Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

+30
Bhambrownhatter
optimistnot
Benmug
Robertoflondon
Vauxhall
KeninWestWickham
Keith Powell
offdrive4
Chinaman
Cee Gee
Badges
Jackers
Pink Panther
paultpm
dougieginn
John Hamilton
Basileus1453
Sir Winston Churchill
Howzat
surreybrowncap1956
adelaide
guildfordbat
cricketman
Olympian2
Mike Douglas
kjb
Coatesy
The Red Rooster
Alex!
RB
34 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home) Empty The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:50 pm

There are three bullet points about The 100 for your attention:

1. The live band: Covid John & The Vauxhall Variants featuring special
 guest rapper Corona Annie performing tracks from the hit album "Restrictions"

2. The DJ: Calamity Jane.

3. Special prize for anyone in the crowd(?) catching a six from the 10 ball over: One year's supply of disposable masks and one year's supply of hand sanitizer. N.B. You don't have to wear a mask but Boris would rather you did.

Please fill in the compulsory 10 page Risk Assessment when you reach the ground.

Thanks for your attention and we hope not to see you at the Oval for the first game.

Last edited by Chinaman on Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home) Empty Re: The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:08 pm

And they expect the "new" audience of mums and the kids to understand this gobbledygook?

Chinaman

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home) Empty Re: The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

Post by RB Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 pm

Us scorers have just had a collective "now what" moment.

Surely DLS will just be started as a 16.4-over game? No need to change anything?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 am

RB wrote:

Surely DLS will just be started as a 16.4-over game? No need to change anything?

Well no because you have to have 5 ball overs. For some obscure reason there is a 10 ball over thrown in as well. But how do "no balls" fit in because then it isn't a 100 ball game? Things to ponder, but we're not really interested are we.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 am

I thought the idea was that this would all help TV broadcasters fit it all into a 2/3 hour slot...

A load of bollocks

Alex!

Lama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:38 am

Chinaman wrote:
RB wrote:

Well no because you have to have 5 ball overs. For some obscure reason there is a 10 ball over thrown in as well. But how do "no balls" fit in because then it isn't a 100 ball game? Things to ponder, but we're not really interested are we.

I mean when I open up the DLS calculator I’ll just say it’s 16.4x6 rather than 20x5.

20x5 is how I’m going to do it in my book, sod the ECB. If a bowler bowls 10, I’ll just say they bowled two overs consecutively like an indoor game.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:43 pm

The official, now renamed Wokey100 theme song has just been announced:
It's a rap sing along version of the old Smith's classic:
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now".
Also rumoured is that your old mate Dominic Cummins will open the proceedings with a rendition of "Ode To Boris Jo".

Chinaman

Basileus1453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:26 pm

The photo poster on the BBC cricket site headlining a piece on the 100, looks like a World War 11 recruitment poster! Check it out.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm

Jamie Overton out of the 100. Fortunately no Surrey player selected as a replacement.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/the-hundred-2021-injuries-rule-jamie-overton-richard-gleeson-out-of-hundred-1270235

The Red Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Michael Vaughan
@MichaelVaughan
·
Feb 23
Just a reminder that the hundred will be just a game of Cricket .. New rules .. A few less deliveries .. but the best players playing against the best .. !!! What’s not to like .. It’s only cricket .. I don’t get all the hatred

HE JUST GETS ALL THE MONEY FOR TALKING BOLLOCKS Sad

Badges

dougieginn, Cee Gee and Lama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:40 pm

By the way it's going many no name players are bailing for one reason or another. "Best playing the best?" . Don't think so. I've barely heard of Overtons replacement.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:17 pm

I do wonder though whether the "target audience" would know or care if the world's best-known short-form cricketers won't be appearing. They don't like cricket, don't follow cricket, so would they care who turns out so long as they are given free tickets and there is plenty of razmataz, Corona Annie is belting out the latest tunes and they are caught up in the initial hype...
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm

I hate hearing journos saying this competition has to succeed or the game as a whole in England is in the mire, whilst clearly being against the thing in the first place

Burn the fucking thing in the ground

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Rain at the end of the week and weekend might wash out a few "games" as well as put the fires out when Alex, me and the rest of us have burnt it all to the ground.
You know there is a level of pure hatred running through cricket supporters about this, not really something I've seen for a long time, maybe since apartheid South Africa tours, but I don't think that was as mainstream as this is becoming. Piss off your crickets real supporters at your peril ECB.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Red Rooster Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:17 pm

Alex! wrote:I hate hearing journos saying this competition has to succeed or the game as a whole in England is in the mire, whilst clearly being against the thing in the first place

That is because a lot of Cricket "influencers" have been paid a retainer by the ECB for The Hundred. James Anderson on TMS the other day struggled to explain what he was actually doing for that money apart from commentating for the BBC.

It is significant that critics of THe Hundred such as Michael Holding, on whose words SKY normally hangs on, have been excluded from the debate andb you get the likes of Mark Nicholas (paid consultant to The Southern Brave) stating that The Hundred is great because it is like watching children playing on a beach (he said that on TALK Sport during a feature in the India Test series).

The players are all in favour of a competition that pays the £ 20,000 for benchwarming, expecially fringe county players involved, though there is the prospect that if some of the replacements in the RLC do well they will not have a job to return to....

The Red Rooster

dougieginn and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 am

I thought Mark Nichol-arse was also involved in the South staff? (I refuse to use their franchise names!) He definitely was present at the "Draft" to pick the team?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:37 am

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:18 am

Surely for some it will have to be "heroine of the match" or in some cases "heroin"

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:30 am

Supposing one of the cricketeers is an LBGTQ+ (well you never know). What will they be addressed as?

Talk about a woke/pc competition.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:43 am

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Douglas Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Alex! wrote:I hate hearing journos saying this competition has to succeed or the game as a whole in England is in the mire, whilst clearly being against the thing in the first place

Game is in the mire but Surrey v Nottingham and the Kent game on the 28th are both sold out. That is without all the rubbish publicity for the abomination.

Mike Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Mike Douglas wrote:

Game is in the mire but Surrey v Nottingham and the Kent game on the 28th are both sold out. That is without all the rubbish publicity for the abomination.

Do you mean the One Day Cup matches?

kjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Presumably you mean the 27th? We play Notts at Guildford and I presume we just can now just turn up with our membership cards? Nothing on the Oval web site yet. The 28th is at Beckenham, but that's Kent vs Lancs.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Douglas Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Chinaman wrote:Presumably you mean the 27th? We play Notts at Guildford and I presume we just can now just turn up with our membership cards? Nothing on the Oval web site yet. The 28th is at Beckenham, but that's Kent vs Lancs.
Perhaps I should have said the Surrey match was on the 27th. I was just pointing out that our game is not in the mire if two one day games for different counties can be sold out to non-members. Having checked with the Oval, members will be allowed in at Guildford using their membership cards and can also use their guest vouchers.

Mike Douglas

dougieginn, Chinaman and GuildfordQuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next