Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overseas for the last 3

+15
kjb
adelaide
Ali888
Keith Powell
Jhe10077
dougieginn
David Waghorn
Alex!
Coatesy
Jackers
Cee Gee
Badges
VicNorth
RB
Steve
19 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Overseas for the last 3 - Page 2 Empty Re: Overseas for the last 3

Post by Alex! Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:01 pm

Kemar's back! Absolutely fantastic news.

Alex!

dougieginn, RB and Jedrich like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:07 pm

Great news, and as said in my previous post on this thread will certainly help with the bowling resources that will be missing

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:12 pm

Great news need a batsman now.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Steve wrote:Great news need a batsman now.

I am afraid I don't agree. We definitely needed another bowler and to get Kemar for these last three games could be the most important signing of the summer. For the batting, I feel we have to be brave and choose our home grown players, either Ryan Patel, Ben Geddes or even possibly both. Although Tom Latham did fairly OK, his batting was not great. He probably earned his money more from his fantastic slip catching - I certainly praise him for that. Unless we could tempt Sangakarra or Amla back into their pads (obviously not going to happen), I feel it is the appropriate time to give Patel and Geddes major responsibility. Several people were questioning the signing of Dan Lawrence for next season but with the batting of both Sibley and Burns this year, it is now quite obvious why Lawrence is a great acquisition. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Burns has scored a single century this season and in one game (was it the defeat to Lancs?), he bagged a pair!! Sibley had that one great innings against Kent but very little else. I think Patel in particular has been very unlucky not to play more and whenever I have seen Geddes, he looks class for the future.
Let's hope whoever gets picked, they bring that CC trophy back to where it belongs!!

David Waghorn

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:17 pm

You raise good points David. I was thinking along the lines if Burns ankle is bad and he is out.
Do you think Patel and Geddes will be here next season with Lawrence joining the club?

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:21 pm

Great news that Roach is back.

As far as the debate about whether we need to recruit a batsman goes, I think the fact that our two openers in particular have not been in great form recently, and that Pope is missing, makes it more rather than less important that we do so IF there is someone available of proven international quality.
Jackers
Jackers

Back to top Go down

Post by David Waghorn Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Steve wrote:You raise good points David. I was thinking along the lines if Burns ankle is bad and he is out.  
Do you think Patel and Geddes will be here next season with Lawrence joining the club?
I have a feeling that Burns' turned ankle was a rather convenient "injury" and allowed us to play these couple of youngsters in a meaningless match in terms of the competition but it allowed them to get a feel of playing for our special county. I think Burns will be fit to play on Sept 3rd but the question is more about his mental state which has been worrying the whole season. There have been rumours about this all season after being dropped from the England set-up.
I really hope that Stewart is doing all he can to keep both Patel and Geddes, especially after hearing that Smith, Worrall and Lawes have signed further long-term contracts

David Waghorn

Jackers, dougieginn, SimonH and KeninWestWickham like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Coatesy wrote:It seems as though we will need a replacement for Abbott for the 3 remaining championship matches, especially with Atkinson & Jacks missing from those that have played this season already, and possible replacements of Topley and Sam Curran also not available. With Clark possibly injured that does leave the bowling a little short, so I would hope that Roach has been approached and will be back.

The batting is dependant on whether Burns and Foakes are injured and whether reinforcements are required to cover them.

Looking at the last side against Somerset, Latham, Jacks and Atkinson will not be available, and there are doubts on Burns, Foakes and Clark

if all is well, then the XI for Warwickshire game could be

Burns, Sibley, Patel, Smith, Foakes, Steel, Clark, Overton, Lawes, Roach and Worrall

If Burns and/or Foakes arent available then Geddes gets in, with Smith taking the gloves if no Foakes. If Clark is unfit or Roach isnt back then the obvious replacement will be Moriarty, or there may even be a call up for Tom Curran or Mckerr

Crucial part of the season coming up, and with members of the squad from the start of the season not available, its important that the club get the right reinforcements in

Tom Curran is taking a break from red ball cricket so won’t be available

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:59 pm

BF fitness a worry also. Pretty Sure with Roach back expect a couple of Green quick wickets for our last 2 home games although Atkinson misses Warwickshire.by all accounts.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:05 pm

Wouldn’t be afraid to play Mckerr he is match ready

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:20 pm

dougieginn wrote:
Coatesy wrote:It seems as though we will need a replacement for Abbott for the 3 remaining championship matches, especially with Atkinson & Jacks missing from those that have played this season already, and possible replacements of Topley and Sam Curran also not available. With Clark possibly injured that does leave the bowling a little short, so I would hope that Roach has been approached and will be back.

