Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

+30
Bhambrownhatter
optimistnot
Benmug
Robertoflondon
Vauxhall
KeninWestWickham
Keith Powell
offdrive4
Chinaman
Cee Gee
Badges
Jackers
Pink Panther
paultpm
dougieginn
John Hamilton
Basileus1453
Sir Winston Churchill
Howzat
surreybrowncap1956
adelaide
guildfordbat
cricketman
Olympian2
Mike Douglas
kjb
Coatesy
The Red Rooster
Alex!
RB
34 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Turns out that Nepalese lad meant to play for them has been screwed over by the ECB and visa issues

I'm not going to watch any of it but I hope it's a dead crowd

Alex!

Back to top Go down

The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Oval Invisibles (Covid's Coming Home)

Post by Chinaman Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:35 pm

The weather forecast for Wed/Thurs around 6pm on the BBC News Channel just now suggests thunderstorms around 6pm on both days. Not reflected on the Internet forecast but that's not unusual. May not need to burn it down Alex!, with a bit of luck it may be washed away.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:37 pm

That'll do

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Apparently Sky and the BBC have been told not to say "100 for 2", and to ignore the wickets column altogether!

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 am

I'm tempted to go over to The Oval for the first match just to have a nose.Don't want to be involved in a large crowd of loonies though! Late fitness test i think......................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympian2 Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:55 am

Badges wrote:I'm tempted to go over to The Oval for the first match just to have a nose.Don't want to be involved in a large crowd of loonies though! Late fitness test i think......................

Of course, that’s exactly what Tom Harrison needs to happen for The Hundred to survive, Badges….
Olympian2
Olympian2

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:58 am

Olympian2 wrote:
Badges wrote:I'm tempted to go over to The Oval for the first match just to have a nose.Don't want to be involved in a large crowd of loonies though! Late fitness test i think......................

Of course, that’s exactly what Tom Harrison needs to happen for The Hundred to survive, Badges….

Probably best to have a quick nose via the TV. I understand 10,000 tickets have been "sold" for tonight's ladies game, albeit 8000 given away according to one report.

Chinaman

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 am

I agree. Assuming you are not one of the tiny minority of cricket supporters who are in any way enthusiastic about this nonsense, try to resist the urge to go along to the first one out of curiosity. Optics count: if the TV companies perceive people are supporting it they won't be drilling down into why bums are on seats: they will just note that they are. The more gaps the better.
Jackers
Jackers

Chinaman and Lama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 am

totally agree

from a cricket supporters point of view, reverse the phrase 'the more the better' to 'the less the better'

I notice that one of the straplines for the game is 'every ball counts'. doesnt it in every form of cricket from Test downwards?

Coatesy

Chinaman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 am

106 more reasons to hate the hundred.
Derbyshire (3): Luis Reece, Matt Critchley, Leus du Plooy
Durham (5): Mark Wood, Ben Stokes, Brydon Carse, Matty Potts, Ben Raine
Essex (2): Dan Lawrence, Sam Cook
Glamorgan (4): Chris Cooke, Dan Douthwaite, Timm van der Gugten, David Lloyd
Gloucestershire (5): Benny Howell, Miles Hammond, Ryan Higgins, David Payne, Iain Cockbain
Hampshire (4): Mason Crane, Chris Wood, Liam Dawson, James Vince
Kent (7): Daniel Bell-Drummond, Zak Crawley, Joe Denly, Fred Klaassen, Alex Blake, Sam Billings, Jordan Cox
Lancashire (7): Liam Livingstone, Jos Buttler, Matt Parkinson, Tom Hartley, Saqib Mahmood, Alex Davies, Luke Wood
Leicestershire (2): Colin Ackermann, Callum Parkinson
Middlesex (6): Tom Helm, Eoin Morgan, Blake Cullen, Steven Finn, John Simpson, Nathan Sowter
Northamptonshire (3): Adam Rossington, Brandon Glover, Josh Cobb
Nottinghamshire (9): Joe Clarke, Calvin Harrison, Alex Hales, Matt Carter, Tom Moores, Steve Mullaney, Samit Patel, Ben Duckett, Jake Ball
Somerset (Cool: Tom Abell, Will Smeed, Roelof van der Merwe, Tom Lammonby, Max Waller, Craig Overton, Lewis Gregory, Tom Banton
Surrey (11) : Jade Dernbach, Sam Curran, Rory Burns, Tom Curran, Reece Topley, Jason Roy, Laurie Evans, Will Jacks, Jordan Clark, Ollie Pope, Liam Plunkett
Sussex (9): Ravi Bopara, Phil Salt, Ollie Robinson, Jofra Archer, George Garton, Chris Jordan, Tymal Mills, Delray Rawlins, Luke Wright
Warwickshire (6): Chris Woakes, Dom Sibley, Adam Hose, Sam Hain, Danny Briggs, Jake Lintott
Worcestershire (5): Moeen Ali, Pat Brown, Dillon Pennington, Ross Whiteley, Ben Cox
Yorkshire (10): Adil Rashid, David Willey, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Adam Lyth, Matt Fisher, Harry Brook, Jordan Thompson, Joe Root, Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am

