Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey v Lanccs

+25
Surrey and Sunderland
adelaide
Andy1210
Benmug
John Hamilton
KeninWestWickham
guildfordbat
Erniep7070
Howzat
Alex!
Steve
RB
Cee Gee
Keith Powell
Admin
Jhe10077
Jackers
Badges
dougieginn
VicNorth
Coatesy
kjb
Jedrich
Ali888
offdrive4
29 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Surrey v Lanccs - Page 6 Empty Re: Surrey v Lanccs

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:22 pm

Jackers wrote:Right, I'm just back from my fortnight around Europe, and while I was initially sorry that I would be missing this game I now feel I dodged a bullet.

I can accept that we had an off-day today, and that we were generally below par in the match. I also accept that Lancashire are a very good side (our biggest rivals, along with Essex - certainly both of them are ahead of Warwickshire and Hampshire). But this nonsense of routinely putting the other side in needs to stop now.

Onwards and upwards - a busy July with some vital (and winnable) Championship matches. Rory: if you win the toss, bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If  you have very big doubts, consult your colleagues, and then bat.

Some old fashioned cricket sense there based upon years and years of the game's history.

When Burns put Lancs in on a blisteringly hot and sunny Sunday morning, it was always likely imo to end one of two ways that evening. Both were lose-lose situations for Surrey.

Either Lancs would be 400/5 and looking to go strong again the next day or, if we bowled well, 275 all out an hour or so before stumps. The latter was how it transpired. However, rather than being rewarded for our efforts, that left us facing a 4 man seam attack who knew that they could put everything into it for the remaining 20 overs before having a cold bath, plenty of cold drinks and a night's sleep before bowling again. That's just what they did that evening and pocketed 4 wickets in the process leaving us struggling.

guildfordbat

dougieginn, offdrive4, Erniep7070, KeninWestWickham and Andy1210 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Chinaman wrote:Not really sure why we've signed Latham. He looks well below par. Surely we should play Geddes. Burns is in awful form and probably should drop himself for Patel. Glad I didn't go this morning.

Because Lathams an international quality overseas batter and we thought he’d score more runs. But it’s cricket, sometimes they don’t.

Cee Gee

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:53 pm

Get a grip people.It's our first home defeat since August 2020.

Badges

Cee Gee and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:35 pm

Cee Gee wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Not really sure why we've signed Latham. He looks well below par. Surely we should play Geddes. Burns is in awful form and probably should drop himself for Patel. Glad I didn't go this morning.

Because Lathams an international quality overseas batter and we thought he’d score more runs. But it’s cricket, sometimes they don’t.

I hate these 'drop in' signings.

VicNorth

dougieginn, Badges, Chinaman and David Waghorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:47 pm

We can’t blame Steel and Patel for today can we!

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:40 am

guildfordbat wrote:I commented during the match at Canterbury upon my dislike of the tactical use of a night watchman. Particularly in view of that, it's only fair to say that Williams played the role today pretty much to perfection. His determination and calm approach should be an example to all batsmen, especially our top order.

The only thing anywhere near to a positive for me today was that Lawes showed what I say normally happens whenever a night watchman is used. Wink

guildfordbat

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Surrey and Sunderland Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:49 am

Jhe10077 wrote:We can’t blame Steel and Patel for  today can we!

we can't but Patel should have been playing

Surrey and Sunderland

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:10 am

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:I commented during the match at Canterbury upon my dislike of the tactical use of a night watchman. Particularly in view of that, it's only fair to say that Williams played the role today pretty much to perfection. His determination and calm approach should be an example to all batsmen, especially our top order.

The only thing anywhere near to a positive for me today was that Lawes showed what I say normally happens whenever a night watchman is used. Wink

To be fair, he did as well as anyone else!

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:14 pm

Sibley,playing for Ashtead today,was out STUMPED !!!

Badges

guildfordbat, Cee Gee and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:31 pm

Badges wrote:Sibley,playing for Ashtead today,was out STUMPED !!!

So he HAS still got England ambitions...

adelaide

Jason, Badges and Cee Gee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6