Come On The 'Rey! - Surrey Cricket
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Somerset at the Oval

+18
Wokoval
Peter.M.Gardens
Coatesy
guildfordbat
Badges
Chinaman
offdrive4
dougieginn
gjones31
Steve
Jason
MatthewC
John Hamilton
SimonH
Sir Winston Churchill
adelaide
RB
Admin
22 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Somerset at the Oval - Page 8 Empty Re: Somerset at the Oval

Post by dougieginn Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:36 pm

Jackers wrote:Credit to the team for going for an unlikely run chase, but that only served to highlight the mistakes that were made in the first innings with regard to pace and the batting order.

I would hate to think that Ben Foakes batted above Jamie Smith and Dan Lawrence to give him batting practice before he is "rested" by England. I can see no other reason for it, especially given the platform which the openers had provided in response to a modest Somerset total.

At least there were no other positive results around the country, but make no mistake we should see this as a wasted opportunity.

Onwards to Canterbury, which given a Duke's ball and a decent forecast is another game we must look to win rather than just draw. There are rumours that both Pope and Foakes have been ordered to "rest" (yes, ridiculous...especially Pope). Let's see. The bowling selection will be interesting. I don't really care wich of the seamers (other than Clark) drops out, but Lawes must play.
I think Worrall should play if fit. Roach and Overton have taken 1 wicket each in 3 innings,time for a change I think!

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:53 pm

Jackers wrote:Credit to the team for going for an unlikely run chase, but that only served to highlight the mistakes that were made in the first innings with regard to pace and the batting order.

I would hate to think that Ben Foakes batted above Jamie Smith and Dan Lawrence to give him batting practice before he is "rested" by England. I can see no other reason for it, especially given the platform which the openers had provided in response to a modest Somerset total.

At least there were no other positive results around the country, but make no mistake we should see this as a wasted opportunity.

Onwards to Canterbury, which given a Duke's ball and a decent forecast is another game we must look to win rather than just draw. There are rumours that both Pope and Foakes have been ordered to "rest" (yes, ridiculous...especially Pope). Let's see. The bowling selection will be interesting. I don't really care wich of the seamers (other than Clark) drops out, but Lawes must play.

You also wonder if we are playing Overton to get him match fit for the T20 World Cup?

After the Sussex pre-season game when we played Overton way up the order ahead of Clark and Steel (and Geddes) you would have thought rather than coming in at 9 he should have been in at 6 or 7 to add impetus to the innings.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:08 pm

A great game of Cricket with some wonderful performances on both teams.Thankyou to all concerned.

Badges

SimonH and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:51 pm

Wicket takers after 2 games..................

Steel 14
Lawrence 7
Atkinson 4
Clark 2
Lawes 1
Roach 1

Badges

SimonH and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:57 pm

18 Championship matches. 1 victory.

VicNorth

SimonH and RB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:59 pm

VicNorth wrote:18 Championship matches. 1 victory.

Sounded like Middlesex record last season, but obviously we don't play that many matches
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm

Chinaman wrote:It's 4.50. But they'll shake on a draw.

What I meant. Obviously.

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm

If only we'd loaned them Reece Topley. Wink

(4 overs for 68 in IPL today.)

VicNorth

Back to top Go down

Post by offdrive4 Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Worrying that Roach was bowling medium pace, something wrong there and he did not seem right. The Steel mockers have been quiet recently. Had we taken a more positive approach on Saturday and held our catches we would have won this.

offdrive4

Jackers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

Haven’t seen any mentioned of it yet. Derek Underwood what a Fantastic Bowler 297 Test Wickets and apparently a Lovely fellow to go with it.Unplayable on uncovered wickets Remembering Particular Matches against Australia and Pakistan.

Jhe10077

dougieginn and Chinaman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaman Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

Jhe10077 wrote:Haven’t seen any mentioned of it yet. Derek Underwood what a Fantastic Bowler 297 Test Wickets and apparently a Lovely fellow to go with it.Unplayable on uncovered wickets Remembering  Particular Matches against Australia and Pakistan.

The Oval: Ashes 1968. 7/For after the famous spectators clean up. Last wicket everyone round the bat.
Someone once said "unplayable on a sticky". The days of uncovered wickets. Not really a true spinner, bowled almost at medium pace. Saw him once at Kent with Knott keeping! One of the greats certainly.

Chinaman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhe10077 Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 am

Night watchman against the West Indies in the 80s No Helmet.

Jhe10077

Wokoval likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am

I only saw Derek Underwood live towards the end of his career. If DRS was around in his career his wicket taking tally would no doubt have been even higher. Despite being very limited as a batsman he was very brave often being the night watchman when there were a lot of West Indian quicks around. I can remember him facing Sylvester Clarke.

