but seem to run a mile whenever there happens to be a championship match they could play in.

Cee Gee

Pink Panther likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7