Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any sign of tomorrow's team/squad?

+19
Alex!
Jedrich
Keith Powell
Howzat
adelaide
Erniep7070
Chinaman
OvalCynic
Olympian2
dougieginn
jahall
John Hamilton
Cee Gee
guildfordbat
Pink Panther
RB
Admin
Jackers
Missing Leg
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Any sign of tomorrow's team/squad? - Page 3 Empty Re: Any sign of tomorrow's team/squad?

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 am

Keith Powell wrote:Not looking good weather wise at the moment heavy rain here in purley can't think there will be much play today if at all .Hopefully the members forum will still go ahead .
At least Essex might only have one day to finish us off and get 13 wickets.

Raining in Shooters Hill. Doubt they'll be any play. The forum isn't on Zoom, but it's still scheduled for 5.30pm.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Any sign of tomorrow's team/squad? - Page 3 Empty Re: Any sign of tomorrow's team/squad?

Post by Jackers Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am

I hadn't seen that the forum wasn't on Zoom when I posted my request on the other thread.

I am no great lover of Zoom, believe me, but it doesn't seem very sensible to go ahead with an in-person only forum when a lot of people won't come in because there is no cricket to watch. They should either reschedule it to tomorrow/one evening next week, or if that really isn't possible then offer a Zoom option this evening.

Unless, that is, they are secretly relieved that numbers will be down, given that the natives are certain to be very restless......
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:43 am

Team morale must be at an all time low at the moment. If Stewart loves Surrey as much as he professes to he will take responsibility and resign. This can’t go on!!!!

dougieginn

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:18 am

I just find it baffling that the members have told them at the online functionality is a big, big plus for these events, and then decide not to have it available all of a sudden...

Alex!

guildfordbat and Sir Winston Churchill like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:33 pm

It’s now solely online thanks to the rain.

Stewart and co don’t fancy hanging around for 4 hours and who can blame them…

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by OvalJon Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi All - just popping on here to confirm that the forum has moved online only tonight because, sadly, the rain has kept everyone away from the cricket today. We thought it would be easier for everyone to login from home rather than make the trip to the ground especially.

All the details are online here: https://www.kiaoval.com/members-forum-online-log-in-details/. Assume I will see most of you later on!

Cheers,
OJ

OvalJon

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:16 pm

OvalJon wrote:Hi All - just popping on here to confirm that the forum has moved online only tonight because, sadly, the rain has kept everyone away from the cricket today. We thought it would be easier for everyone to login from home rather than make the trip to the ground especially.

All the details are online here: https://www.kiaoval.com/members-forum-online-log-in-details/. Assume I will see most of you later on!

Cheers,
OJ

Is Oval Jon a relation of Covid John?

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Could anybody please tell me............

Are Essex changing at The Vauxhall End or is it back to normal?

Thankyou

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:57 pm

At the Vauxhall end.

Keith Powell

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 pm

Keith Powell wrote:At the Vauxhall end.

Thanks very much!

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:04 am

I was looking forward to today but i'm staying at home.What's the point?It's day 4 and Surrey are still in their first innings after Essex took up 144 overs,bad enough under any circumstances but worse knowing there would be rain delays.

The time has come to put a limit on first innings overs.110 will do nicely thankyou very much.When i first watched it was 65 overs.It's gone from one extreme to the other and is killing the game IMHO.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:17 am

Badges wrote:I was looking forward to today but i'm staying at home.What's the point?It's day 4 and Surrey are still in their first innings after Essex took up 144 overs,bad enough under any circumstances but worse knowing there would be rain delays.

The time has come to put a limit on first innings overs.110 will do nicely thankyou very much.When i first watched it was 65 overs.It's gone from one extreme to the other and is killing the game IMHO.

I think you have said this before about 65 overs but it was evidently considered a failure as it was dropped after one year (1966). Between 1974 and 1981 the first innings was restricted to 100 overs but any unused overs could be used by the other team, this if you bowled out someone in 50 overs you could bat for 150 overs.

