Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset v Surrey

+17
cicero
Ali888
Keith Powell
kjb
adelaide
Alex!
Jedrich
Ray AFCW
offdrive4
dougieginn
Cee Gee
Steve
Chinaman
guildfordbat
RB
Badges
Jackers
21 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Somerset v Surrey - Page 6 Empty Re: Somerset v Surrey

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:42 am

Chinaman wrote:
Jackers wrote:https://twitter.com/backandacross/status/1684511320022953991?t=zK-0TqgxSoxZYPWvGyrmHg&s=19

I have no idea what this 🐈 is called, Churchy really should tell us

I don't click on toxic Twitter links, so you'll have to tell me what it is. Elaine Musk, or whatever he's called in drag?

He's called Brian. As he only has one name, Churchy uses it twice as often to compensate.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:10 am

Cee Gee wrote:
VicNorth wrote:
Jhe10077 wrote:It’s a pity really we don’t have a second match against Essex which would’ve been at the Oval.  Some match that would’ve been.

Indeed.

Not this again. At least we play Hampshire twice. That’s what everyone wanted last year:

Hampshie aren't the closest rivals this year.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Angus French Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:40 am

I wonder if fixtures could be decided dynamically, before each round, using a Swiss pairing system? Teams would be paired against other teams of similar rank (with rank determined by points score) with the restriction that two teams could play each a maximum of twice - home and away. I guess one problem would be arranging travel and accommodation, both for team members and supporters, given there would be little advance notice of pairings. It think it would make the competition more interesting and arguably fairer though.

Angus French

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:49 am

Jackers wrote:
Chinaman wrote:
Jackers wrote:https://twitter.com/backandacross/status/1684511320022953991?t=zK-0TqgxSoxZYPWvGyrmHg&s=19

I have no idea what this 🐈 is called, Churchy really should tell us

I don't click on toxic Twitter links, so you'll have to tell me what it is. Elaine Musk, or whatever he's called in drag?

He's called Brian. As he only has one name, Churchy uses it twice as often to compensate.

Rather than Lock and Laker.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:00 am

We should go back to two divisions of nine counties, everyone playing each other home and away, sorted and totally fair with sixteen games. Probably have to get rid of the horrid hundred to do it, but no problem there surely.

offdrive4

guildfordbat, Badges, Keith Powell, Chinaman, Erniep7070, VicNorth and David Waghorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:06 am

I have been wanting this ever since the CC was divided into 2 divs. That gives 16 matches, playing every county twice which is obviously much fairer and there should be promotion and relegation for 2 teams. I cannot see how anyone could argue against this.

David Waghorn

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Angus French Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:21 am

David Waghorn wrote:I have been wanting this ever since the CC was divided into 2 divs. That gives 16 matches, playing every county twice which is obviously much fairer and there should be promotion and relegation for 2 teams. I cannot see how anyone could argue against this.
I think this would be the best format too. But a problem would be accommodating 16 matches rather than the current 14. I'd like to get rid of The 100 to give space but the contract with Sky runs until 2028.

Angus French

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:38 pm

Angus French wrote:I wonder if fixtures could be decided dynamically, before each round, using a Swiss pairing system? Teams would be paired against other teams of similar rank (with rank determined by points score) with the restriction that two teams could play each a maximum of twice - home and away. I guess one problem would be arranging travel and accommodation, both for team members and supporters, given there would be little advance notice of pairings. It think it would make the competition more interesting and arguably fairer though.

Or we could play every side twice.

guildfordbat

VicNorth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:02 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Here we go! Climate change will happen despite what we do that may or perhaps may not contribute to it. Err...this summer here is old style, perhaps it'll get colder. But it's normally in the high 30s at least in Greece in July. I have a friend who is a fireman in California and has been fighting wildfires since the late 70s. But let's leave it there.

As I read recently, climate change predictions and weather forecasts are only one up from horoscopes.

If it wasn't so worrying, it would be amusing how people have so much faith in what they read somewhere (a rabbit hole on the internet or elsewhere) rather than what most scientists think is going to happen. I'd love to believe that the science, models and projections are wrong and that everything is going to be hunky dory for my grandchildren but as more and more emerges that seems increasingly like sticking my fingers in my ears.

