Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overseas for 2024

+15
Jackers
Wokoval
SimonH
VicNorth
guildfordbat
Vauxhall
Coatesy
Wedmore Wanderer
Badges
Steve
adelaide
offdrive4
Peter.M.Gardens
dougieginn
Benmug
19 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Overseas for 2024 Empty Overseas for 2024

Post by Steve Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:07 am

Has anyone heard any rumours on who we might get for next season?

I see Elgar is retiring would he come back after his stint in 2018/2019.

Hopefully Roach will be back.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Overseas for 2024 Empty Re: Overseas for 2024

Post by dougieginn Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:08 pm

Elgar would be a great signing,especially if we can get him for the whole CC season.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Rumour has it that Elgar is on his way to Essex,i'd like to see him back with us though.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:17 pm

dougieginn wrote:Elgar would be a great signing,especially if we can get him for the whole CC season.

I think we need someone for full season, and Dean Elgar would be a decent Hashim Amla type signing, but I think we have a pretty strong batting line up with Dan Lawrence joining. It would be good to have another left hander in the top order though.

I don't think Will Jacks will be playing much for Surrey so we'd likely need to look at our spin bowling options and ask is Virdi a first team option? How far do we rate Cameron Steel?
or should we sign an overseas batsman who can bowl a bit of spin? (ie a like for like replacement for Jacks in squad?)

I think Kemar Roach signing for our first 5 county matches is a no brainer, for both Surrey and for the player to get fit for West Indies tour. (with Atkinson, Topley, and both Currans unavailable in IPL)

White ball I think Sunil Narine (retired from Internationals) is another no brainer if he's available for whole of T20 blast and fully focused playing for Surrey, not just popping up for a few matches to get fit for the Hundred.

Could Aussie fast bowler Spencer Johnson who played for Oval Invincibles last season by available for Surrey at any point?

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:36 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:
dougieginn wrote:Elgar would be a great signing,especially if we can get him for the whole CC season.

I think we need someone for full season, and Dean Elgar would be a decent Hashim Amla type signing, but I think we have a pretty strong batting line up with Dan Lawrence joining. It would be good to have another left hander in the top order though.

I don't think Will Jacks will be playing much for Surrey so we'd likely need to look at our spin bowling options and ask is Virdi a first team option? How far do we rate Cameron Steel?
or should we sign an overseas batsman who can bowl a bit of spin? (ie a like for like replacement for Jacks in squad?)

I think Kemar Roach signing for our first 5 county matches is a no brainer, for both Surrey and for the player to get fit for West Indies tour. (with Atkinson, Topley, and both Currans unavailable in IPL)

White ball I think [b]Sunil Narine (retired from Internationals) is another no brainer if he's available for whole of T20 blast and fully focused playing for Surrey, not just popping up for a few matches to get fit for the Hundred. [/b]

Could Aussie fast bowler Spencer Johnson who played for Oval Invincibles last season by available for Surrey at any point?

I wouldn't touch that bling laden,tattooed twat with a bargepole after his devious antics last time round.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:15 pm

Badges wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote:
dougieginn wrote:]Sunil Narine

I wouldn't touch that bling laden,tattooed twat with a bargepole after his devious antics last time round.

There will be a T20 World Cup going on for our first 10 Vitality T20 matches so we need Overseas players who aren't going to be selected for that. eg Narine

The American League Cricket tournament starts 4th July so he'll only be available for those 10 games (as will Tom Curran and Jason Roy), but then Jacks, Sam Curran, Topley and Atkinson will potentially be back to play in the latter stages of our domestic T20.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:28 am

We don't want the twat back thankyou very much.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:44 am

Badges wrote:We don't want the twat back thankyou very much.

Laughing

Spencer Johnson playing in IPL so out of reckoning - would miss first 7 county matches.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:32 am

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:

Laughing

Spencer Johnson playing in IPL so out of reckoning - would miss first 7 county matches.

Why on earth would we want Johnson? He is 28 and has played 4 First Class games.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:14 pm

Badges wrote:
Peter.M.Gardens wrote:

Laughing

Why on earth would we want Johnson? He is 28 and has played 4 First Class games.

Johnson played for Oval Invincibles this summer and looked pretty good when I saw him, but as I said he's playing in IPL so not available.

We'd be primarily looking at players to cover first half of season to cover players missing for the IPL and World Cup, so someone who's first fully available and supplements our existing squad.

We don't really need a batsman with Lawrence coming in (to join Burns, Sibley, Pope and Smith) so its likely going to be two overseas bowlers (to cover for unavailability of Atkinson, Topley and Sam Curran, aswell as Jacks) our available attack would then be Worrall, Clarke, Lawes, Overton and Steel/Virdi, so you'd be looking at bowlers who add something we're missing, ie the pace of Atkinson or someone who can bowl a bit of spin if Virdi isn't deemed upto it.

