Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Somerset July 11th.

+14
dougieginn
Jackers
Sir Winston Churchill
Cee Gee
Admin
The Red Rooster
Alex!
adelaide
guildfordbat
Coatesy
Basileus1453
RB
Badges
Chinaman
18 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Surrey vs Somerset July 11th. - Page 6 Empty Re: Surrey vs Somerset July 11th.

Post by Badges Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:34 pm

A day when the public were treated with contempt.NOBODY should be signed for one game-especially a "dead" one like this.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:37 pm

Chinaman wrote:
Badges wrote:
Basileus1453 wrote:Just seeing Leech remonstrating with the Umpire. Somerset are rattled. It's up for grabs lads 😁

He seems to have become a prima donna.Arguing with the Umpire,taking ages to deliver the ball,moving the field after nearly every ball.Oh dear!

Well it was never up for grabs, and in the same position every side would use the same tactics.

Oh! That's alright then.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Nobody was treated with contempt! Where are you coming from? It was one of the far better and entertaining days I've see this season.I do wonder sometimes how many people on here actually go to the games.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:48 pm

I wonder about you if you are happy that Somerset first elected to bat again then shook hands with 5 wickets to take and 16 overs to take them.You must be off your nut if you agree with those decisions.

Badges

Cee Gee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 pm

Testing........

trying (without luck) to post photos from today's debacle of a Cricket match

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:54 pm

I'm not worried about Somerset's decision-making - let their fans question them.

It was always a big ask for us to chase those runs at more than 4.5 an over on a turning pitch with Jack Leach bowling and with our batting line-up lacking anyone in the middle-order capable of accelerating as, say, Ollie Pope, Will Jacks, Jason Roy or Sam Curran might have been capable of doing. And had Rory Burns not been out so early they would have given it a go. But once both he and Stoneman were out cheaply it simply wasn't going to happen.

We saw four hours of entertaining cricket and we didn't fold. I'm very happy with Surrey's performance today. My criticism is of the club's priorities and lack of backbone, not the effort or performance of the players in this match.

Last edited by Jackers on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jackers
Jackers

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Badges wrote:I wonder about you if you are happy that Somerset first elected to bat again then shook hands with 5 wickets to take and 16 overs to take them.You must be off your nut if you agree with those decisions.

6 wickets. You miss the point. They were already through to Div 1 when they passed 250 on Sunday. But I agree no idea why they batted again, apart from perhaps they felt winning did not really matter. Gave us a sniff, and made a good day.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Haven't heard anything official from Somerset
But it has been mentioned that Somerset didn't need to win
Perhaps they wanted 2 rest there bowlers as they have 2 T20 matches coming up.
I was surprised they didn't enforce the follow on .
The only thing that made it interesting was Surrey bowling them out so cheaply it wasn't as if they were going for quick runs to make a declaration.
It could have been a very boring last day but Surrey bowling them out made it interesting for a short while.

Keith Powell

dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:58 pm

The lesser spotted Liam Plunkett was on the field during the lunch interval today!

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Maybe Middlesex should have been self-serving and thrown the Leicestershire match to start off in Div 3 with a greater points advantage over their divisional rival. No, they showed some pride and integrity and disadvantaged themselves for Div 3. (*). (The possibility of that sort of gaming is a poor feature which would only require the addition of one match in each of the Divisions to avoid.)

Somerset's decision was intended to produce a day of absolute tedium for the spectators, not a million miles from the infamous Brian Rose decision was years ago. As it turned out, it produced some exciting cricket but that was not what they intended.

You can never design a system which prevents two teams who would be safe with a drawn playing for that draw but that wasn't the situation here. As well as the disrespect to spectators, it affected Leicestershire; if Surrey had been close to losing come tea time, they could have tried to bat out a draw.

I like a lot of how Somerset play but such cynicism does not become them.

(*) Alternative explanation - they were trying to do so but were too incompetent to achieve it!

adelaide

dougieginn, Badges and Basileus1453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 am

I was surprised Somerset didn't continue going for the win.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ovalworld.forumotion.com

dougieginn, Badges and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:19 am

Badges wrote:The lesser spotted Liam Plunkett was on the field during the lunch interval today!

of course he was, was probably getting fit for which ever Franchise he is playing for over the next few weeks

Coatesy

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Barron kept saying during the second innings that Surrey may decide to take the spinners off and bowl seamers just to kill time and presumably stop the wickets tumbling. Imagine if they’d done that.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Just watched the highlights.The Somerset commentator informs us that van der Merwe,no sorry Brooks,no it's actually deLange is out.Third time lucky-astonishing.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6