Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset v Surrey

+17
cicero
Ali888
Keith Powell
kjb
adelaide
Alex!
Jedrich
Ray AFCW
offdrive4
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Steve
Chinaman
guildfordbat
RB
Badges
Jackers
21 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Somerset v Surrey Empty Somerset v Surrey

Post by Jackers Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:14 pm

Right, this is our chance to consolidate our lead at the top ahead of the run-in.

One thing I hope we have learned from the last few weeks is that at this time of year batting first is generally the way to go, unless the conditions dictate otherwise. Looking at the forecast for Taunton, it should be a no brainer. Day 1 should be bright with sunny intervals; the following two days cloudy and showery. Get the runs on the board and then let our seam attack loose in favourable conditions, if we win the toss of course.

Selection: the batting picks itself, but we have real competition among the bowlers. Both Atkinson and S Curran (assuming he is available) could slot seamlessly into the side. Worrall and Abbott (his last game) are surely the two certs,  with Overton, Lawes and in my view Jordan Clark candidates for either rest or rotation. This is NOT the same as suggesting any of them deserves to be dropped!

I would go: Burns, Sibley, Latham, Smith, Foakes, Jacks, Sam Curran, Abbott, Overton (purely on venue!), Lawes, Worrall.
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Somerset v Surrey Empty Re: Somerset v Surrey

Post by Badges Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Is it Latham's last game as well?

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Yes.

RB

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:18 pm

Good opening post, Jackers. I just worry that Australia might call up Abbott with several of their bowlers out of sorts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm

You have to have 20 O levels (or whatever they are called now) 5 A levels and a couple of degrees to find your way round the Somerset CCC ticket site.
After wasting half an hour getting nowhere they sent me an email asking if i want to go and see The Wurzels.

Badges

Jason and Steve like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:35 pm

Badges wrote:You have to have 20 O levels (or whatever they are called now) 5 A levels and a couple of degrees to find your way round the Somerset CCC ticket site.
After wasting half an hour getting nowhere they sent me an email asking if i want to go and see The Wurzels.

Ha! Alright if You like the Wurzels.
You can buy a ticket on the gate on the day but you won't get the discounted online rate. If you telephone they'll reserve you one. But you can buy a ticket for the next day at the office at the discounted price if your going for more than one day.

All grounds seem to be different. I don't mind the online technology if it helps you but if it doesn't it's not worth the hastle to save a couple of quid.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:51 pm

Tough game this one. If we can nick a win will be a good result. The Essex boys have a tough one too at the Ageas Bowl so hopefully they will come unstuck.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:19 pm

For me:

Burns, Sibley, Latham, Smith, Foakes, Jacks, S Curran, Overton, Lawes, Abbott, Worrall, with Virdi in for Lawes if it spins (not bloody Steel!).

RB

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:57 pm

There were a lot of overs bowled by spin in the last championship match at Taunton.

My main hope is that Jordan Clark isn’t so tired from the two matches he’s played this month to need a rest or ‘rotated’ as punishment for one loose 9 (NINE) over spell.

It baffles me why we’d replace him in this match for Curran who will be playing the Hundred and England white ball stuff for the rest of the season..

Cee Gee

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:05 am

RB wrote:For me:

Burns, Sibley, Latham, Smith, Foakes, Jacks, S Curran, Overton, Lawes, Abbott, Worrall, with Virdi in for Lawes if it spins (not bloody Steel!).

Why would they play Virdi now? I don't understand that. He, like Moriary, isn't in the mix, like it or not. They will use Jacks and possibly Steel (yes) who also bats, if it looks like turning.

I doubt they'll rest Clark, and Abbott just might be called into the Test squad, both sides which are full of tired aging bowlers.

Last edited by Chinaman on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am

Agree RB ,NOT bloody Steel (32 wickets @ 37.78)

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:51 am

Chinaman wrote:

Why would they play Virdi now? I don't understand that. He, like Moriary, isn't in the mix, like it or not. They will use Jacks and possibly Steel (yes) who also bats, if it looks like turning.