I heard Vaughan on BBC breakfast this morning with his usual waffle bigging the tournament up

he kept going on about it will be great to see England internationals up against each other, as if that doesnt happen in T20 (when they are available)

Coatesy

Lama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:03 pm

One of the ECB's biggest arguments was it was vital to get "cricket" back on the BBC, and they are prepared to set aside two-and-a-half hours of their prime-time schedule for it. I have just realised that this Hundred thingy is being shunted to BBC2. Looking at tomorrow night's BBC1 schedule, that means it will be up against the early evening news, Eastenders, and half of the final part of the "Uprising" documentary about race riots in 1980s London. If the BBC were properly investing in this they would clear its main schedules for it as they do for international and some domestic football, Wimbledon and The Olympics. How many families will opt to watch this during prime-time on the minor channel when the BBC does not consider it worth clearing the decks for?
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Jackers wrote:One of the ECB's biggest arguments was it was vital to get "cricket" back on the BBC, and they are prepared to set aside two-and-a-half hours of their prime-time schedule for it. I have just realised that this Hundred thingy is being shunted to BBC2. Looking at tomorrow night's BBC1 schedule, that means it will be up against the early evening news, Eastenders, and half of the final part of the "Uprising" documentary about race riots in 1980s London. If the BBC were properly investing in this they would clear its main schedules for it as they do for international and some domestic football, Wimbledon and The Olympics. How many families will opt to watch this during prime-time on the minor channel when the BBC does not consider it worth clearing the decks for?

I also believe there are only about half a dozen of the matches actually on BBC.
What percentage of the population has Sky and how many of them are that interested in cricket let alone this nonsense?

kjb

Lama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:07 pm

only 18 games (10 men and 8 women) (are we allowed to say that) are live on the BBC, although the BBC are selling that every game is live on Radio Five Live and on the BBC website

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:23 pm

The thing is from Saturday the Olympics are on BBC1 and don't finish until 9pm.  But the only bit that would clash with the 100 is a review of the day as the live stuff ends around 6pm our time. You would have thought they'd stick that on BBC2. Maybe they have realised they've been ripped off by the ECB and sold a dud. That of course depending on whether the Games are yet cancelled as Covid John has started to rip through the teams. In fact he might knock out the 100 as well, although I'd rather the ECB doesn't get an escape clause.

Last edited by Chinaman on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm

https://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/love-minus-a-hundred/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=love-minus-a-hundred_709

This is an excellent read by the editor of The Full Toss HYS (well worth joining). Really says it all.

Chinaman

Erniep7070 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:01 pm

The credits!  I don't know what to say, it is a complete abomination.

Brenda from Bristol in the opening segments summing it up: "You're joking, what another one?"

At least they aren't claiming it is cricket: "It's like cricket....but shorter". Well worth giving up our historic cricket ground for a month of prime summer, I'd say.

Any plus points? Isha Guha is easier on the eye as anchor than David Gower or Peter West back in the day.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 pm

I agree, I’m watching this women’s game on TV to see how it goes.

Not liking what I’m seeing so far. Why are the graphics so awful?

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by kjb Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm

RB wrote:I agree, I’m watching this women’s game on TV to see how it goes.

Stop boosting their viewing ratings!

kjb

The Red Rooster, Chinaman and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi RB - And there aren't scorecards at the ground for Hundred games! That's poor for scorers like you and seasoned watchers like me.

guildfordbat

RB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Well I seem unable to quote on my iPad, but I’m watching on Sky rather than the BBC, and I would have to say you can tell Nasser Hussain isn’t really on board with it.

I’m constantly “translating” myself into “proper” cricket scores. Van Niekerk has used more 10s than 5s in her bowlers (the only sort of interest for me, that tactical element), and the white card thing is utterly pointless.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:59 pm

The sight of Robert Key "dancing" almost made me throw up in my dinner.As i said before,some people would stab their grandmother for two bob.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Hi RB - And there aren't scorecards at the ground for Hundred games! That's poor for scorers like you and seasoned watchers like me.

I wouldn't think there would be any demand for scorecards from the people actually watching this rubbish. I saw a shot of the crowd with a number of kids running about so I suspect most freebies went to schools.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:51 pm

First ball was a wide

First bit of fielding was cocked up

First Umpire decision was wrong and changed on referral

Lady Umpire signalled a free hit when it wasn't

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:54 pm

Badges wrote:Lady Umpire signalled a free hit when it wasn't

Counterpoint: she did become the first female umpire to officiate a men's game when she was the 4th official recently, I think for one of the England games.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next