Middlesex batted for five sessions against Sussex. That gave the pitch time to take spin and they and won by an innings; I'm sure Surrey have done similar. I don't see that as killing cricket and it does mirror a situation you could often find in Tests. If you bat long and run out of time or the weather breaks, that's the risk you take but the same is also true if you delay a second innings declaration too long, or if you fail to enforce the follow-on. I'd leave well alone.

adelaide

Jackers and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:47 am

Hi Badges - I’m very much with our Middlesex correspondent on this.

Imo, Essex have judged everything very well. Going into the final day and even with one day washed out, they have a decent chance of winning and absolutely no chance of losing. Remember back to the Gloucs game at the Oval - we and Amla, in particular, played it exactly the same way for a rare triumph this season.

Btw, if Essex’s innings had been curtailed after something like 65 overs as you suggest and with yesterday lost to the weather, we would probably now be looking at a very boring draw being played out from the start of the final day. At least today Surrey have something to play for, even if it is only avoiding an innings defeat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Badges - I’m very much with our Middlesex correspondent on this.

Imo, Essex have judged everything very well. Going into the final day and even with one day washed out, they have a decent chance of winning and absolutely no chance of losing. Remember back to the Gloucs game at the Oval - we and Amla, in particular, played it exactly the same way for a rare triumph this season.

Btw, if Essex’s innings had been curtailed after something like 65 overs as you suggest and with yesterday lost to the weather, we would probably now be looking at a very boring draw being played out from the start of the final day. At least today Surrey have something to play for, even if it is only avoiding an innings defeat.

I never suggested any such thing.I reported a FACT.The first few games i saw at The Oval were played under a 65 over first innings rule.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:15 am

The blockathon part 2 is well and truly on.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am

We have seen Essex  elect to give Sir Alastair Cook batting  practice rather than make a game of it at The Oval before.A few years back they (and Cook) batted on and on rather than put Surrey back in and try to win it

.BBC Essex's Dick Davies:

"Despite polishing off the Surrey innings in 25 deliveries at the start of the day, Essex eschewed the opportunity to go for the win, much to the surprise and disappointment of a good crowd at The Oval.

Last edited by Badges on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:24 am

Can't wait to see the social media channels celebrate this draw, assuming the batting has some levels of competency today

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am

Badges wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi Badges - I’m very much with our Middlesex correspondent on this.

I never suggested any such thing.I reported a FACT.The first few games i saw at The Oval were played under a 65 over first innings rule.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedrich Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Alex! wrote:Can't wait to see the social media channels celebrate this draw, assuming the batting has some levels of competency today

Steady. We're still well capable of messing this up ...

Jedrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Poor Cam Steel. He looked much better there but left a ball he played at in the 1st innings and nicked off, where as this one moved a mile back in and bowled him. Cricket.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:03 pm

The difference was that there was no significant rain forecast for the Gloucestershire game. The forecast for yesterday was very clear when Essex batted. Under those circumstances, and given Surrey's lack of quality, they could have declared before lunchtime on Day 2 with 350 on the board and left time to bowl Surrey out twice. I don't understand why captains are so risk-averse in these circumstances: what are the chances that such a declaration could possibly have lost them the game, and surely it would have greatly enhanced their chances of victory.
Jackers
Jackers

Badges and Erniep7070 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Exactly!

The game at Hampshire saw the same scenario.They batted well into the afternoon on day 2,day 3 was all but lost and we ended up 122/8.Served them right and the same to Essex.

Badges

Erniep7070 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 pm

What a wonderful player, Amla is ,a tribute to his profession , it might be at the end of his career,but an example to the Surrey batsman in the side. It’s a pity that they seemed to have learnt little!

dougieginn

Badges, offdrive4 and Erniep7070 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Well we got out of that one thanks to yesterday's washout. Would have lost easily.
You know while we are probably the worst Surrey side for I don't know how long, when you look around all the counties in the last two rounds there are loads of low scores, the standard of first class and Test cricket is at an all time low. I can't recall when it was worse.

Chinaman

Badges and Keith Powell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketman Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:56 am

I see that Sir Alastair may be forced out at Essex. As he likes batting at The Oval, perhaps, just perhaps............

cricketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next