But hey, let's look on the bright side. We might blow ourselves up first.

adelaide

Ali888, dougieginn and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Angus French Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:21 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Angus French wrote:I wonder if fixtures could be decided dynamically, before each round, using a Swiss pairing system? Teams would be paired against other teams of similar rank (with rank determined by points score) with the restriction that two teams could play each a maximum of twice - home and away. I guess one problem would be arranging travel and accommodation, both for team members and supporters, given there would be little advance notice of pairings. It think it would make the competition more interesting and arguably fairer though.

That would be my preferred choice, but how do you make room for the extra two fixtures? The contract with Sky to broadcast The 100 runs until 2028 so it's presumably not possible to get rid of that to make space.

Angus French

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:27 pm

Just back from Taunton.Well played lads! Sam Curran was there, not sure why he didn't play but am i boverred?

There are too many weather "experts" around nowadays IMHO.We had three good days albeit the middle one being curtailed.Please stop telling us what the result will be in advance based on your expert weather knowledge.Hordes of weather men/women especially on the BBC ,rarely get it right.

First time i can remember two batsmen getting out on 99 in the same innings?

Badges

SimonH and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:36 pm

Angus French wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

That would be my preferred choice, but how do you make room for the extra two fixtures? The contract with Sky to broadcast The 100 runs until 2028 so it's presumably not possible to get rid of that to make space.

As I've said many times, a contract is only as watertight as both sides want it to be. If both the ECB and Sky want to do something about the Hundred sooner than 2028, then that will happen. Rumours are that it will involve amalgamating with the T20 competition, though whether the counties or franchise teams will be playing it is the 64,000 dollar question. Even if we don't blast the Hundred out of existence in the next five years, then the ECB will be looking to shorten the window of time to create space in August for championship cricket. I believe Richard Thompson in particular is determined to achieve that.
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn, SimonH and offdrive4 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm

Having Sam Curran back for the last 3 games we shouldn’t need 2 overseas players. Definitely Roach if Available would be my Choice.

Jhe10077

SimonH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:32 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Having Sam Curran back for the last 3 games we shouldn’t need 2 overseas players. Definitely Roach if Available would be my Choice.

No we won't, England's white ball teams will pinch him.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:21 pm

If that’s the case Roach and Latham who appeared to intergrate well into the Team during he’s stay.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:30 pm

Let's just try and pick our teams from the 30 plus players we already have FFS.

Badges

VicNorth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:47 pm

Overseas players are an essential component of any title winning team. Essex have Harmer, and the easier run-in.We need to get at least one in.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:59 pm

Badges wrote:Let's just try and pick our teams from the 30 plus players we already have FFS.

Well, we can't.

Of those players, we'll be missing Jacks, Evans, Roy, Pope, Latham, SCurran, Narine, Roach, and Abbott, and probably Jordan, TCurran, and Topley.

Athers said it on commentary today - we need that many players because as we saw last year we didn't even have 11 contracted players available at times.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:01 pm

How can we be 'missing' Reece Topley?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:10 pm

Topley when he turned out for us in 4 day cricket was pretty decent - always good value in having a left armer around your squad.

Not that we'll ever see him playing much First Class cricket at all, if ever, again

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Angus French Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:46 pm

RB wrote:
Badges wrote:Let's just try and pick our teams from the 30 plus players we already have FFS.

Well, we can't.

Of those players, we'll be missing Jacks, Evans, Roy, Pope, Latham, SCurran, Narine, Roach, and Abbott, and probably Jordan, TCurran, and Topley.

Athers said it on commentary today - we need that many players because as we saw last year we didn't even have 11 contracted players available at times.
Those players won't be missing from the Championship though, will they (unless they were already missing)?

Angus French

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:23 am

Perhaps we should concede the title now. Someone’s
Glass is Half Full!

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:27 am

Alex! wrote:Topley when he turned out for us in 4 day cricket was pretty decent - always good value in having a left armer around your squad.

I wasn't doubting his bowling ability.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:11 am

Already doing a Rain Dance.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:22 am

Or Even our local noisy neighbours who hit some form at Birmingham May bail us out.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next