I doubt they'll rest Clark, and Abbott just might be called into the Test squad, both sides which are full of tired aging bowlers.

Moriarty (on loan at Yorks) played in the 501 game, so it is possible they may turn to Virdi.

RB

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:34 pm

S Curran if available is a must given he’s left arm variation. Jacks for spin Somerset mainly reliant on pace this season. Rest one of the Pacemen whoever needs it most.

Jhe10077

Jackers and dougieginn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:41 pm

RB wrote:
Chinaman wrote:

Moriarty (on loan at Yorks) played in the 501 game, so it is possible they may turn to Virdi.

I really hope so!

Badges

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:23 pm

Rain will likely make this match a draw, even so any bonus points could be important.

We have had an excellent season thus far and just need to keep going to win the championship.
I note Roach is playing for the West Indies currently. I hope we might get him for the September games, I do think we have missed his wickets.

offdrive4

Jhe10077 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:21 pm

Abbott pulled out...looks like he is going to be called up for The Oval. Not sure his bowling will be a key factor, but my goodness his batting could be against England's Dad's Army attack on a ground where he has consistently plundered runs down the order.

We will miss him: he has had a pretty stellar season in both championship and T20 for us: probably our Player of The Season so far, though Jamie Smith has enough cricket left to overtake him, and probably will do.

In other news, I see Ben Geddes has gone on loan to Kent. He must have left an impression when he got his maiden century against their band of pie-chuckers last year. I hope he goes well.

Last edited by Jackers on Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jackers
Jackers

Keith Powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:02 pm

I'm outside the ground right now and there are several hundred Somerset fans in the ground watching highlights of their T20 finals win on a big screen at the back of the Marcus Trescothick pavillion.

I kid you not!
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Sean Abbott has been a Fantastic overseas player, never shirked a challenge and was always available in any of the forms of cricket. Must be a Captains Delight.

Jhe10077

Jackers, Badges, offdrive4 and Ray AFCW like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:02 pm

There seem to be an awful lot of weather experts around lately,including those who informed us,as a matter of fact,that T20 finals day would be a complete washout.
Speaking of weather,on my last visit to Taunton in 2018 Surrey were denied a near certain 10th consecutive win by an overnight storm that ripped the covers from the pitch causing the game to be abandoned on a lovely sunny day.
I have to say that on my many night time visits to the bathroom i never heard any such storm.However we were a long way (about half a mile) from the ground.
If memory serves the draw got Somerset a bit further up the table and the prize money.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray AFCW Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:19 pm

Now we are missing Sean Abbott at Taunton, where is Sam Curran?

Ray AFCW

Andy1210 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:24 pm

Ray AFCW wrote:Now we are missing Sean Abbott at Taunton, where is Sam Curran?

He's gone on holiday with Rehan Ahmed.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:17 am

Badges wrote:
Ray AFCW wrote:Now we are missing Sean Abbott at Taunton, where is Sam Curran?

He's gone on holiday with Rehan Ahmed.

But will be back for the 100.

The weather is looking a little better.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:46 am

Somerset won the toss and elected to bat

Somerset
15 TA Lammonby
58 SR Dickson
28 TB Abell*
14 GA Bartlett
32 T Kohler-Cadmore
55 JEK Rew†
54 BGF Green
5 KL Aldridge
12 C Overton
24 MJ Henry
13 S Bashir

Surrey
17 RJ Burns*
45 DP Sibley
48 TWM Latham
11 JL Smith
7 BT Foakes†
9 WG Jacks
16 J Clark
37 AAP Atkinson
30 TE Lawes
88 J Overton
8 DJ Worrall

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:29 am

Decent start from Worrall and Clark.

Warwickshire 18 for 5 against Middlesex !

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:35 am

Unable to find a wicket at Warwickshire so they decided to play on the outfield. The Rose Bowl also looks interesting.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next