I'd hope we'd get Kemar Roach for first 5 matches then at end of season ( a bit like this last season gone).

IMO number 2 overseas signing should then be a batting all-rounder who could bowl a bit of spin, perhaps someone left handed.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:49 pm

I think we will get a batsman as the ECB will restrict how many games Pope can play.

I hope Latham comes back.

Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:09 am

Steve wrote:I think we will get a batsman as the ECB will restrict how many games Pope can play.

He's a Left handed bat who can bat anywhere up the order, and if Foakes is in England squad could be an option to keep wicket.
Certainly ticks a lot of boxes, loads of international experience, likely missing out on selection for NZ in T20 World Cup, so could be available whole season.

Depends how strong we think our bowling is in relation to our batting, and if the likes of Topley/Sam Curran/Atkinson will be available to play second half of the season in red ball cricket, or not (i'd imagine not)

Tom Latham would strengthen what is a strong batting line-up.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:13 am

Atkinson could well not return if he plays well in India, remember he has been picked in the Test squad.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:10 pm

RB wrote:Atkinson could well not return if he plays well in India, remember he has been picked in the Test squad.

Thats the problem, we can't plan for Sam Curran, Reece Topley or Gus Atkinson being available at all next year for Surrey.

Be a bit unfair on a player like Tom Lawes if he played the first 8 or 9 county games to suddenly get dumped if all/some of those became available if there aren't any one day tournaments anywhere in the world for them to play in.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:00 pm

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:
Steve wrote:I think we will get a batsman as the ECB will restrict how many games Pope can play.

He's a Left handed bat who can bat anywhere up the order, and if Foakes is in England squad could be an option to keep wicket.
Certainly ticks a lot of boxes, loads of international experience, likely missing out on selection for NZ in T20 World Cup, so could be available whole season.

Depends how strong we think our bowling is in relation to our batting, and if the likes of Topley/Sam Curran/Atkinson will be available to play second half of the season in red ball cricket, or not (i'd imagine not)

Tom Latham would strengthen what is a strong batting line-up.
Still think Elgar a better bet for the whole season

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:53 pm

Frankly I don't think we want Curran or Topley .Currans form has been pants for months and Topley is always "injured" unless he's playing hit and giggle rubbish when he miraculously recovers. What we need more than anything is a top notch spinner, and and that isn't Virdi or Steele, or I'd take anyone rather than Virdi

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:22 pm

Chinaman wrote:Frankly I don't think we want Curran or Topley .Currans form has been pants for months and Topley is always "injured" unless he's playing hit and giggle rubbish when he miraculously recovers. What we need more than anything is a top notch spinner, and  and that isn't Virdi or Steele, or I'd take anyone rather than Virdi

It’s obvious that Stewart doesn’t agree with you as Virdi has just signed a new contract!!

dougieginn

Badges likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adelaide Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:09 pm

dougieginn wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Frankly I don't think we want Curran or Topley .Currans form has been pants for months and Topley is always "injured" unless he's playing hit and giggle rubbish when he miraculously recovers. What we need more than anything is a top notch spinner, and  and that isn't Virdi or Steele, or I'd take anyone rather than Virdi

It’s obvious that Stewart doesn’t agree with you as Virdi has just signed a new contract!!

However Batty does seem to agree with you. I presume he had some input into the decision though.

adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:44 pm

dougieginn wrote:

Looks good in the brochure when attracting sponsors when we can say we have "x" England internationals in our squad.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:00 pm

Virdi won't play because Batty will not pick him for the 1st 11. Steele will always be in front, at least he can bat and field.

Happy New Year folks!

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:01 pm

Chinaman wrote:Virdi won't play because Batty will not pick him for the 1st 11. Steele will always be in front, at least he can bat and field.

Happy New Year folks!
Yes but the important thing is can he bowl???

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:48 pm

dougieginn wrote:
Chinaman wrote:Virdi won't play because Batty will not pick him for the 1st 11. Steele will always be in front, at least he can bat and field.

Happy New Year folks!
Yes but the important thing is can he bowl???

Average (37 Ist Class wickets), but he has more strings to his bow than Virdi. If we go for a five pace attack again (and I can't see why not), Roach, Clarke, Worral, Lawes, Overton/Atkinson we will not use either of them. Lawrence (20 1st Class wickets)can develop his off breaks and maybe Sibley his once useful leg spin again.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:34 pm

I Reckon the Club May go back to Australia and sign Hardie who played up at Scarborough the season before last I think he is more a Batting All-Rounder he may not take has many wickets as Sean Abbott who I can’t see coming back.

Jhe10077

RightArmSlow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RB Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:34 pm

Re-signing Virdi makes sense in case we come up on a Bunsen burner.

RB

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:01 am

If he’s not Bowling regularly in First Class Cricket you can’t expect him to Bowl Teams without overs under he’s Belt.

Jhe10077

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next