The batting is dependant on whether Burns and Foakes are injured and whether reinforcements are required to cover them.

Looking at the last side against Somerset, Latham, Jacks and Atkinson will not be available, and there are doubts on Burns, Foakes and Clark

if all is well, then the XI for Warwickshire game could be

Burns, Sibley, Patel, Smith, Foakes, Steel, Clark, Overton, Lawes, Roach and Worrall

If Burns and/or Foakes arent available then Geddes gets in, with Smith taking the gloves if no Foakes. If Clark is unfit or Roach isnt back then the obvious replacement will be Moriarty, or there may even be a call up for Tom Curran or Mckerr

Crucial part of the season coming up, and with members of the squad from the start of the season not available, its important that the club get the right reinforcements in

Tom Curran is taking a break from red ball cricket so won’t be available

obviously doesnt earn enough by playing it

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:38 pm

"Surrey is a second home for me," says Kemar.

Sean Williams might have struggled to sound convincing?

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Powell Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Jackers wrote:Great news that Roach is back.

As far as the debate about whether we need to recruit a batsman goes, I think the fact that our two openers in particular have not been in great form recently, and that Pope is missing, makes it more rather than less important that we do so IF there is someone available of proven international quality.
Patel should play in the last 3 games for his performances in the ODC

Keith Powell

dougieginn, kjb, offdrive4 and OvalCynic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:00 pm

Let's hope all our players (that we need for CC) return fit and well from the SOME PEOPLE WOULD STAB THEIR GRANDMOTHER FOR TWO BOB league.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:54 pm

VicNorth wrote:He'd have said exactly the same thing whoever he'd played for.

Yadav signs for Essex for last 3 games.

"I am really pleased to join Essex and make what I hope will be some valuable contributions to the team's success this year.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:59 pm

Some of these blokes should add "Where is it?" to their remarks......................

Badges

Chinaman and VicNorth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ali888 Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:44 pm

Cee Gee wrote:We could also prepare a wicket with spin in mind and play Moriarty.

And Verdi

Ali888

Back to top Go down

Post by Cee Gee Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Good to see Clark and Foakes in the video on Twitter training with the red ball.

Cee Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:13 pm

Prepare a turning wicket for Steel and re sign Ashwin

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:35 pm

Essex going for a overseas Bowler for the CC run in they are going to be tough opponents for the remaining 3 Games.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:09 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Essex going for a  overseas Bowler for the CC run in they are going to be tough opponents for the remaining 3 Games.

Yadav played 3 CC2 games for Middlesex last year before getting crocked in the One Day Cup. 4 wickets at an average of 71. The general view is that he bowled a lot better than that (and he'll probably double that wicket haul when he plays against ... Middlesex) but it doesn't look an overwhelming signing to me. He did give it a good whack with the bat though.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:48 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Prepare a turning wicket for Steel and re sign Ashwin
Cameron Steel figures for Surrey last season are
10 wickets @45 runs/wicket, I’m sure the opposition will be quaking in their boots!! Now Virdi 133 @ 30.71 r/wkt, now he might bowl a side out!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:46 am

Why don't we sign THREE overseas "superstar" batsmen and play one in each of the remaining 3 games........................

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:57 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Prepare a turning wicket for Steel and re sign Ashwin
I remember the last time Ashwin and Virdi played in the same match,Virdi took 14 wickets,Ashwin took 12. Wickets and our esteemed coach only took 4!!!! on a turning pitch!!!!We won’t prepare a Bunsen for the next match with so many seamers in our side and would make Batty look a fool for only playing pace bowlers. Please note that Virdi took more wickets in that match than Steel has taken in entire career for Surrey!!!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:02 am

Or get Alastair Cook on a three match loan from Essex.

Badges

dougieginn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next