Wokoval

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 am

Worth to note concerning our 1st Innings run rate:

Sibley/Burns partnership 167 in 51.1 Overs - run rate = 3.26
We then scored 261 runs in 84.1 Overs - run rate = 3.10

They say Burns and Sibley aren't bazzball, but they gave us an incredible platform to kick on and we didn't take it.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

guildfordbat, Sir Winston Churchill and The Heathen like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackers Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am

Peter.M.Gardens wrote:Worth to note concerning our 1st Innings run rate:

They say Burns and Sibley aren't bazzball, but they gave us an incredible platform to kick on and we didn't take it.

That, in a nutshell, cost us the victory. We did not need to go mad after Sibley and Burns were out, just score at about 4 an over for the rest of the innings. When you have a platform like that in such favourable batting conditions (weather and the kookaburra ball) that should be meat and drink. It certainly wasn't yesterday's early rain that did for us - we lost less time than should have been anticipated given the forecast.
Jackers
Jackers

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VicNorth Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am

VicNorth

Badges and Wokoval like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Badges Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

Derek Underwood played in the first Cricket match i ever attended.Surrey v Kent at The Oval in 1966.I saw him play many times including that 1968 Test but not on the final day!

I remember him bowling a string of maidens at Ken Barrington from the Vauxhall end and a bloke giving Barrington stick from the crowd because of it.Barrington then walked over and offered the mouthy bloke his bat to see if he could do better!

I met him a few times in the last ten years or so,getting him to sign books etc and he was indeed a very nice,friendly man.

RIP a true Cricket great.

Badges

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Exactly. And that 3.10 rate would have been even lower but for Jamie O bumping it up towards the end.

After reaching his half ton, the sainted Foakes scored three singles and a two off his next 25 deliveries before getting out on the 26th.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Exactly. And that 3.10 rate would have been even lower but for Jamie O bumping it up towards the end.

After reaching his half ton, the sainted Foakes scored three singles and a two off his next 25 deliveries before getting out on the 26th.

Between Lawrence and Steels wickets we scored 87 runs in 34.5 Overs = 2.498 Run Rate.

Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Coatesy Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 pm

There has been a bit of talk about the use of the Kookaburra ball and the high scores that have been seen across the 1st 2 rounds of fixtures

here is what Rob Key thinks

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cricket/england-s-rob-key-backs-kookaburra-ball-for-full-time-use-in-county-cricket/ar-BB1lIldh?
ocid=entnewsntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=4b4197c20985455ba540bf0d7faec1a8&ei=9

Coatesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

Coatesy wrote:There has been a bit of talk about the use of the Kookaburra ball and the high scores that have been seen across the 1st 2 rounds of fixtures

here is what Rob Key thinks

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cricket/england-s-rob-key-backs-kookaburra-ball-for-full-time-use-in-county-cricket/ar-BB1lIldh?
ocid=entnewsntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=4b4197c20985455ba540bf0d7faec1a8&ei=9

"Surrey, the defending champions, have already taken more wickets with spin (18) than the whole of last season (17)."

Cam Steel must agree 100% with Key, keep the Kookabura ball forever!
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by Wokoval Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

The sooner Rob Key leaves his position the better as far as I am concerned. The Kookaburra trial has been inconclusive in my view. Pitches are different in this country. You are not going to get pace and bounce in early April especially after the winter rain we have had. A lot of drawn matches although many weather affected. Very pleased to see more spin bowling especially leg spin. Will be interesting to see what changes when we move back to the Dukes ball. Interested to see other views.

Wokoval

Sir Winston Churchill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex! Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm

I'd rather have my bollocks cut off

Alex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter.M.Gardens Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm

Have any of the Aussies excelled using the Kookabura ball yet, you'd have thought there'd be one or two perfomances from them using a ball they are used to but I can't think of anyone standing out. I think Lyons 5 wickets so far is the pick of their bowlers and Renshaw is the pick of their batsman with that 87 against us. eg Scott Boland has been described as bang average so far, will he improve with Dukes ball?

Inconclusive is the least you can say about this ball.
Peter.M.Gardens
Peter.M.Gardens

Back to top Go down

Post by dougieginn Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:01 pm

Jhe10077 wrote:Haven’t seen any mentioned of it yet. Derek Underwood what a Fantastic Bowler 297 Test Wickets and apparently a Lovely fellow to go with it.Unplayable on uncovered wickets Remembering  Particular Matches against Australia and Pakistan.

On one of the wall plaques around the ground it mentions the match against the Aussies,but describes him as being an OFF SPINNER ?? Unless they’ve changed it since then.

dougieginn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next